Fandom Apocalypse?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote  

Well I can honestly say that I am still loving Star Wars in all its mediums. I try to read all the books, and I read quite a few of the comics, plus I watch the TV series. I still like all three. I really don't have any gripes with Star Wars right now.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'll admit that Star Wars, my first and once my primary fandom, has taken a backseat to my other fandoms. I still love it, but I'm not particularly excited about most of the upcoming releases. With the exception of the new X-Wing book, though. I'm pretty stoked about that one.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote  

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
With the exception of the new X-Wing book, though. I'm pretty stoked about that one.

Likewise, I'm really looking forward to that. Overall I'm not too interested in how things have gone. Personally my biggest gripe is the time span of the Clone Wars. I just wish they'd retcon things to make it 10-15 years (if Lucas can make it so Greedo shot first surely he can do this).

I've mainly only picked up books that are taking place during the Galactic Civil War or stuff involving the Old Republic. TCW tv series has just made it worse with its various continuity issues and I think it also demonstrates how the short time span of the wars hamstrings what you can do. Namely, campaigns involving the main characters can't be remarkably long or else they'd be stuck doing 1 thing for the greater part of the war. The Galatic Civil War had the depth to let characters be involved in things that take weeks/months to develop without it eating into their participation in other campaigns/battles.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I love SW but, like many of you, there are things I do not like. The Head of the Empire and a Jedi having a romantic relationship is just wrong. Imperials and Jedi should always be on the opposite sides of the field. While I will buy the rest of the series for my collection, I can't say I'll reread it over and over like I've done many of the other books.

I really like Yularen but, in EIV he is an ISB Colonel and not an Admiral. In TCW, he is an Admiral. Why/how did his rank change from Admiral to Colonel?

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Times change - the Empire has changed. It's been a long time since a Sith was the head of the Empire. By Jag's time, sure, many of the Moffs are greedy and power hungry, but are they so different to certain political figures in the New Republic/Galactic Alliance ? When you consider how many of the senators behaved during the Vong War, especially at the time of the fall of Coruscant, they were just as bad as any of the Moffs.

Jag is not a conventional Imperial. He was raised in a society with a strong emphasis on order and conformity, like the Empire, but he himself is not old-school Imperial. His father, Soontir, was forced to join the Imperial Navy. He liked the orderliness and believed the propaganda that they were protecting people, but when Soontir saw that the Empire had become corrupt, he defected to the Rebellion. Before being made Head of the Empire, Jag had spent more time in the NR/GA than he did in the Imperial Remnant, and he learned a lot from the people he met there. Jag is 100% Corellian, and the nephew of Wedge Antilles, and this side of him is much more apparent now he's grown up and spent more time away from his father and the Chiss.

I think it's more realistic to show the Empire changing as the older generations pass on/lose power. Jaina and Jag were in a relationship years before he was made Head of the Empire (and it wasn't something he wanted for himself, it was forced on him), so why should it suddenly be wrong for these two people to love one another now ? Jag hasn't suddenly turned into a dictator. Surely it's the right thing for Jaina to bring the two sides together by the union. Conciliation and redemption is the Jedi way, after all.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Well, I still love SW, always will. But FOTJ and LOTF were just major letdowns for me, not to mention the games as of late, I'm hoping something great comes out soon.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Another thing that seems cool; Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison. Once the TPB comes out, I'll be all over it like a lemon. Big Three stuff doesn't appeal to me, but I've realised that getting into Vader's psyche (especially during the Dark Times) really interests me.

Edit: The preview looks awesome.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DannikJerriko wrote:
Another thing that seems cool; Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison. Once the TPB comes out, I'll be all over it like a lemon. Big Three stuff doesn't appeal to me, but I've realised that getting into Vader's psyche (especially during the Dark Times) really interests me.

Edit: The preview looks awesome.

Same, Darth Vader is definitely an interesting character. I've added this new story to my comic list and will be collecting it as it comes out Smile

Jedi vs Sith
 PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Personally, my biggest complaint with Star Wars right now is the Jedi vs Sith in LOTF and FOTJ. We already have the Old Republic, which I feel is a much more interesting way to portray the conflict. I mean, with these other Sith out there with more numbers and with leaders just as powerful as the Emperor, I just wonder what was so special about Anakin being the chosen one? He didn't do anything other than what these other Jedi are now having to do all over again. When Timothy Zahn wrote his hand of Thrawn Duology, and then Survivor's Quest I got hugely into star wars again, just for the change with the plots and bad guys, then New Jedi Order and Dark Nest took it to whole new level! Which is partly why I'm really hoping for some more new villains for the Jedi, and many more Non-Jedi books post-FOTJ. Heres hoping they can deliver!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I know what you mean. The Star Wars mythology is incoherent right now and it's hard to take seriously when the creator himself doesn't seem to take it seriously. Star Wars is on a real down swing for me. Sad

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The novels have gotten pretty weak, especially since it took them the same amount of time to put out a mediocre, 9-book series (FOTJ) as it did to put out an epic, 19-book series (NJO). But the comics are at an all time high. Everything released in May and June has been great, IMO. The cartoon looks great, continuity issues aside. I think Star Wars has its ups and downs like anything and won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

You can't entirely blame Del Ray for the time it took to put out FOTJ. It's not their fault that one of the authors had a major heart attack partway through writing the series. Once one book was delayed, that would impact on the production of all their other titles - editors and pagesetters etc would need to be switched from one job to another and launch dates rearranged.

Maybe they used the enforced break to assess the series and the fan reaction, and then maybe had to consider new material from the comics and tv, which caused some changes and re-writes, further delaying things.

Fotj
 PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Honestly, I actually liked FOTJ. And when you look at it compared with what they were left with after LOTF (which I did not like even remotely as much) they did a pretty decent job IMO. What they need now is just new plots (NOT Jedi vs. Sith!) and to let the new generation of characters take over. I'm no way ready to see the Big Three gone, but I am ready to see Jaina, Ben, and the other Jedi and young pilots in Rogue Squadron finally become main characters alongside them, instead of just supporting characters, which is where I feel FOTJ biggest drawback was. I actually think they took a step back in terms of younger/new character development.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

They've been taking steps backwards with the younger generation ever since the NJO concluded. They did such an amazing job of ushering in the new generation of characters and building them throughout the NJO. And then...I don't know what happened. But they just threw it all away. It's like somebody said, "Nah, we want to get to the next Skywalker, that's what's really important." So fast-forward five years at the expense of everyone else and produce a character so whiny and shallow that nobody likes him anyway. Then spend another series trying to fix that error.

I don't know, I guess I just feel that they sacrificed the Solo kids for Ben, which was a huge mistake in my book. And not just the Solo kids, but every younger character from the NJO. Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

At least LOTF introduced Syal and Myri Antilles as adults. Then used them patchily (Allston's books) before they were forgotten altogether in FOTJ. Still, at least Myri's back for Mercy Kill !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 2 of 6