Expanding the EU
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'd like Rogue and Wraith Squadron to join forces in a series co-written by Mike Stackpole and Aaron Allston.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Dancelittleewok wrote:
I'd like Rogue and Wraith Squadron to join forces in a series co-written by Mike Stackpole and Aaron Allston.

That would be awesome!!

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Dancelittleewok wrote:

Sounds good, but I'd rather see them create more squadrons. Sadly one of the things Legacy of the Force did was lessen the Rouges in my mind by having people just walk in the take over command at a couple of points.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Werehunter wrote:
Dancelittleewok wrote:

Sounds good, but I'd rather see them create more squadrons. Sadly one of the things Legacy of the Force did was lessen the Rouges in my mind by having people just walk in the take over command at a couple of points.

How about X-Wing: Twin Suns Squadron with Jaina and Jag?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'd like to see more Hapians.

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Werehunter wrote:
Dancelittleewok wrote:

How about X-Wing: Twin Suns Squadron with Jaina and Jag?

I'd think I'd rather see one with the test squadron that Syal Antilles was in during Legacy of the Force. I'd think a book about a test squadron having to save the day in ships that could fall apart at any time would be interesting.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Werehunter wrote:
Dancelittleewok wrote:

Sadly, Rogue Squadron has taken a backseat to Wraiths and everything else since Allston took over the series. I'd love to see Rogue Squadron come back.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Rogue squadron got more pagetime in the NJO than the Wraiths did. The Wraiths only get mentioned at the same occasions/books Rogue Squadron are present, but the Rogues get action without the Wraiths.

The Wraiths are mentioned at the end of the Swarm War but don't appear again - or not until Mercy Kill is released. The Rogues also appear at the end of the Swarm War, and are present on occasion through Legacy of the Force, where the Wraiths don't appear at all, even in Allston's books. The Rogues are still around at the time of the Legacy comics.

Overall, the Rogues have been more prominent in-universe than the Wraiths. The new X-wing novel is about Wraiths, rather than Rogues, but if it is a success, then it will raise the profile of pilots generally. Maybe we'll get more about both Squadrons as there's plenty of gaps in the timelines of both that can be filled in, as well as new stories going forwards.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

What if the EU was more inclusive? What if we had homosexual or transgender characters? Granted, there are the Hutts and that lone homosexual couple in LOTF, but as a whole, the Expanded Universe is pretty traditional. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

It seems that in Star Wars, homosexuality is Best Not Mentioned, but it's perfectly OK to have humans marrying non-humans, just so long as they are opposite sexes. After all, humans marrying twi-leks is just fantasy, so who can really get upset by that ? Whereas, no one wants to be denounced for 'promoting' homosexuality.

I wonder if the authors self-censor, as they believe that the publishers/Lucasfilm would ask them to remove obviously gay characters, or if there is an actual policy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think that it's absurd, but I'd rather live without it than see the angry backlash that would unfortunately and inevitably follow trying to make that happen.

Although I don't agree with it, I see the point of "traditonalists" that argue they aren't opposed to seeing people with "alternative lifestyles" but that it is changing the franchise to add in what was never there to begin with.

Since Star wars was never really intended as a social commentary, as much of sci-fi is, it's really more of a space fantasy. I'll just enjoy it for the stories and suspend my disbelief about a galaxy populated entirely by straight white people.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I think that it's absurd, but I'd rather live without it than see the angry backlash that would unfortunately and inevitably follow trying to make that happen.

Although I don't agree with it, I see the point of "traditonalists" that argue they aren't opposed to seeing people with "alternative lifestyles" but that it is changing the franchise to add in what was never there to begin with.

Since Star wars was never really intended as a social commentary, as much of sci-fi is, it's really more of a space fantasy. I'll just enjoy it for the stories and suspend my disbelief about a galaxy populated entirely by straight white people.

Hey! Lando's still alive! But a the current rate they're killing characters blatantly for shock value you'll be right soon enough...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The only homosexuals in SW that I know, are the Mandalorian couple in LOTF and Juhani (probably Belaya too) from KoTOR1. I don't remember there being much fuss over any of them.

Although SW is a franchise that has many different fans, the base are still straight white males, so they make things that a stereotypical white male would buy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

As some of you may know, I'm a Halo fan, and I'm currently reading the Evolutions books - a collection of short stories set in that universe - and one thing that stuck out was the wealth of female characters in positions of power, and also that there were a fair few gay characters. These two things were quite frequent, and led me to entertain the theory that these writers were either trying to fill a quota, or display a quality in their books that made them original - though with all of them doing it, the opposite happened! Okay, so maybe that's not really what happened.

Anyhoozelbees, my point is: while I'm not active in the Halo fan community, I feel sure that I would have read about a backlash from the fanbase over the appearance of female leaders and gay characters. I haven't really heard anything - and a quick search (nothing too fancy, I admit) didn't produce anything that would suggest such a problem. And, since I feel that the Halo and Star Wars fandoms are quite similar (just look at the number of Halo fans on this board), I don't think there would be that great a backlash if they were to include more gay characters.

And, yes, I'd be okay with it.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
a galaxy populated entirely by straight white people.

Hey! Lando's still alive! But a the current rate they're killing characters blatantly for shock value you'll be right soon enough...

Correction: A galaxy populated entirely by straight white people and one black guy who gambles, dresses like a pimp, betrays the heroes and sells malt liquor.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 7 of 10