Reboot of the Prequels?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you approve of a prequel reboot?
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

Reboot of the Prequels?
 PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I went to a friends' graduation last week during the reception, I got into a long winded discussion with one of my former English teachers (with whom I'm good friends with) about the Star Wars saga. It kinda turned into a rant-fest about what should have happened with the prequels (namely TPM and AotC).

I think it was SidiousThrawn who mentioned this in the "Which Episode Would You Remake?" thread, but my talk got me wondering, what if there was a reboot of the prequels? I mean, I don't hate them like others do, but I'll admit that the concept of starting fresh without the silliness of Jar-Jar or a Clone Wars multimedia project is very intriguing to say the least. Rebooting worked with the recent Battlestar Galactica, Nolan's Batman movies, the Daniel Craig 007, and even though not a true reboot, the 2009 Star Trek movie was very entertaining.

It would definitely be a very controversial move, but do any of you think it could be done successfully, and if so, would you approve of it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

With all the tech out there I think it can be done successfully. I would reboot Episode 1. Take out the Gungans and their silly language/dialog. Give the Neimodians a better accent. I know GL was going for a japanese/american voice-over dialect but, it still sounded stupid.

Please take out 'Yippee!!!' and 'Whoo hoo!' and 'This is pod-racing!!'

Another line to reboot:
Episode 3, 'That's not fair!' I cring everytime I hear Anakin say it.

(Edit: keep Palps/Sidious like he is. Ian McD was the best actor in the Preqs, in my humble opinion)

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Redo the Palpatine fight! Redo it entirely. Make it epic, and I shall be appeased.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm not talking about a special edition changing individual scenes, I'm talking of a complete remake with a whole new Episode I.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, I know. But I was agreeing with Sidious that RotS was almost perfect. So just fixing that one scene would make me happy.

As for a reboot...certainly not a bad idea. Overall, though, I think the story was excellent. Execution could have been more impressive, is all.

Edit: Lots more impressive. *coughHaydenChristensencough*

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

There are some things about the prequels I'd miss if they rebooted, but...I guess I'd most likely support a redo.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

In order for a reboot to have any meaning in the continuity it has to have a G canon status. That means George would have to do it......

So no, I don't really want a reboot Razz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I'd like a reboot, but there's always no guarantee that what I want done in a remake may not actually happen, and as such I think it's best to just stick with the films that I'm tentatively okay with now, rather than risk having films that 'just get it wrong'. So I have to ask myself what I'd want from a remake? To be honest, I've often thought about it, but never actually formalised it! Having the Obi Wan and Anakin friendship played up, and bolstered, would be up there. Have Padme play a more prominent role - though I suppose, even then, it could be argued that Lucas would merely be remaking the OT in an earlier setting, by having another boy-boy-girl Big Three, and not doing much original.

Though the bulk of the story I'd want kept. Even the politics. Hell, playing up the politics more could have a positive effect.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I can't see Lucas ever sanctioning a reboot. I'd be for it though, even if the EU would suffer a severe blow because of it.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think that people are confusing a reboot and a remake again.

A reboot means to start again. A reboot is a new movie in a series that either starts the series over again or continues after the previous movie but ignores it. The requirement for a reboot is that it is not the same series as the original.

A remake is just the same movie idea done over again.

If the terms are hard to distinguish it's because the idea of a reboot is a relatively new concept and often times it's used to describe what really is a remake, but for some reason people think it sounds better.

So a reboot prequel is an oxymoron. It can't be a reboot if it's a prequel (or sequel).

Redoing the prequels would make them remakes. Having new movies that start off a new star wars series, without the same story as the prequels, that were not in continuity with the OT, would be a reboot.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I would be happy if they took out the ridiculous dialogue. Obi-Wan in RotS screaming "Only Sith deals in absolutes" while not looking at the irony of that whole thing makes me cringe...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote  

I'm going to say no. Continuity is messy enough as is. If someone wanted to spend money on more Star Wars movies, I would want some new ones set during the KOTOR-TOR-Sith Wars periods.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I would not be opposed to a new line, an alternate universe, not unlike the "Ultimate" Marvel line, where the prequels went a different way. Mayhap it could be based on info from the Thrawn Trilogy (Republic fighting mad clones, ending 35 years before Yavin).

But it should not be a reboot. It would need to be an Alternate Universe.

ULTIMATE STAR WARS!

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't really like alternate universes. I like one continuity.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think the fan made edits are the best we are going to get for a watchable and possibly enjoyable prequel trilogy.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 2