General New Jedi Order Era Disscusion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I am really glad that did not come to pass.

Sibling rivalry? Really? its an interesting concept, but its really out of character for them, and doesn't seem like Star Wars to me.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Yeah, the authors would really have had to go some to convince me that the Solos' sibling rivalry (just because the youngest falls in love ?) is enough to make them fight one another to the death. It would need the Twins to both fall to the dark side - lethal sibling rivalry is hardly a Jedi thing is it ? Really, Luke's wisdom and the whole Jedi Order would start to look rather shaky.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote  

I like the idea of Anakin falling in love with a Vong, doing the dark thing but finding redemption, and most of all SURVIVING.

As for the sibling rivalry thing, on the surface, it makes no sense, but in literature you can make anything work. It just takes a good writer and setup. Would have been interesting to hear how they thought they could have made that work.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
...and most of all SURVIVING.

Exactly. I'd have given a lot to have that happen.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

It sounds like they took ideas for that and inserted it into Ben's story in Fate of the Jedi.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Sometimes I question the legitimacy of these claims. I mean; why wouldn't they have told us this years before when they released all the info about the creation of the series. Sometimes I think they make up things to get fandom to discuss it.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Sometimes I think they make up things to get fandom to discuss it.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

If they had told us about it earlier, wouldn't that have given away at least part of the upcoming story?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote  

Well it's possible that this is the plot idea that Dark Horse had. Dark Horse is the one that came up with the idea for the NJO, then Del Rey took it, and went in a different direction with it.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ya Dark Horse were looking at the invaders being Energy Beings or liquid. They were really angry and I think the Invasion comics are more a sign of peace between the publishers than anything else. They were BEYOND bitter about their invasion storyline being jacked, they wanted something big.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I would've been irritated if the Yuuzhan Vong were liquid beings. Especially in the late 90s, when Star Trek: Deep Space Nine already did the Invasion by an organization led by a liquid species idea. Successfully, too.

I remember reading that early drafts of NJO involved the YV being exiled Sith, but that GL axed the idea. It's interesting that, over 10 years later, we get the Lost Tribe Smile
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It does indeed feel like they're using old storylines to get them used doesn't it?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I remember the Solos being pretty annoying as kids. At this moment in time, ten years on from NJO I couldn't care less about Anakin dying. I was moved by it at the time, but I can't say that I miss him. I think having him kill Jacen would have been really bad for that series and then what? Jaina would have to kill Anakin.

Interesting, but this isn't The Hunger Games.

I don't get Dark Horse getting peeved at Del Ray for "stealing their idea" it was basically the same thing as Truce At Bakura.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Liquid beings?! Oh gosh...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I'm not too fond of liquid beings either. It reminds me too much of my dislike of homeopathy - specifically a section of a comedy poem that I favour:

'It's a miracle! Take physics and bin it!
Water has memory!
And while its memory of a long-lost drop of onion juice seems Infinite
It somehow forgets all the poo it's had in it!'
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 3