Hunger Games (Spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Hank Green video on the message of the Hunger Games, and it's reflections on society.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I think THG goes beyond our society. Yes, Panem is a reflection of our (i.e. Western) culture, but THG addresses a larger issue: the unchanging human heart. You can pretty up our countries all you want, but ultimately it isn't the system that's the problem - it's us. I didn't fully appreciate this until my re-reading when I viewed the first two books in a different light after Mockingjay. The Greco-Roman character names struck me as a little odd the first time, but now I see that it ties into the theme of history repeating itself. In many ways Panem is like ancient Rome, yet it's a not-too-unimaginable future for our culture. When we see Panem becoming a Republic again (how often has that happened in history?), we might feel good until we hear Plutarch talking excitedly about his plans for producing a new American Idol-esque reality show. Then we know the rebellion was ultimately for naught and that the cycle will begin all over again.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Lionsgate has confirmed Francis Lawrence as director for Catching Fire. Thank God, no more shaky cam.

http://is.gd/tcFBeO

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I honestly didn't mind the shaky cam.

Francis Lawrence is gonna do great though, I love his cinematography.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I'm not going to be watching this movie, so who directs it doesn't really affect me, though I would like to weigh in on the subject of shaky cam.

I have no problem with shaky cam, when it's used sparingly. Much the same as I'm okay with lens flare and slow motion moments. They're okay, but they should be used sparingly. Take Firefly, for instance. For the crew of Firefly, hand-held cams were used, with shaky/unsteady effects - yet for the government and its employees, steadycam (and sweeping shots) were used. So I'm inclined to think not overusing and using them in contextually correct scenes is best.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I liked the shaky cam and I wouldn't be surprised if it makes its way into Catching Fire, because it masked the violence.

I'm not feeling good about Francis Lawrence. He's made three movies (I haven't seen any of them) and two have a rotten rating on Rotten Tomatoes and the other has a decent 69%. Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. Lionsgate had better directors in consideration, but they couldn't fit in the tight schedule. The rush to get these movies out will kill the franchise, mark my words.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Reep: Don't trust Rotten Tomatoes man. They are notorious for their critics letting trivial things get in the way. One guy rates everything without an African-American male lead with a 20% or less because its racist, another will give anything with Nicholas Cage rave reviews. Rotten Tomatoes is a place where people are paid for opinions, and I don't trust them as much as metacritic and such.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

His ratings on Metacritic are even worse. Wink

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, I liked I am Legend and Constantine. I think he's a good fit for Catching Fire. I Am Legend is also post-apocalyptic so he can do that.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I Am Legend was great, but Constantine could have been better to me. But I Am Legend was more recent and shows more maturity as a director so I'm ok with his appointment.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I loved Constantine! Such an underrated flick, IMO. I Am Legend, however, I didn't like at all. Well, I liked the first half. Then I thought it really stunk. But both movies had a nice period in developmental hell, so you can't really put their faults on the director.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I've never seen any of Lawrence's films, so I have no opinion right now.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I Am Legend was totally awesome, the ending could have been better though.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

VileZero wrote:
I loved Constantine! Such an underrated flick, IMO. I Am Legend, however, I didn't like at all. Well, I liked the first half. Then I thought it really stunk. But both movies had a nice period in developmental hell, so you can't really put their faults on the director.

Constantine took a good graphic novel and did odd things with it. Honestly I hated Shia, other than that it was a decent film, but the need to toss him in as obnoxious comic relief took away from it for me.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm going to watch either Constantine or I Am Legend (probably the latter) in the near future so I can judge for myself.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 12 of 13