Unit Character/role - Who would you be?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit Character/role - Who would you be?
 PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote  

Ok so this evolved from a discussion with a friend of "if your life could be a movie what kind of movie would you want it to be?" I was inspired by the EU stories about military units in the Star Wars Universe (X-Wing, Republic Commando etc.) and thus this thread was born.

In this thread I'm posing the question if you were a member of one of the Star Wars galaxy's military forces what type of character and/or role would you have in the unit?

Keep in mind this isn't an RPG asking you to invent a character but rather asking if you were transplanted to the Star Wars galaxy and your current self chose to enlist in one of the militaries what role in the story would you envision yourself playing (assume that you would have the necessary training, and for those of you with any physical problems like needing glasses that somehow or other those problems wouldn't be present to disqualify you from service).

EDIT: Also we aren't forming E, U, & C companies of the 551st regiment in the GAR or something so characters/roles aren't on a first come first serve basis. If everyone above you said they'd be a medic or platoon commander and you also think that's the role you'd play that's a-ok, go ahead and post it!

So I'll start it off:

I would assume first off that if I had a leadership role it would be as an NCO or low ranking officer. I don't mind leading but I also don't desire the power of being a high ranking general. As for my role I think I'd be the valiant, generally good natured squad member who takes situations seriously when required but also tries to keep the unit's spirits up with jokes, sarcasm or gallows humor.

Last edited by Salaris Vorn on Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Re: Unit Character/role - Who would you be?
 PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I could see myself playing a few different roles. I could be a laid back flyboy with a durasteel resolve, a joker. But I could see my unit being a special unit of oddballs like the Wraiths. And if so I'd be dabbling in both Demolitions and sniping. Focus on sniper, but a love for things to go boom. But I would prefer to strike from a distance, and scout ahead and bring back intell to the XO.

I'd be bi polar in personality, when alone all quiet, suppressed, invisible. When in a group of my unit the class clown who toes the line. Always making light of every situation despite what may be going on around. When alone I can sneak very well, can blend into surroundings and into crowds. Can stalk prey with patience, can be right next to a target and the target would never know.

Could lead if need be, but is more comfortable being a #2 then a lead.

And above all, loves to fly. Be it speeder bike, x-wing, even Ties and B-wings, and A-wings. Sees the xwing as the Camero, and the A-wing as the Viper when it comes to speed, but the X-wing more than makes up with firepower.

*Probably did this wrong* Laughing

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote  

Are Mandalorians valid? What about Ewok chieftain?

Going the more mundane route, I guess I'd see myself as more of a ground pounder. Being a naval officer would be kind of boring unless you were a captain of the ship, however I imagine like in real life, that's mostly a position for people with political pull and thus extremely hard to get.

Being a fighter pilot would be fun and would certainly have its appeal, but I think I'd rather be a commando on the ground. I'm not really sure why, though. Being a fighter pilot would probably be safer considering shields and ejection seats. On the other hand, you can hide in space, where as on the ground you can hide and attack from concealment.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote  

illogicalRogue2 wrote:

*Probably did this wrong* Laughing

I think you did a better detailed job than me, a far better example of what I was thinking of.

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Are Mandalorians valid? What about Ewok chieftain?

I suppose if you have a passionate belief that you were meant to be an Ewok you can make that change. In any event the point isn't sticking to a specific species but rather to think how your real world personality would fit into the Star Wars universe and a story like Republic Commando or Wraith Squadron (just to name two examples).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'd be either a captain in the Imperial Navy of a Star Destroyer or in Imperial Intelligence. I think those two would be fun. You'd get to do a varity of different things and you'd never have a dull day.

You'd also get to tell people what to do Very Happy

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Here on Earth my service record says: "Temporary unfit for duty (2 years) by reason of a diagnosed medical condition."

That was like twelve years ago. I was never officially discharged (at least they didn't notify me of a discharge), nor did I finish Boot Camp, so I guess I'm member of a birocratic mistake infantry.

In GFFA that would probably mean that I'm a lone, board as hell Stormtrooper on Tatooine, wondering if I'm hallucinating, since I could have sworn, I've just seen a protocol droid and an astromech unit taking a walk in the middle of the desert.

Salaris Vorn wrote:

I suppose if you have a passionate belief that you were meant to be an Ewok you can make that change.

If someone has a passionate belief that he/she is meant to be an Ewok, he/she should post it in the You know you're a Star Wars fan when... thread Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote  

Now that you've put it that way, maybe I'm not ready to make the change to Ewok. I imagine the process of making me shorter would be rather painful Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote  

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Now that you've put it that way, maybe I'm not ready to make the change to Ewok. I imagine the process of making me shorter would be rather painful Laughing

I'm sure these guys could help you out, the Monty Python crew seems quite adept at pet conversions so Human to Ewok wouldn't be beyond their abilities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Q2HZRjHHQ
Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Can I be a Vong warrior? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote  

Mad Wook wrote:
Can I be a Vong warrior? Twisted Evil

Assuming you respect the role pain plays in their culture and therefore willingly undergo the required plastic surgery without anesthetics sure why not? Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm poor, married, and have children....

....I know all about pain. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 1