Make-a-Game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
Make-a-Game
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:15 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

If you could design a game what would it be like? Let's assume there are no hardware restrictions. You can detail the controls, gameplay, music, Easter Eggs, story etc. Maybe you could even make your own custom controller to go with the game!

I've had this idea for a game for a while, I don't know what it would be called though. Basically, it would be a mixture of Portal, Quantum Conundrum and a Link to the Past. You player has to solve puzzles, perhaps not in chambers like in Portal, but that could work. You have to switch between different "planes" (not aeroplanes) to get to the end of the level. On the different Planes, there are ifferent enemies, perhaps a door is broken in one plane, but fixed in the other etc. As you progress through the game you can unlock new planes, so you can go back to previous levels to unlock Easter Eggs and stuff. Despite my Nintendo fandom, it would be initially designed for the Xbox or PS3.

Got to go now, but I might list more details later.

EDIT: Bear in mind these don't have to be Star Wars games, mine wasn't. So Mods, you could probably move this into the MEC.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

Last edited by DannikJerriko on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

My favourite Star Wars game remains Star Wars: TIE Fighter, even to this day (the game is 16-17 years old). It was immersive, deep, and the mechanics were well balanced. Starfighters that were legitimately stronger in-universe required more hits to destroy (unlike arcade-style games like Rebel Assault or Rogue Squadron, where you could take dozens of hits, but each enemy required just one.)

But X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and X-Wing Alliance were limited by their time period. The prequels werent' out yet, and the EU only went about 20 years into the future. Also, all we knew of the ancient past was from the Tales of the Jedi comics; KOTOR was still years away.

My game would be a return to the gameplay of the X-Wing and TIE Fighter series.

Story:
The game would have multiple campaigns, which would each have about a dozen to fifteen missions. The game would come with 3-4 campaigns, and you could buy others later as expansions (like Starcraft II).

In one campaign, you might be a pilot for the Empire during its rise. You would fly late-model Clone Wars vehicles, like the ARC-170 and V-Wing, and later on fly new TIE Fighters and TIE Bombers (this would add an element of difficulty, as your starting ship is durable, but your later ships are not.) Your battles might involve customs or blockade enforcement, hunting pirates, stopping nascent rebel movements, etc.

In another campaign, you might fight for Revan, first as a Republic pilot fighting the Mandalorians (the middle mission might be Malachor V), but then start flying Sith fighters after Revan becomes Darth Revan.

Another campaign might be set during the Yuuzhan Vong War. You could be a pilot for the New Republic, defending against Yuuzhan Vong attacks. Maybe one mission might involve flying a stolen Coralskipper behind enemy lines.

My point is, there are numerous conflicts across the Star Wars universe, and numerous sides for each. There are dozens of possible campaigns one could have.

Mechanics:
TIE Fighter had a pretty standard set of rules, and this game would match those. Your ship had forward and rear sensors, a targeting computer, controls for speed and power distribution (recharging your weapons, shields, or tractor beam meant cutting into engine power). Individual systems could be temporarily or permanently destroyed as you took damage. Ships also had short-range sensors; getting within 5-10 meters of a ship meant you "inspected" it, and the cargo appears in the targeting display (useful for missions where you're looking for Rebels or Pirates or Smugglers).

Weapons came in a few types: laser cannons, ion cannons, and warheads. All lasers and ion cannons were the same strength (though if you were running low on charge, a weakened bolt was fired). Laser cannons and ion cannons first took down shields, and then would affect either the hull (lasers) or systems (ion). If a ship's Systems got down to 0%, it would be disabled, and could be boarded by a transport ship. A disabled ship could only be revived if a transport or tug docked with it. Ships with warhead capability could only carry a set number, though some missions included a tug or Combat Utility Vehicle to refill your warhead load. Warhead speed and yield was constant to the model. Concussion missiles were fast, but weak, and useful for shielded starfighters and intercepting bombs. Proton torpedoes were slightly slower, but slightly stronger, useful for small capital ships and transports. Heavy bombs and heavy rockets were slow, but very powerful, perfect for capital ships and stations.

Capital ships and stations also had laser cannons, ion cannons, or warheads, operated by turrets across the hull. Those turrets could be destroyed. The strength of the laser or ion blast was identical to those of any fighter.

Starship speed while at sublight is important. The larger the ship, the slower it was.

Fighters without hyperdrives needed to be launched from and retrieved by a capital ship. Fighters with hyperdrives could arrive in a battle without support. Entering hyperspace ends the mission. The presence of an Interdictor meant no one could enter hyperspace (note that some missions required something like "Imperial Star Destroyer Glory must enter hyperspace", so destroying the Interdictor becomes key).

Each mission has primary, secondary, and bonus objectives. The primary objectives were given by an officer. The secondary objectives given by some strange figure, and might reflect the larger goals of any Order your character might be in (note that Maarek Stele, the character in TIE Fighter, was an Emperor's Hand). Bonus objectives are just fun, and you try and figure them out through the mission (example: if the objective is "50% of Freighters must survive", the bonus might be "100% must survive". Or, if you need to destroy containers or ships, the bonus might be to inspect them first.)

System:
These games first appeared on the PC, if only because those had the best operating power at the time (and best controllers for the purpose of a flight simulator). But since all systems have analog sticks now, I can imagine using an XBox 360 or a PS3 to play this game. If it is on PC, it should be sold through Steam, thus facilitating the sale of Downloadable campaigns later on.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:55 am Reply with quote  

I would apply the Elder Scrolls formula to Star Wars. Pick your race, wander the galaxy, and have adventures. The key difference between this and something like TOR would be eliminating the massive online element.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I would apply the Elder Scrolls formula to Star Wars. Pick your race, wander the galaxy, and have adventures. The key difference between this and something like TOR would be eliminating the massive online element.

So this would be something like KOTOR, but on a much larger scale, with much larger freedom to move around? Kinda like Mass Effect?
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I like the sound of darth skuldrens game and hav it for the xbox so i could play it as i dont play games on the pc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote  

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:

So this would be something like KOTOR, but on a much larger scale, with much larger freedom to move around? Kinda like Mass Effect?

I agree with Skuldren's idea!

@Taral: it would be like KOTOR except the game has no ending per se (the main quest in an Elder Scrolls game has an ending but the game itself doesn't end and you can then experience the world as it is in the post main quest environment). In essence you are free to play the character as long as you choose. You are even free to not do the main quest and areas are open to explore from the get go, no "unlocking" planets/areas as the story progresses.

Also I would make a hybrid combining the best of X-Wing, Battlefront, and Rogue Squadron. Take the massive space battles of X-Wing and combine it with Battlefront's concept of boarding ships. Take the very well done planet based fighter combat in large environments of Rogue Squadron and combine it with Battlefront's infantry/armor mechanics (roughly reflecting the massive maps of Battlefield 2/2142).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

You guys should send these ideas to Lucas Arts,it's good stuff.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I want a Super Bros.-style Star Wars game.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbGIgxqTJ3w

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

A very young Yoda in the that would be in the RP of KotOR and give his back story and why he would know about the drak side... Was he going to be a sith at one time? Hmmmm.

Game
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Personally, I'd go with a Knights of the New Republic game, where you take control of a Jedi during the Vong war. It could be an unknown Jedi( though I think playing as Jacen would make it interesting.) and you would fight the Vong, while also choosing whether to follow Lukes tactics, or slowly influencing the Order toward an all out dark side attack.[/list]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote  

How about Sim Ewoks were you manage an Ewok village.

"Start off from lowly beginnings with your small tribe of Ewoks and lead them to greatness! Build your Ewok tribe into a multi-village empire stretching across the Forest Moon of Endor. Lead them through the troubled times of the Empire's occupation. Deal with random giant attacks. Yub yub!"

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote  

Dancelittleewok wrote:
I want a Super Bros.-style Star Wars game.

What about a Super Smash Bros. style game?

Some characters & special abilities:
Stormtrooper:
Stormtrooper effect: causes a 6 second burst of random blaster fire with a high chance of missing; to compensate for the poor accuracy it causes a 1 hit KO if it hits someone

Darth Vader:
Failed me for the last time: in team death matches allows you to use the Force to pick up and throw a teammate with a lower score/fewer lives than yourself at the enemy, automatically transfering that allies damage percentage to the enemy with the possibility of KO if the transfered percentage is high enough, allies damage percentage is increased by 150%

Sith Absolutes: allows you to declare a specific player as "against you" and all damage you do to that player is multiplied by 2 for 15 seconds, 1 use per life

Luke:
One Season More: adds 1 life if down to final life or heals 50% of damage if more than 1 life is left

It isn't fair!: against an enemy has at least 50% less damage than you this shield ability will return 30% of incoming damage to the attacker in an attempt to make things "fair" (if all allies have been KO'd shield returns 40% of all incoming damage); shield can be maintained for 7 seconds with a 15 second cooldown

Han:
Never tell me the odds: power attack that does 150% damage of normal power attacks if outnumbered and has double the chance to cause a KO

Earn Blood Stripe: vibroknife power attack/finishing move that, if successful, causes Han to wipe blade on pants leg to add a blood stripe

All Alliance Character:
Have A Bad Feeling About This: 1 use per life that grants a Rebel player a 3 second slow-mo to avoid a powerful power-up activation at a cost of Imperials having a 75% greater chance to block or dodge the next power attack

All Imperial Characters:
Might of the Empire: power attack that does 200% normal damage with a high probability of KO at cost of backstabs and basic attacks by Alliance characters doing 200% normal damage for 5 seconds; 1 use per life

Page 1 of 1