New Comic Series: Star Wars
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
New Comic Series: Star Wars
 PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote  

Dark Horse and io9 have revealed a new Star Wars series coming in January 2013 that will be called: Star Wars. Writer will be Brian Wood, interior art by Carlos D'anda, and cover art by Alex Ross.

You can check out the cover art, interior art, and some teasers from Dark Horse editor Randy Stradley on io9.

It's interesting that they're going back to the OT with this series. There will definitely be some storytelling potential. On the other hand, continuity people are going to explode.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Nah, not exploding yet... This is MARVELous, a new ongoing in one of my favorite, if 'somewhat' crowded timeline-eras. But hey, with the hyperdrives being superfast ever since RotS came out, there's more room to place stories in the era... As I said, this could be great, or this could be another Clone Wars situation... But my trust is a full 100% with Randy and his team at Dark Horse... I know that, storywise, we will not be disappointed!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I trust Dark Hose a lot more than the creators of TCW mostly because Lucas is beyond less involved in the comics. He likes his movies and television shows, print media can go screw itself as far as he's concerned. I'm a continuity stickler but I think this will mesh just fine and I'm excited.

Re: New Comic Series: Star Wars
 PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

This is great news! And also facepalm worthy. I mean didn't we just get away from ongoing series as the marketing push? We're doing the arc style releasing and now we go back again. Getting dizzy. Next I wonder if it'll grow into a titled line like the last Star Wars title did becoming Republic.

And I've not even begun to rant about shoehorning MORE fripping stories into THE MOST OVERSTUFFED ERA IN ALL OF SW.... From a timeliner's POV they have to be writing themselves into a corner.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

Last edited by illogicalRogue2 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Caedus_16 wrote:
I trust Dark Hose a lot more than the creators of TCW mostly because Lucas is beyond less involved in the comics. He likes his movies and television shows, print media can go screw itself as far as he's concerned. I'm a continuity stickler but I think this will mesh just fine and I'm excited.

IDK Caedus- if the last Insider is anything to go on Dave Filoni says George reads the comics. Granted it was implied he only reads TCW comics. lol

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:

IDK Caedus- if the last Insider is anything to go on Dave Filoni says George reads the comics. Granted it was implied he only reads TCW comics. lol

Eh, but this is in an era where he can't cherry pick for stories to overwrite for his tv shows Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Terrible place to start a new series. And now the 3rd series to be called just "Star Wars." You can always count on Mark and Eddie to be positive, but I'm not so sure this time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mad Wook wrote:
Terrible place to start a new series. And now the 3rd series to be called just "Star Wars." You can always count on Mark and Eddie to be positive, but I'm not so sure this time.

^I'm with him on this one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Randy Stradley wrote:

But let me drop just a few hints: Vader gets a special assignment, the Rebels suspect a traitor in their ranks, and one more thing...stealth squadron.

Stealth Squadron....a proto-Wraith Squadron?

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Mad Wook wrote:

To be fair, a third series called "Star Wars" is nothing unique. Multiple volumes of a given title are common in Marvel and DC. It's all about getting people into a series because they're more likely to buy issue 1 than issue 398. DC's The New 52 is all about starting new volumes at issue 1, with some titles being on Volume 2, and others being further along (I think Green Lantern is at Volume 5?) Marvel had a craze where they restarted a lot of their series as Volume 2 #1 and then Volume 3 #1, but then returned to the original Volume 1 numbering (so Avengers Vol 3 #84 was followed with Avengers Vol 1 500).

So I wouldn't balk at it being called Star Wars Vol 3. That's common. Just means they want people to read it.

I assume it'll be an Ongoing?
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

illogicalRogue2 wrote:

And I've not even begun to rant about shoehorning MORE fripping stories into THE MOST OVERSTUFFED ERA IN ALL OF SW.... From a timeliner's POV they have to be writing themselves into a corner.

This really annoys me.

As a timeliner and continuity nut(case), I have enough problems fitting stuff in already so that its not self-contradictory.

Especially since they say this is about the early adventures. And the interview implies it will occur shortly after ANH. Just like about 8 other comic series....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Henning- perhaps you or some other timeliner could fill me in. What ARE we dealing with in terms of stories set in this timeframe?

I think it always helps Star Wars Fans to understand what, if anything, is at risk. I mean they didn't say that they were going to knock anything out- but at the same time they said they were going to keep it fresh- and the only way I see that is by telling new stories- and eventually we'll be telling 2 stories at the same time. So potentially what's at risk?

-
-

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Well we're dealing with this:
Rebel Force: Target (YR)
Rebel Force: Hostage (YR)
Empire #16-18: To the Last Man
Rebel Force: Renegade (YR)
Vader's Quest (TPB)
Rebel Force: Firefight (YR)
Rebel Force: Trapped (YR)
Empire #19: Target: Vader
Shadow Stalker (one-shot)
Rebel Force: Uprising (YR)
Allegiance (HC)
Empire (#20-28 )
Choices of One (HC)
Empire (#29-40)
Rebellion #0/Knights of the Old Republic #0 (flip-book)
Rebellion #1-5: My Brother, My Enemy
Boba Fett: Overkill (one-shot)
Rebellion (#6-16)
River of Chaos (#1-4)
Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine (PB)

That's just in the first year after ANH. That plus Marvel's first 34 issues or so, SW Missions, Galaxy of Fear, Classic SW newsstrips, etc.... It just goes on and on. That is the last place on the timeline that we need another story. They're just going for new fans. They don't even try to hide that fact. Randy Stradley said straight out it was because the EU is too daunting for people to dive into. Just like you say, I don't know when these poor people even had time to use the 'fresher.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote  

Full cover art.

Edit: Brian Wood also has a cover for "In the Shadow of Yavin IV"

Link: http://www.brianwood.com/

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Last edited by Darth Skuldren on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

My take on it:
-Episode IV (novel, comic, junior, film, radio, etc.)
-Rebel Force (6 young reader books)
-Marvel Star Wars (38 issues, which includes the ANH adaptatoin, plus one Giant-Size Annual)
-Newstrip (collected in 20 issues of Classic Star Wars and 9 of Classic Star Wars: The Early Years, plus 3 extra stories
-Most of the Devilworlds stories
-Star Wars: Empire (25 or so of the 40 issues)
-Vader's Quest (4 issues)
-Shadow Stalker (1 issue)
-Allegiance (novel)
-Choices of One (novel)
-Star Wars: Missions (20 young reader books, at least 16 of which are in this first year, 4 may be later)
-Star Wars: Rebellion (16 issues plus the half-issue 0)
-Galaxy of Fear (12 young reader books)
-River of Chaos (4 issues)
-Numerous stories from Tales comics
-Numerous short stories from Adventure Journal
-Some of the short stories from Tales From The Mos Eisley Cantina
-Galactic Battlegrounds (Rebel campaign)
-Battlefront (some levels)
-Battlefront II (Battle of Yavin levels)
-Battlefront: Renegade Squadron (some levels)
-Battlefront: Elite Squadron (some levels)
-Empire at War: Forces of Corruption (first few levels)

I didn't include The Ruins of Dantooine (that's in 2 ABY).

One thing I wouldn't object to though is stretching this timeline out a bit. Dates are less important than order. You could free up a lot of space by saying that these take place over the course of 0-2 ABY instead of 0-1 ABY. 1 and 2 ABY are pretty empty.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 6