Del Rey Star Wars Convention Sampler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Del Rey Star Wars Convention Sampler
 PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote  

Del Rey will be giving away a free sampler book at several upcoming conventions (San Diego Comic Con, Celebration VI, and New York Comic Con). The sampler will include excerpts for all Star Wars novels published in 2012 (from Darth Plagueis to Scoundrels). It will also include the short stories published in Star Wars Insider magazine in 2011.

It will be 84 pages long.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150995551223713&set=a.414408798712.177165.67519418712&type=1

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Want

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:17 am Reply with quote  

Ahh, you want it, but will you be getting it? Anyone planning on going to either of the three events?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Not really - they're all on the wrong side of the Atlantic. Makes it tough for fans who don't live in the USA to get them: it's even more expensive for us to get to the big cons where these kind of things are given away.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I am scouting eBay every day now, but nobody offers it for sale yet...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote  

SDCC starts July 12, so you probably won't see any on eBay until then.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

...and then you'll see them for 60 bucks when you could have gotten one for free given out to 30,000 people who paid 20 dollars to get in. And who also registered in advance two years ago.

Yeah, you're better off paying the 60 dollars on ebay. Man, SDCC sucks.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I wish I could go, but being a married father of two younglings in the Netherlands... nah, that's not going to happen... So the only alternative for collectors (completists) like me is eBay...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't understand the need for this. It's 84 pages, and the vast majority of its content will be excerpts of books that we've already read. By the time of CVI, only the Scoundrels and Annihilation excerpts will be "new," and I'll bet they'll have already been released online. Shoot, you're not even getting the coveted 50-page excerpts for each book.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Exactly what I was thinking.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote  

But for people who haven't read Star Wars who are patrolling the aisles of a convention, this could be a good way to draw in new customers. I'd assume that's the main point.

On the other hand, there are the die hard Star Wars collectors. Personally if it's free and I happen to be at one of those conventions, I'd want it for the Insider stories since I don't have them. Even on eBay, Insider isn't exactly cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I don't understand the need for this.

Very Happy
There are toy-collectors who'd give an arm for a blister-package variant in which a small blaster is put upside-down, and you guys don't see the need for owning this little gem? I mean, it has a nice cover, and it features all 2011 Insider stories in one place! What's not to love? Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1