Football
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Sorry Mara, but Tebow is amazing. He's the opposite of LeBron James - bad for the first three quarters and amazing in the end. He just finds a way to win, and he's done that all his life. I love that he's shutting up the stat geeks and the fantasy football experts who so often forget the most important number at the end of the day - wins. Tebow will never make a pro bowl. He'll never win an MVP or offensive player award. But don't say I didn't warn you when Tebow has a Super Bowl ring or two. I've never seen anyone who can lack so many of the skills the experts say are needed to be an elite NFL QB and still find a way to WIN at the end. Think about all of the NFL QBs with better arms than Tebow who just lose, lose, lose.

All of the experts say you need a QB who can throw the ball. But why? If the QB can lead the offense to a win with his legs, who cares? I think it's a myth that a good QB has to be able to throw the ball. I don't think defenses are just going to catch up to him... look at all of the great running QBs in the past. Defenses didn't just suddenly realize that the dudes could run and then shut down their running abilities.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Old Master Ben wrote:
Sorry Mara, but Tebow is amazing. He's the opposite of LeBron James - bad for the first three quarters and amazing in the end. He just finds a way to win, and he's done that all his life. I love that he's shutting up the stat geeks and the fantasy football experts who so often forget the most important number at the end of the day - wins. Tebow will never make a pro bowl. He'll never win an MVP or offensive player award. But don't say I didn't warn you when Tebow has a Super Bowl ring or two. I've never seen anyone who can lack so many of the skills the experts say are needed to be an elite NFL QB and still find a way to WIN at the end. Think about all of the NFL QBs with better arms than Tebow who just lose, lose, lose.

All of the experts say you need a QB who can throw the ball. But why? If the QB can lead the offense to a win with his legs, who cares? I think it's a myth that a good QB has to be able to throw the ball. I don't think defenses are just going to catch up to him... look at all of the great running QBs in the past. Defenses didn't just suddenly realize that the dudes could run and then shut down their running abilities.

Amen brotha!!! Preach it!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote  

Giants win and are in the Super Bowl!! Truly an amazing game.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, this is parity in the NFL. Two playoff games decided by stupid punt returners.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Fans and students gathered at Penn State over the weekend to remember Joe Paterno.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Tomorrow is Super Bowl XLVI. I'm not watching it, but what team are you rooting for?

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Giants! I have two classes riding on the Giants winning, so they better step it up. We were allowed to make predictions in two of my classes for the Super Bowl winner. If we're right, we get points out of it! *rustles pom-poms* Go Giants! Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote  

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Giants! I have two classes riding on the Giants winning, so they better step it up. We were allowed to make predictions in two of my classes for the Super Bowl winner. If we're right, we get points out of it! *rustles pom-poms* Go Giants! Very Happy

Yes! Go Giants! pom-poms aren't my thing but I'll join you on the Giants side of EUC waving a Giants flag in support! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote  

Giants win 21-17! I didn't want to post this prior to the game ending for fear I would jinx the outcome but I thought this was a rather funny video predicting the outcome of the Super Bowl: http://www.1up.com/news/skyrim-predicts-super-bowl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The clock operator was clearly rooting for the Giants on that last drive. I think about 10 seconds were burned off the clock when it should have been stopped, which would given the Patriots one more play at the very least.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Peyton Manning. Discuss!

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

His name brings to mind an image of someone with a 70s moustache. Does he have one?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I hate to have to do this. Really, it pains me. But I am a bitter man.

@Mara - I told you so. The Saints had a great season when they won the Super Bowl... but they don't deserve the win vs the Vikings. I've always thought that, and now it's official. Shame on them. And to think Favre almost beat them anyway.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Wow, I'm surprised at you, Ben. Were the Saints wrong for the bounty? Yes. Were they only ones doing it? No. Are they the only ones being punished? Yes. Is the NFL aware of the inconsistency? Yes. None of that adds up. Not to mention...! The biggest issue I have with you saying that is that it has NOTHING to do with them winning the Chamionship, and certainly not the Super Bowl. How in the world was the bounty the cause of all those fumbles? How was the bounty the reason Favre threw the interception? How did the bounty cause the Vikings to leave 12 men in the huddle? I'll grant that the Vikings were probably the better team that night, but they gave it away! They messed up so many times, they did not deserve the win. I'm really sad you're blaming their loss on this bounty system. It has nothing whatsoever to do with all the mistakes the Vikings made that night. Sad

And to start getting on my soap box, so what if the Saints had a bounty system? They never hurt anyone worse than any other team. The 49ers absolutely knocked Pierre Thomas out. He was out of the game, and there wasn't even a penalty. The bounty system may have been wrong, but nobody got hurt anymore than normal. Absolutely no one was carted off the field, unlike some Saints players who were. Even Kurt Warner has recently said:

Kurt Warner: "I never felt that there was anything illegal. I don't believe they were ever trying to hit me low or hit my head."

Where are the videos of all the dirty hits that resulted, all the injured players, all the players carted right off the field? Oh, there aren't any. Not really. I will grant you that a couple of the hits on Favre were unfair, but those players have already been fined for such. And anyway, why didn't the Vikings protect Favre? A defense is always trying to sack the QB. Always. That is one of their jobs. if the Vikings couldn't protect Favre, that's their problem. How come they weren't sacking Drew Brees? Because they couldn't get to him. And anyway, none of that has anything to do with the reason the Vikings made so many mistakes that night. That was their own fault.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Placing a bounty on a player will impact the game. If Favre had an ankle to run on instead of this - http://www.courtsidepost.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Brett-Favre-ankle1.jpg, he goes five yards for the first down instead of throwing across the field for the interception. Getting to the QB is their job. Hurting the QB is not. It doesn't matter what Kurt felt they were doing - the NFL has evidence that they were acting maliciously. Vilmer offered $10,000 to the player who could knock Favre out of the game.

Dirty play - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC1T1tAbA4s

Dirty play - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVstdameKqs (first Favre INT of the game - often forgotten).

I can't believe you're defending the bounties. Defending that you would have won the game anyway, fine. And I know you said the bounties were wrong, but you also say why it shouldn't be such a big deal. Just because everyone was doing it means we should just say so what? And the above shows injuries that were a result of the bounty system - would those injuries have happened without it? Injuries in sports should ALWAYS be accidental. At every level. Trying to injure someone else purposefully is wrong, no matter how many people were doing it, no matter how many injuries would have happened anyway. A cart doesn't equal the worst. Kurt Warner never played again. That hit made him realize it's to risky to play the sport. I don't care how severe the injury is - you can't aim to hurt. You just can't. I don't need to see players hurt in the worst way to think it's awful.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by your reaction. An ESPN poll has 45% of the nation thinking Vilma's suspension length was too harsh, 45% say just right, and 10% too lenient. But the state of Louisiana voted 84% too harsh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 15 of 17