Comics Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Reep: Definitely check out The Long Halloween and Dark Victory! Those are some of the best stories I've read! Taral was right on that!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
@Reep: Definitely check out The Long Halloween and Dark Victory! Those are some of the best stories I've read! Taral was right on that!

I also wholeheartedly second Caedus's recommendation of "Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth". The art is really freaky, and might turn some people off. But it represents the journey into insanity brilliantly.

Another good one is the recent "Joker." It's more like the new movies, in that the characters aren't monsters, just psychos. The Joker closely resembles Heath Ledger's Joker (though only coincidentally). It's a fun one.

Also, I'm told that the first issues of Batman post-New 52 were really good. IGN Assemble gave them great reviews. And the first TPB just came out, I think.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:

I also wholeheartedly second Caedus's recommendation of "Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth". The art is really freaky, and might turn some people off. But it represents the journey into insanity brilliantly.

Another good one is the recent "Joker." It's more like the new movies, in that the characters aren't monsters, just psychos. The Joker closely resembles Heath Ledger's Joker (though only coincidentally). It's a fun one.

Also, I'm told that the first issues of Batman post-New 52 were really good. IGN Assemble gave them great reviews. And the first TPB just came out, I think.

I've been reading them, they are indeed awesome

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I meant to have another couple of long follow-up posts to my Marvel recommends, but have been too burnt out on other stuff to put in the effort of getting those done.

Those are some great Batman recommends T-D, and some of the essential DC reads.

If I could recommend only one DC 52 book it would be Gotham Central, a realistic hard-boiled look at life in the shadow of the caped crusader from the eyes of Gotham city police department. I'm not sure if it's DC 52 canon proper, but it does feature plenty of appearances of Batman and the villains to satisfy Cape fans.

I'm not into superhero escapism, I think the best books are the ones that use the theme to explore social issues and power dynamics and show what a world of super heroes would look like to regular folks.

Ok, I'll give one more just to round it out. There are plenty of actual DC cape books I like, but again I'll give the best non-super hero super hero story:

It's a Bird! by Teddy Kristiansen and Steve T. Seagle is the story of a comic book writer writing a comic book about Superman who struggles to find the meaning of Superman in a life that is very much not like Superman's.

Both guys are Grendel Alumni and also together did the Vertigo reboot of House Of Secrets- Both comics that I'd heartily recommended, so there you go, two for one.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Starting Y: The Last Man. It's the first non-Star Wars comic I've ever read.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Starting Y: The Last Man. It's the first non-Star Wars comic I've ever read.

You'll have to hang on tight, its a rough ride.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Agent 355: "They can say "f***" in a comic book?"

That might be your reaction as well DLE.

I'm also offended that Y has Jesse Custer's lighter. But for a different reason.

I like to imagine Jesse and Rick Grimes having a beer together.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

If anyone has been following Brian K. Vaughan's Saga the fourth issue is out today and its really good. This is all build-up but its a good arc so far, still excited for the series.

3 #1's of Before Watchmen are out so far and they aren't bad. Silk Spectre is the most disappointing of what has been released but Comedian was beyond intriguing and I think Minutemen is going to turn out to be a fantastic addition to the universe. Alan Moore can be as angry as he wants, if its a good story I'll be fine with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm openly stating that Coldplay can ruin anything they get involved in. They had a couple good albums in the beginning, now they need to vanish forever. New album sucked (especially as a concept album) but now there is a 6 part comic mini-series coming out about it.

Storyline is that Mylo is a silencer from Silencia who lives in a world of black and white in a filter the government gives its warriors to filter out color. Their goal: to destroy color. Xyloto is going to be a princess of the color people trying to fight back and Mylo will switch sides with the power of color, love, and music. This is without a doubt one of the stupidest things I've ever heard and its only getting published because its Coldplay. What...what is wrong with people?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't know any songs from Coldplay other than "Viva La Vita" and "Clocks" and I actually love both of them.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I don't know any songs from Coldplay other than "Viva La Vita" and "Clocks" and I actually love both of them.

Stick to the Viva la Vida album on back, the new one sucks so bad. And this comic idea for it sounds more ridiculous. Gerard Way can get away with something like that, Coldplay cannot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm surprised no one's mentioned 'V for Vendetta' yet. It's a literate, layered story, by Alan Moore, about anarchy and freedom vs. totalitarianism, set in a near-future, dystopian UK. The imagery of V draws upon the traditional Guy Fawkes/Gunpowder Plot story, and there are clear parallels. The Guy Fawkes mask that V wears has become a popular symbol worn by real-life demonstrators in recent years, at events like the Occupy demonstrations.
It's a great read, that rewards the reader for paying attention to detail, and seems even more relevent to society now than when first published.

I've long been a fan of Judge Dredd. Forget the Stallone film, if you saw it. Go read the comics. Some stories are single adventures but others collect together into substantial arcs, like the Apocalypse War, the Judge Child Quest and The Cursed Earth. There's a lot of character material and it can often be surprisingly moving, while still being full of action. There's plenty of humour too. The judges often have to tread that line between doing right by an individual, and doing what's best for the greater good, in their vastly overcrowded megacities, where the majority of the population will never have a job. The judges have to be superhuman but underneath the highly trained professional, they are as human as the people they protect and serve, and sometimes the human comes into conflict with the professional. It's a very complete world, with a certain amount of social satire too. There's just so much to enjoy in it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@CD: You know they're making a new Dredd film right? Its written by my favorite script writer (Alex Garland) and starring Karl Urban. I'm fairly excited Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I always say that if Guy Fawkes was alive today he would be blowing up abortion clinics, not banks. Seriously. In the real history the guy tried to blow up Parliament not because they were corrupt, but because he was a Catholic religious fanatic that didn't want Protestants running the government.

In V For Vendetta he's the ultimate symbol for counter-culture because in England Guy Fawkes means Huge ***Hole, not revolutionary humanitarian.

And people don't really get what the point is. They think it's that "one man's hero is another man's terrorist". No, the guy is just a terrorist. He's killing any innocent people who get in the way of his mission to destroy the people he hates. The point is that dehumanizing people is like, bad for society.

It's actually a pretty depressing picture of humanities future. But in the movie version it is changed to the power of the people can effect change, or something. Basically the same story as Watchmen, where victory over the bad guy doesn't really mean much because millions of people just got killed. Only the movie version for that just defeats the bad guy and saves everyone at the last minute.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Fawkes issue I think is more related to picking a symbol and running with it. Yes, Fawkes probably wouldn't approve of what V does in the book or movie. But V's use of Fawkes as a symbol is still okay. He symbolizes opposition to the norm in general (the fact that the opposition Fawkes fought was exactly opposite to the opposition V fought is irrelevant).

And symbols change meaning. Fawkes would've hated the Anonymous group. V for Vendetta changed the definition of the Fawkes symbol. So when Anonymous wears Fawkes masks, they're really wearing V masks.

I loved V for Vendetta (both book and movie, despite the differences). I echo Corellias Dream's recommendation.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 3 of 5