Should the Meditation Grove stay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Meditation Grove Stay?
Yes, it should stay as is
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
No, it doesn't fit on a Star Wars forum
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Yes, but only if the Grove rules are overhauled and the Grove given a more specific purpose
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 12

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I still think the Meditation Grove has its place, but I personally think the homosexuality thread has gone on long enough and that it doesn't have much further value.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think the homosexuality thread is too personal for many people. I don't think I've ever had a really constructive debate about it (either online or in real life). I don't like the idea of saying we can't discuss something, but I think this might be an exception. NarniaWeb.com doesn't allow discussion on homosexuality and it's generally a pretty peaceful place.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This is a pretty close knit group with little friction that runs more smoothly then probably any other board I've been a member of. I've never felt the firm hand of a mod putting things in place, just a little nod and only in the MG.

While it is nice to be included and the fact that we are having this discussion attests to what I said before, I think that the mods need to be firm here and make up their mind and then lay down the law. Having things uncertain and up in the air doesn't seem to be working.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I still think the Meditation Grove has its place, but I personally think the homosexuality thread has gone on long enough and that it doesn't have much further value.

Indeed- I always had a general rule- never discuss Abortion, Homosexuality, Politics, and the Bible with friends. It never ends well.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

So at present we are 50% "Yes, but only if the Grove rules are overhauled and the Grove given a more specific purpose"on our poll.

Now we ask: What kind of structure would you like to see? Admins and Mods are looking at better structuring the Grove, but we here at EUC like to know what you EUCers would like as well. It's kind of how we roll. It's not about us. It's about all of US. So use your voices, consider this thread your soapbox and tell us what you see when you think of the Meditation Grove with "rules overhauled" and "given a more specific purpose"

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Just a thought, but I think a consistent trouble-maker or opinion-basher should be banned from the Med Grove though not from the whole site.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That would ban most of the people who participate in the MG. I know that people aren't supposed to be arguing but... wait, actually what is the point of the MG if not people arguing about opposing viewpoints. If we are all supposed to agree or not care about an issue, then I don't see how there can be much of a discussion.

The only thing that I can think of that ruffles the least feathers in the long view is to shut down any MG thread if it reaches the level of one member complaining about another. I don't know if that is the ideal because it opens the possibility of people being so petty that they'd get a thread closed just because someone proves them wrong and the whole "bad apples ruining it for everyone" thing doesn't sit well.

The other extreme is to go hands off, let people say whatever they want to, including being insulting. It would blow off that steam like I said, but it opens the EUC to a hostile place that we don't have, and I think we ideally don't ever want to have.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Trial by peers?

If there's a complaint that things are too personal, or counter-productive, then perhaps opening it up for discussion by the community would allow us to realise our faulty behaviour, know that it's not accepted, and would also defuse the tension for a while by directing attention away from the topic of discussion.

Or, at the least, a temporary period where, as Reep says, consistent trouble makers and opinion bashers cannot post in the MG.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Let's get real here. Are you saying that there are already members who are doing that, in which case...what? Should they be preemptively banned or should they take this as a warning to change their ways? If not, do people think that we are going to have an influx of jerky new members that create a problem we don't already have, like this is just a contingency plan. I guess since we are even having this discussion the problem does already exist.

The cynic in me feels like if that is the policy, if I only have one chance to dish out the dirt, then I better make it count. I figure that some people might see me as being one of those haters, for lack of a better term, while I would say the same thing about other members contributing to the problem. The objective part of me recognizes that isn't really fair.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

Last edited by Dog-Poop_Walker on Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:37 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

The MG is a place of philosophical discussion. But I don't see why it should be exempt from the forum rules. If an individual crosses the line, I want a mod to step in and take some action.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Maybe I just don't see the issue, but...I guess I don't see the issue. Discussions become very heated in the MG, but I have never seen those tensions taken outside of the Grove. Never. Everything stays contained, and even if members do have occasional heated spats, everything is always resolved. Usually everyone agrees to disagree and moves on.

I don't see how we can discuss these topics without getting heated about it. Most of these topics are subjects that have no right or wrong answers. What you think about them is simply your opinion, and human beings tend to defend their opinions passionately. I don't think anyone is ever going to convince anyone else to change their mind, I don't think that was ever the point.

I understood the MG to be a place where we discussed differing opinions. How that could ever be carried out devoid of passion or emotion is beyond me.

Anyway...I don't know. I guess I've never held anything said in the Grove against anyone. It's like what happens in the MG, stays in the MG. *shrugs*

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
That would ban most of the people who participate in the MG.

I disagree. I like talking about serious issues like religion and morality and I think I can do it with a relatively cool head. Many others on here are the same way and I've seen some really good discussions in the Med Grove. I don't think these discussions need to be flame wars. I know that in "real life" once a discussion turns into a shouting match, the discussion is over. At that point both sides are concerned only with blasting their opponents arguments to pieces, because it has become personal. Nothing good or constructive has ever come out of any shouting match or flame war I have ever seen. On the other hand my opinion has been changed or have at least been given food for thought through calm discussions in the past.

It might seem harsh, but I think certain members should be banned from the Med Grove if they consistently start or engage in flame wars because it ruins the atmosphere for everyone. I like the idea of trial by peers that Life suggested.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 3 of 3