General New Jedi Order Era Disscusion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Star Trek did the Founders pretty well. Liquid beings with such a distaste for Solids that they needed to control them all. Such deep unity in the culture that no Founder had ever killed another, until Odo killed one in the Season 3 finale.

It can work, but it has to be perfect. It is easy to drop the ball.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Most 'high sci-fi' writers play with either liquid or energy beings at some point as it makes sense that evolution would one day take that leap forward to be rid of a physical body. Its curious that all sci-fi seems to think we would evolve to this and I'm kind of glad SW hasn't gone off on this tangent by itself yet but still, I gotta feel like they might one day.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Where the liquid beings in Star Trek immortal, because they didn't have physical bodies?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Most 'high sci-fi' writers play with either liquid or energy beings at some point as it makes sense that evolution would one day take that leap forward to be rid of a physical body. Its curious that all sci-fi seems to think we would evolve to this and I'm kind of glad SW hasn't gone off on this tangent by itself yet but still, I gotta feel like they might one day.

I'm not against seeing it in principal, but it would have to be well done and make sense. Could be something from the unknown regions or wild space that shows up.

its all about who writes it and what they choose to do with it. its an interesting concept, and I've seen it done well (same with beings made of dark matter), but it takes a quality writer to pull it off.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Makes me think of the episode of Futurama where Fry accidentally drinks the emperor of the liquid people.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Where the liquid beings in Star Trek immortal, because they didn't have physical bodies?

No. They were shapeshifters, and could retain solid form, having a default humanoid shape, and also having the ability to mimic people and infilitrate societies. They were immune to blades and other objects, and could take some phaser hits. Through the series, Starfleet developed ways to stop them (mechanisms for detecting them, slowing them, etc.) One was killed by being burnt to a crisp. They were also susceptible to biological warfare.

They were the lead villains of DS9, leading the Dominion, which was at war with the Federation, Klingons, and Romulans in the last two seasons.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

No. They were shapeshifters, and could retain solid form, having a default humanoid shape, and also having the ability to mimic people and infilitrate societies. They were immune to blades and other objects, and could take some phaser hits. Through the series, Starfleet developed ways to stop them (mechanisms for detecting them, slowing them, etc.) One was killed by being burnt to a crisp.

So kinda like the T-1000 from Terminator 2?

(What is it with this day and the terminators btw Razz)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Finished re-reading Traitor for the umpteenth time. It's my favorite Star Wars book. Every time I re-read it, I appreciate Traitor even more. I'm ecstatic that Stover could return!

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DLE its an excellent novel! Possibly one of my favorites of the entire SW series!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Traitor is an odd book for me. I know it's wonderfully written, but I just didn't enjoy it the way most people did. And Stover's my favorite. Shadows of Mindor is my favorite Star Wars book.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 3