LotF vs. FotJ
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is better?
Legacy of the Force
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Fate of the Jedi
75%
 75%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 12

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:52 am Reply with quote  

For me, the death of Mara was a bad thing for several reasons.

Firstly, her death didn't serve the purpose it was intended at that point. One could argue whether or not a character death was needed at that point in the series. However, Mara's death was a pretty lousy fill in for Jacen's sacrifice. A big deal was made about how Jacen needed to do a sacrifice to complete his Sith transformation. The problem is, Mara didn't serve that purpose. After killing Mara, Jacen still dithers on whether Mara was the right choice, and whether he's really completed his transformation.

When he killed Mara, Jacen didn't care about her. He'd already disowned both his parents (and tried to kill them) by this point. How is killing his aunt more significant? Even Luke would not have been insufficient. A Sith's sacrifice is something they really love. There was only one thing Jacen really loved, and that was Allana. Had he killed her, he would have completed his Sith transformation and severed his attachments completely. It was the only right choice, and the authors decided to not go there. They used Mara instead, and it just didn't work. The emotional pull wasn't there (in relation to Jacen's character).

Secondly, from a broader perspective, killing Mara diminished the entire EU. I'm not saying it was the end of the EU, but it certainly hurt the EU. Mara was the most prominent female character in Star Wars and removing her created a massive whole, one that still hasn't been filled. In time the damage can be undone, but taking that kind of hit in retrospect seems like a bad move on the publisher's part.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Werehunter wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
Possibly, but the Noghri don't have too much experience killing Jedi (or Sith). Fett does.

Possibly. We really don't know what all the Noghri were used for when they acted as commandos for the Empire. It's not outside the realm of possibility that the Empire used them to hunt hidden Jedi. There are very few books, where Fett is killing Jedi, in fact when I did a quick search when it was first mentioned in Traviss' book that Fett was the expert in killing Jedi, I didn't find one book where he actually did.

In point of fact, there has never been a book, comic, short story, or other where Fett has ever killed any force-using-light-saber-wielder (Jedi, sith or other). Its interesting that so much of his reputation (out of universe at least) is built on that erroneous fact.

I suppose you could say "well, all the Fett clones killed thousands of jedi", but that's not Boba Fett, nor was it a single clone (in almost any case), nor did Fett have that knowledge to pass on.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:
For me, the death of Mara was a bad thing for several reasons.

Firstly, her death didn't serve the purpose it was intended at that point. One could argue whether or not a character death was needed at that point in the series. However, Mara's death was a pretty lousy fill in for Jacen's sacrifice. A big deal was made about how Jacen needed to do a sacrifice to complete his Sith transformation. The problem is, Mara didn't serve that purpose. After killing Mara, Jacen still dithers on whether Mara was the right choice, and whether he's really completed his transformation.

When he killed Mara, Jacen didn't care about her. He'd already disowned both his parents (and tried to kill them) by this point. How is killing his aunt more significant? Even Luke would not have been insufficient. A Sith's sacrifice is something they really love. There was only one thing Jacen really loved, and that was Allana. Had he killed her, he would have completed his Sith transformation and severed his attachments completely. It was the only right choice, and the authors decided to not go there. They used Mara instead, and it just didn't work. The emotional pull wasn't there (in relation to Jacen's character).

Secondly, from a broader perspective, killing Mara diminished the entire EU. I'm not saying it was the end of the EU, but it certainly hurt the EU. Mara was the most prominent female character in Star Wars and removing her created a massive whole, one that still hasn't been filled. In time the damage can be undone, but taking that kind of hit in retrospect seems like a bad move on the publisher's part.

For me, it wasn't so much that Mara, herself, was the sacrifice. But rather what else Jacen sacrificed by that single action. Before that one action, he could have done back and his family would have accepted and forgiven him. But once he killed Mara, there was no way he could get back the love he once had. Everyone he cared about would turn away from him the moment they learned the truth. His student, his lover, his sister, his parents, his uncle and teacher, and very likely his daughter once she was old enough. Not to mention all the friendships he had built over the years. All of it was thrown away with that single action.

It's also part of why I'd love a story where the sacrifice line turned out to be a lie. That he didn't have to sacrifice anything to be a Sith Lord, but he was told that to ensure that he cut off any option he had to turn back. Just like the Emperor did with Anakin by having him lead the attack on the Temple. Once that was done, there's no way those he loved could ever continue to do so.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth_Henning wrote:

In point of fact, there has never been a book, comic, short story, or other where Fett has ever killed any force-using-light-saber-wielder (Jedi, sith or other). Its interesting that so much of his reputation (out of universe at least) is built on that erroneous fact.

I suppose you could say "well, all the Fett clones killed thousands of jedi", but that's not Boba Fett, nor was it a single clone (in almost any case), nor did Fett have that knowledge to pass on.

I did think there were, but since I'm not a huge Fett fan I didn't want to claim there was none since I wasn't sure.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

FotJ, Daala's in control. Still hate Tahiri but, this series has been more interesting than LotJ.

Two of my favorite characters died in LofJ: Mara and Pellaeon. Crying or Very sad

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Exactly Were. It's interesting to note that sacrifice is a major part of Cadeus storyline, but it is not actually a part of Sith dogma. Sith value powerful emotions and in that way they don't really reject the idea of love. They just reject selflessness. In the end Jacen's true sacrifice was himself which is clear in both LOTF and his retconned fall in FOTJ.

I think we need a Legacy Of the Force appreciation thread.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 2