Fanfic Activity: Re-creating the "Tales From The"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Creative Works View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote  

I like the idea of an ancient treasure being the common element. I also agree each story should be able to stand alone. That will give each of us more freedom in writing our stories.

As for characters, I would think that would be up to each writer. Most Tales Of stories use new characters or minor characters in the lead roles.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Xim's treasure, maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't Xim's treasure found by Han Solo?

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

SidiousThrawn wrote:

Yes, but that doesn't mean there weren't previous attempts to find it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

So, a bunch of groups going after pirate treasure?

That idea has a lot of potential. Especially, if it is spread over many different eras.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

SidiousThrawn wrote:

What, Xim's only allowed to have one treasure trove? Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

VileZero wrote:
SidiousThrawn wrote:

What, Xim's only allowed to have one treasure trove? Wink

Truth. We could easily have another of Xim's treasures. After all, he was the son of a pirate-prince before becoming a despot.

This might allow someone to tell the treasure's origin story too (not me; I'm not big into the Xim era, I was hoping to do something in the TOR era). That author needs only to share where the item ends up, so that the next person knows where to look.

So, we would each need to reveal the following details with each other in advance:

-Era (year, if possible; we can then arramge everything in chronological order)

-The general type of the characters involved (we want to make sure that we're all not doing the same type of character.)

-Where the treasure will end up at the end (the next author needs to either start with the treasure there, or be able to tell, either explicitly or through in-dialogue rumor/hearsay, how the treasure ends up where the main characters find it/look for it.)

I'm putting a reservation on a TOR-era story. I have some ideas of how such a treasure might be of value to the Sith Empire (it would not be Force-related, but I have thoughts).

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd like to put my name down for a Dark Times/Original Trilogy story.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have a thought: People should PM me with those details I requested (the planet where the treasure ends up can be TBD, since we're still early in the game), and I will combine them into one post (this one). I've added the names of everyone who has shown even remote interest; if you name isn't on here, still PM me (if it is but you changed your mind, also PM me and I'll remove it). We can have multiple stories in the same timeframe (especially film eras), but they should be at least a few years apart each (so VileZero will need to provide a more narrow timeframe shortly).

Now, we need to establish what the treasure is. We know it started with Xim. Thoughts?

Now, someone earlier suggested using Google Docs for this. I'm not entirely sure how that would work, but that's just my unfamiliarity with the software. It sounds like a good idea, so any advice would be appreciated:

Taral-DLOS
Era or year: TOR, approximately 3,647 BBY
Character type: A Sith Lord, his apprentice, and some hired guns.
Planet where treasure ends up: Dromund Kaas

VileZero
Era or year: Dark Times/Original Trilogy (TBD)
Character type:
Planet where treasure ends up:

Caedus_16
Era or year: 27 ABY
Character type: Yuuzhan Vong Shaper
Planet where treasure ends up: Duro

Darth Skuldren
Era or year:
Character type:

DannikJerriko
Era or year: Pre-Episode I (c. 33 BBY)
Character type:

Jedi Joe
Era or year:
Character type:

SidiousThrawn
Era or year: 10 BBY
Character type: Chiss Science Officer
Planet where treasure ends up: Nirauan

Dancelittleewok
Era or year:
Character type:

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

Last edited by Taral-DLOS on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:31 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Era: NJO 27 years ABY
Character Type: Yuuzhan Vong Shaper
Planet where the treasure ends up: Duro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

T-DLOS, I don't know how to PM. Embarassed

Era or Year: 10 BBY
Character Type: Chiss Science Officer
Planet Where Treasure Ends Up: Nirauan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

ST, do you see at the bottom of every comment that there's some buttons saying 'back to top' 'profile' and 'private messaging' (as well as some other optional ones like 'msn' or 'AIM')? Find a post by someone you want to PM and then click on the 'private messaging' button on their post. Alternatively, you can check out their profile, and it'll be on the contact board, with the same button.

Or, you could go to the 'private messages' tab on the top bar of every page, click 'new message', and then in the box where you're asked to put a username in of the person you want to PM, type in the person's full and correct username Smile .
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote  

If the treasure is going to move from planet to planet, it needs to be a bit more mobile than the treasure that was in the Han Solo books: useless droids, armor plating, and old lasers.

One angle would be it's an item treasured by the Hutts, thus they are willing to pay a lot of credits to get it, which could play as a power piece for multiple factions seeking to hold sway over the Hutts and Hutt Space. It could be something as simple as Kossak the Hutt's battle helm (one of the Hutts in The Essential Guide to Warfare had a helmet), or Boonta the Hutt's field baton.

Alternatively, it could be an object of great power, or believed power. Perhaps a Rakatan device with mysterious capabilities. Something that has various, even contradictory legends which would entice different factions. Maybe the device was supposedly capable of removing the Force from an individual and trapping it inside. A crude scientific toy used by the Rakatans to engineer Force sensitive creatures and beings suitable as Force wielding slaves.

Then again, maybe other legends say the device was used by the Rakatans to create sentience in droids. This was later obtained by Xim who tried to use it to create smarter war bots.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Life Is The Path wrote:
ST, do you see at the bottom of every comment that there's some buttons saying 'back to top' 'profile' and 'private messaging' (as well as some other optional ones like 'msn' or 'AIM')? Find a post by someone you want to PM and then click on the 'private messaging' button on their post. Alternatively, you can check out their profile, and it'll be on the contact board, with the same button.

Or, you could go to the 'private messages' tab on the top bar of every page, click 'new message', and then in the box where you're asked to put a username in of the person you want to PM, type in the person's full and correct username Smile .

Thank you LITP.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I like the idea that the treasure is some ancient Hutt artifact, like the two suggestions from Skudren (Kossak's Battle Helm, Boonta's Field Baton, etc.) I'm a little more resistant to the idea of something Rakatan (or anything Force-based), since we want this to appeal to any character in Star Wars. Caedus_16's YV shaper would have little use with a Force-imbued artifact, and a random smuggler in the Imperial period wouldn't care either.

One should think that the treasure should do more than simply "be valuable [to someone]", but it can be simply an ancient object of immense value. That works too.

Thoughts?

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Creative Works

Page 3 of 5