EUC Weekly Opinion Columns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Bonus column today! Nanci shares her thoughts on the need for more books focusing on females in the EU: http://www.eucantina.net/archives/11959

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I understand the frustration. I don't necessarily want to see characters like Jaina, Saba, Seha, Tenel Ka, Tahiri etc because they're female but because they're good characters and deserve more attention then they're getting.

About the young Leia novels though, I'm pretty sure there was a book or series planned, but it was scrapped in light of the live action show.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DannikJerriko wrote:
I do always enjoys Andrew's articles, I went back through the Dissection archives a few weeks ago, all amazing! Well done!

Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, it was another great dissection. Great job in presenting the facts as always.

As for the "more women" article. It was an interresting read and well written, but I only partly agree with it. I think women do pretty good in the GFFA and have from the beginning and would even argue that Leia stars or at least co-stars in the bigger part of the post-ROTJ EU. As most other novels or comics have co-starred strong women also.
We do have characters like Mara Jade, Kerra Holt or Rianna Saren starring their own stories and Jaina will undoubtedly get more stories in the future. We have strong women like all the female Jedi, Ventress, Daala or Shada D'ukal co-starring in almost every story. Women who aren't just there to look pretty, but play vital parts in the stories.
I'm not saying I wouldn't want to see some GOOD novels starring a lady, but it would have to be interresting story just as it has to be with novels starring a male. Something like a Darth Zannah novel would star two women, but still only continue on with a story we where already following so that wouldn't feel forced (I've no interrest in Twilight Saga-like or other too chick-oriented EU tales).
I wouldn't want them to start writing obligatory novels starring a female if there isn't a great story to put the character in nor do I think that the male dominated audience is really despirately waiting for young Padme novels (I mean come on. She was 14 when we first saw her. How young should she possibly be in those stories? Five Confused ) or a whole series of young Leia novels (A novel could be nice though).

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Agreed. Focus on the story first. Don't put a male or female lead in the story simply because they're male or female.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

New Expanding the Clone Wars for the episode "Bounty" is online - http://www.eucantina.net/archives/12021

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

New Star Wars Dissection - The Omnibus Program: http://www.eucantina.net/archives/12069

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

New Expanding the Clone Wars for the episode "Brothers" is online - http://www.eucantina.net/archives/12093

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

We've got a new EU Action/Reaction on the front page - http://www.eucantina.net/archives/11915

It's called, "Let's Stop Thinking About Gender."

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I completely misread this line:

Quote:
The fact that the executive director and fiction/comic editor at Lucas Licensing has been a female for a long time

I thought you were saying that Sue Rostoni has been a woman for a long time! Laughing .

Good article. On the one hand, I can sort of see where people are coming in regards to wanting more women, but at the same time I really just want a decent story with good characters.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The first article of my new segment, Life in The Old Republic, was posted today. Check it out!

This new feature will offer a look at the different aspects of The Old Republic, from gameplay to story to features, etc. etc. etc.

Let me know if there's anything you'd want me to feature in the segment!

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Love the new segment! It's great for someone like me, who doesn't have the ability to play TOR (money, PC requirements, etc.)! Looking forward to more!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I can only parrot OMB's sentiments. The storylines have been of particular interest to me, since the TOR wiki hasn't been of much use in that department. Thanks for the information!
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I third that!

I realize that you're not writing a walkthrough Taral-DLOS, but I hope your articles will include some of the more funny/strange/emotional side quests (or NPCs you meet, conversations,...) ,beside the main story ones.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hogy wrote:
I third that!

I realize that you're not writing a walkthrough Taral-DLOS, but I hope your articles will include some of the more funny/strange/emotional side quests (or NPCs you meet, conversations,...) ,beside the main story ones.

As I come across them, I will. Next post will look at statistics, for example, and will reflect Light/Dark points. I've noticed a lot of cool side-quests that were interesting in that respect (where I was aiming to go Dark, but the Dark choice was just too far.)

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 10 of 11