Knight Errant Book and Comic by John Jackson Miller
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm a JJM fan, but I must say that I prefere Dawn of the Jedi and The Ghost Prison to this one.

While I generally like sico bad guys, I find the lack of "normal" Sith (or bad guys) in this comic disturbing.

Is it just me, or is Kerra Holt not evolving as a character at all?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote  

Well, there wasn't really any evolution for her in Deluge. I can't recall how much there was between Aflame and the novel.

As for the Sith, I really like the variety in the Knight Errant series. Honestly, I'm tired of the typical Sith. It's nice to have a change.

In comparison to other comics, by biggest gripe is that the artwork in Dawn of the Jedi and The Ghost Prison is a lot better than Knight Errant.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I lean toward liking the abnormal bad guys. I recall, as I read the novel, thinking that the Sith were basically one entity, and that all these Sith were manifestations of different psychological aspects. I think it's pretty cool - however, I now get the feeling that it's set up as more of a pantheon of Sith.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Project Pandemonium and gunships
 PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

So, in the last couple issues of KE, they keep referring to "Project Pandemonium." Does anyone think this has anything to do with the 9th story coming out in the Lost Tribe of the Sith anthology which is called Pandemonium? On the timeline of novels in the front of FOTJ: Apocalypse, LTOTS: Pandemonium is the last story before Knight Errant. Granted the 2 stories are 1943 years apart, they are both written by JJM, so it wouldn't be any surprise if he connected the stories. Maybe Odion found something the Lost Tribe had lost? Just a thought.

All that being said, I'm not sure I like that a republic gunship pops up in there. Between that and all the "star destroyers" popping up in TOR, it seems the Imperial navy of the movies didn't have any original ship designs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote  

Having read Pandemonium, I didn't see any connections to Knight Errant: Escape. I might have to reread Escape to make sure, though. I don't remember them talking about project pandemonium too much.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Yeah, I hit Nathan Butler and IR2 up about that over at their SW Beyond the Films facebook page. Nathan said the same thing. I guess it was just a coincidence. I've also been talking to JJM on Twitter about the gunship popping up in KE, and he said that was the artists' doing and didn't have any knowledge of why it was there. I'll ask him about a possible Pandemonium connection.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote  

I was really disappointed with Knight Errant: Escape #3. Has anyone else read it yet? What did you think of the artwork? I had some serious complaints with the art, but I'm curious whether I'm out of touch here. Maybe I'm being too harsh.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Nah the art is changing in style a bit. I think its a better style, but its jarring like crazy. The story itself isn't too interesting so far, I took it off my list after the last issue. The two covers were awesome but heck, its just not what I'm into anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote  

What really bothered me was there's this big reveal scene in Escape #3 with full page art...and it's so bland. It's such a dud scene. There's not emotional impact to it whatsoever. It really bummed me out.

Here and there the art has some flaws that just jarred me out of the story. Yet some of the art is actually good. It's weird.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Yeah, I just brought up this exact thing over on the DH boards. This issue and Darth Maul: Death Sentence were the same. The first few pages were really nice and then it just goes downhill after that. It's like they just want the preview pages to look good and then just crap out any old art after that. I really can't complain about the story. It's not grabbing me but I keep feeling like the art is taking me out of it. So disappointing, especially when we get such great art from Duursema, Wheatley, Scalf, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote  

@Mad Wook: have you looked at Ghost Prison? I swear that's the best Star Wars comic art I've ever seen. Really amazing stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Yes! I'm absolutely loving that series, art and story. Between that sreies and the Lost Tribe collection, my fervor has been slightly renewed. But the Lost Tribe comic, Death Sentence, and the first couple chapters of Mercy Kill aren't helping that. Lol.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Good finish on the Escape arc!
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote  

I liked what happened with Yulan. I was growing attached to his character as the arc went along. He was one of the few Sith in this arc who had character development.

I also like what happened to Odion. And it had a nice ending, one that can be left hanging for a while without being detrimental.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote  

Reading John Jackson Miller's production notes, I came across this in the notes for Escape #5:

Quote:
I did not ask for a Knight Errant series for 2013 as I had other projects, but there's certainly more that could be told.

So we won't be seeing anymore Knight Errant for a while.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 6 of 7