LOTF Covers and Meanings Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
LOTF Covers and Meanings Discussion
 PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

So, all the LOTF covers have been out and seen. What do they mean? Does each give away what will happen and where in the book? Discuss!

Covers:

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Only a few seem to give away the book, and that's through adding the title to the cover. For example, Sacrifice and Revelation.

I really like Bloodlines and Inferno's covers. Great work there.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Betrayal: The beggining. Of course, Jacen, our main character has to be on it. It shows that he's still a Jedi at this point, but he's starting to delve into the darkness.

Bloodlines: The first appearence of Boba Fett in the series. Of course it has to be him on the cover.

Tempest: In my opinion the weakest of the covers. Tenel Ka is a cool character but I don't think Felix did a good job with her.

Exile: I was a little dissapointed that Han and Leia didn't get seperate covers. But this one is awsome: one of my favorites our the nine. I like how they don't shy away from showing some age.

Sacrifice: We knew when we saw this cover that Mara was going to die. It's a cool peice of art. I like the use of reds and oranges.

Inferno: Amazing! I love this cover of Luke even though I can't think of an instance in the book where Luke is swinging on a rope.

Fury: I like the pose, but it's not how I thought of Ben and it still isn't. My least favorite of all the covers.

Revelation: Great, great great! Though I was a little dissapointed to see yet another Jacen on a cover, this is how I've always thought Jacen looked like. The background is cool, too.

Invincible: I wish Jaina had gotten here own cover. But I'll settle for this.

Note: That pose leaves her wide open for Jacen to slice her right in half.
________
Zx14 Vs Hayabusa

Last edited by Jedi_Christopher on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I think they're related, but some of them just show stuff we already know, but that doesn't mean they don't look cool Cool

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Does the Invincible cover make sense now? I'm not sure yet.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

These covers greatly differ from the Star Wars covers we were used to. I can't think of a large number of books whose covers feature an illustration of one or two characters, illustrators always wanted to show a little more. Star Wars books' covers, as I noticed, almost always had a tendency to be composed of a collage of various characters, and abstract backgrounds. This happened more usually with Bantam; I love those covers, but sometimes something different is needed. Wink

When Dark Nest Trilogy came out, I think one learned that not all Star Wars book covers need to be similar, it is the fact that they're different that makes them special.

Legacy of the Force covers are good and have their meaning - and it shows - but in my opinion, they don't seem to have a "root". I mean, when you look at them, they're cute and all, but you don't feel the link between them and your imagination of the story. Very Happy Well, that's just me!

Concerning the link between the cover, the title and the book itself, I see it this way: If a book is good, a good cover and a good title will only make it better, but if the book isn't that good, a good cover and a good title aren't going to be much help.

I think Legacy of the Force has matching covers and stories, although I have some difficulty accepting the titles. A single-worded title is a great idea sometimes, and it makes sense all of them being that way because of the identity of the series, but after some time it becomes a little boring. Confused

In the case of Legacy of the Force, I think the titles are pretty ambiguous, because when you start reading the book you think it has to do with one thing, but when you finish it, you think that perhaps it has to do with other aspect. It may be meant to be a subjective matter. Smile

Anyway, the illustrations are pretty good, but not everyone imagines some characters the way they are depicted. Smile Me included.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Admiral Tina wrote:
In the case of Legacy of the Force, I think the titles are pretty ambiguous, because when you start reading the book you think it has to do with one thing, but when you finish it, you think that perhaps it has to do with other aspect. It may be meant to be a subjective matter. Smile .

And that's a good thing in my book (pun totally intended). Very Happy Definitely a Denning thing.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I get all the titles except Tempest. Unless it means figurativley, I don't get it. Even if it was figurativly, why that one?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Perhaps it signifies
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
That's my take on it, anyway... Neutral[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, but Mara hadn't died yet. Tempest is only number three. I didn't like the Tempest cover, as I didn't think Tenel Ka was key enough to warrant a cover. I didn't like Betrayal or Revelation because Jacen looks terrible in both. He looks like he's only 12 years old in Betrayal. I don't like the Fury cover because that's definitely not how I pictured Ben. He's supposed to have red hair! Despite the fact that it's a comic, I like this picture much better:

And now that I've finished being negative, I love all the rest of the covers, especially Sacrifice. Very Happy Although, being the clueless person that I am, the cover did not give it away to me that Mara was going to die. It didn't cross my mind until it happened. And even then I was in total denial, along with numb shock. But anyway.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote  

In my opinion, I don't think the covers have enough meaning. They seem rather lacking in any deep connection to the books themselves. And they lack a little quality as well.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Although, being the clueless person that I am, the cover did not give it away to me that Mara was going to die. It didn't cross my mind until it happened. And even then I was in total denial, along with numb shock. But anyway.

Same here! That totally went over my head. In fact, I'm so clueless that at first I thought the cover featured Jaina. Embarassed

Anyway . . . my favorite was probably the Revelation cover. It really did Caedus some good, as we haven't had any images of him as a Sith before that (I know I'm weird, but I like to have pictures of everything). It also contrasted with the Jacen on Betrayal, which was another one of my favorites. Fury really didn't make any sense, because Ben doesn't get dark in that one, and his hair doesn't look red. The rest I thought were decent . . . not superb, but they were all pretty decent. Invincible I did think would feature Jaina, and it did cross my mind that she might be fighting Caedus on that cover, but I was picturing Caedus with a cloak and a hood.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
-The Code of the Sith

In mourning . . . Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I love the cover of Revalation! It was better than the book itself, if you ask me.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I like the background, and the yellow eyes, but Caedus looks like he has a gumball in his cheek. Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Whoops, silly me, I read the word 'Tempest' and for some reason was thinking 'Inferno'!
Thanks for the heads up, Mara.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2