Star Wars Questions/Answers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:04 am Reply with quote  

"Many Bothans died to bring us this information."

So, did they ever say how many?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Not that I know of. Surprisingly.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The way she (Mon Mothma) said it I don't think its a small number.

Get clear Hogy, you can't do any more good back there!

Sorry!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:

They never said how many but it had to be alot since Faa'lya (spl?) was able to use their sacrifice to get a cushy position on the NR Council.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

The Bothan's theft is in Shadows of the Empire. I don't think it says an exact number, but IIRC it was something like a platoon or a squad of troopers. 20 or so?
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:

How many roads must a man walk down, before you can call him a man?

Actually the answers to both questions is zero.

Gender identity doesn't have anything to do with traveling distance.

Many Bothans died to steal the information from the Empire. None of them died to bring the information to the Rebels, otherwise they wouldn't have gotten it.

Cool

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:11 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Didn't know where else to put this.

I'm reading Rise of the Sith Omnibus, and Adi Gallia didn't know what cortosis is. Is it just me or is this very silly? To become a member of the Jedi Council, surely this would be one of the things you had to know.

I know why she didn't know it in the comic, it was so that it could be explained to the reader who didn't know what cortosis was, but why didn't they get a Padawan to ask it?

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

DannikJerriko wrote:
Didn't know where else to put this.

I'm reading Rise of the Sith Omnibus, and Adi Gallia didn't know what cortosis is. Is it just me or is this very silly? To become a member of the Jedi Council, surely this would be one of the things you had to know.

I know why she didn't know it in the comic, it was so that it could be explained to the reader who didn't know what cortosis was, but why didn't they get a Padawan to ask it?

That is silly. Being a member of the council she would have known.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

She's was probably taking a mental health day and missed that part in The Jedi Council Master Course Class.

You know, you can only handle so much backward-speak before you need to take a break.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Two questions: One - Why is it that depictions of lightsabres - post ROTJ - are based on the Anakin/Luke lightsabre, when it's often said that they're based on Luke's hilt? Surely they would be based on the ROTJ hilt instead?

Two - I'm curious as to the evolution of lightsabre colours. As far as I know, the foundation of different classes of Jedi having different coloured lightsabres was started in KOTOR, but was it started before that? At least unconsciously, I think it was. Obi Wan was known as a general, a fighter, and had a blue one. Luke started off as a fighter, yet became more ... diplomatic, more spiritual, and had a green one. Young Obi Wan still had a blue one, and was seen as more of a fighter. Qui Gon was more mental, more mythic, and had a green one - as did Yoda. To the best of my knowledge, this wasn't outright stated as fact, but I think the makers looked at that, and saw a pattern that influenced their making the class system.

Also, when you see a new Jedi Order Jedi (specifically ones in books that are post-2003), do you make the assumption (again, unconsciously) that, because someone has a blue or green lightsabre, that they're more inclinded to either fighting or thoughtfulness respectively?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I had no idea that anyone had attempted to codify the colours of lightsabers. So far as I know, the colour depends on the crystal that the Jedi uses when building the lightsaber so is their personal choice - unless they inherited their lightsaber.

Luke's first lightsaber belonged to his father, and was passed on to him to Ben Kenobi. After he loses it at Bespin, he builds another of his own. Corran Horn's lightsaber belonged to his grandfather, and has a silver blade. Mace Windu had a purple blade because Samual Jackson wanted a colour that was different to the other Jedi, and likes purple.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Right, Like CD said those 4 are the only colors we see in the movies and they seem to be be arbitrarily given to mark the character distinctions.

I've mentioned before that a yellow lightsaber makes it's canonical release before the green one in the 1977 star wars toy line. Luke's toy lightsaber is yellow. Why they did this, no one knows. It was either to make it distinctive from vader's red and ben's blue, instead of having it accurately be anakin's blue lightsaber. Or it could be because in several scenes they forgot to add in the visual effects for the lightsabers or oversaturated the color and they appear to be white. Kenner is notorious for making toy designs off of stills that aren't accurate to the finished movies.

I haven't read the novelization of ANH but does it say anything about vaders lightsaber? It always struck me that all the sudden (as of episode one, that is) a red lightsaber = Sith, when it never said that in the OT. I always thought that was a pretty stupid idea.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I like Sith having red lightsabers. It just suits them.

Life Is The Path wrote:
Why is it that depictions of lightsabres - post ROTJ - are based on the Anakin/Luke lightsabre, when it's often said that they're based on Luke's hilt? Surely they would be based on the ROTJ hilt instead?

Because prequel designs sell more. Apparently. Wink

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Re: Lightsaber hilts: remember that Luke built his green lightsaber with very little training, a book, and old parts (to quote Obadiah Stane, he "built it in a cave! With a box of scraps!"). It's possible that he later found better sources of information and better parts. Remember how he found the datatapes on the Chu'unthor? They may have included better instructions on lightsaber construction. It was an academy ship, after all.

Regarding matching lightsaber colours with Jedi Class, I'm sure it's only a game mechanic from KOTOR (and maybe KOTOR II, I haven't played that one). However, the KOTOR comics seemed to follow that same rule. The 4 Taris Masters who were Consulars had green blades, Lucien Draay, the one Guardian, had a blue blade. Celeste Morne was a Shadow (which I associate with Sentinel), and her blade was yellow (so was Zayne's, but he was indecisive; it might mean that he didn't know whether to be a Guardian or a Consular, so he picked the middle-ground). In KOTOR: War, the Mandalorian Knights had orange blades.

TOR seems to remain consistent with this approach, in that Jedi Consulars get green by default, and Knights get blue. Sentinels are an Advanced class of the Knight, which get two blades (which I think are both blue). That said, most lightsabers can have their crystals modified, and there are numerous colour options. My Sith Warrior has a yellow blade right now, and I just sold off an orange crystal.

Sources before KOTOR didn't really codify who got what lightsaber colors. The closest we saw was in 2002, with Episode II, where they codified that Jedi use mostly green and blue (with Mace's purple exception), and Sith use red. It was around this time that the lore of Sith synthetic crystals and Jedi Ilum crystals came to be. Before that, Jedi had dozens of colors (see Jedi Council: Acts of War), and so did Sith (see Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith, Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War, and Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Cheers, Taral, that's very interesting. I recall some New Jedi Order Jedi even having red blades.

However, beyond game mechanics, colour codifying has been noted in The Jedi Path. It doesn't really go into much detail, though, simply saying that 'most Guardians/Consulars/Sentinels' lightsabers have blue/green/yellow blades'. Though only time it delves deeper into that is to say that Guardians have a blue blade as a sign of fraternity and solidarity with other Guardians. I also recall, though can't remember where I read it (though I am almost positive it was in that book), that said codification was normal in the Old Republic, but less so in the PT era and Post-ROTJ era (sounds like a retcon to explain the examples you mentioned).
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 6 of 8