Star Wars: Crucible by Troy Denning
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Wars: Crucible by Troy Denning
 PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hmm. Slightly mixed feeling about this. Title is intriguing, but the fact that the younger generation may not be involved is a bit disappointing.

Re: Star Wars: Crucible by Troy Denning
 PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
Hmm. Slightly mixed feeling about this. Title is intriguing, but the fact that the younger generation may not be involved is a bit disappointing.

Because of that, I wonder if one of the Big 3 will die in this. No one has killed off the Solo-Skywalker clan as much as Troy Denning.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I had the same thought. This might be a farewell to one of the movie characters. Though I have a feeling that it might be a twist and end up being Lando.

As for just having the older characters, I won't mind if they do it right. If it's something from their past that they feel they need to see through to the end, it will work for me. But if it's something they just decided only they can handle, not so much.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ya the title kind of makes it sound like this is a 'trial-by-fire' period for the new generation that ends with at least 1 or 2 of the Big Three dying off. Nervous on this one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

It does seem like it would be at least one of their last adventure. Which, if it is the direction theyre going with, it's risky. For it to be that it would have to be awesome, or they would have some SERIOUSLY angry fans

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm pretty sure they'd have angry fans regardless of how good a story they tell.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Haha true, but I mean angry mob outside their office angry. You kno, just a little more than usual.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I can't say I'm surprised that people keep predicting that each book will be "the end of the big three". I remember speculation for that during the NJO, in Dark Nest, for LOTF and for FOTJ.

I doubt that its happening any time soon. Sue has made it clear for years that when that does happen, Lucas has to approve it. And I can't see him suddenly doing that right now. Also, when he does I think it will be dropped in a much bigger bombshell than a simple book anouncement at SDCC.

That said, I'm pretty sure I know where this is headed ...

NOTE: POSSIBLE APOCALYPSE SPOILERS FOLLOW (if you haven't gotten that far yet)

... Mortis.

Think about it.

1) Denning is the one who had to figure out how to use that to explain Abeloth and tie FOTJ into the Clone Wars madness. He's the one writing this book.

2) Original Mortis family - the father (wise protector), the daughter (light) and the son (darkish)

The big 3 - Luke (wise jedi master), leia (jedi knight), and han (reformed smugler/fringer)

3) The stuff with Abeloth wasn't completely resolved with parts of her essence showing up all over the place, and I suspect LFL wants to put that to rest.

4) At the end of Apocalypse, Luke sends off a bunch of knights to find the object. That's going to have to be wrapped up at some point.

5) The fan base is divided about Mortis and Abeloth, and it would be a good decision to close both of those out so they're done with and forgotten

6) Without a major galaxy-spanning threat currently in place to be used (One sith must stay hidden, LTOTS would be fractured and trying to rebuild), they need a filler book (or books) until the next series is written. Also gives them more time to plan overarching plots for the next sets of books without the fans getting restless.

To me, that all adds up quite conclusively to this book being about the Mortis object, and something to do with wrapping up that storyline, and (possibly) Abeloth's.

It also makes sense that it would be just the big 3 involved because: Jaina's still in the honeymoon phase of her marriage; Ben is probably licking his wounds from Vestara, the battles of FOTJ and also still being a teen; Tenel Ka and Amelia are going to be sequestered in Hapes for a while; Wynn will be busy getting the GA under control; and the other jedi masters...well, they've never really had big parts lately.

Also, keep in mind, for this to be released in spring, that Denning was probably already working on it long before it was announced, possibly before Apocalypse was released, so it has to be something that was forseeable when they were at that point. And logically that would tie it into the Mortis stuff he had to cram in.

So this makes sense to me both in and out of universe. Far more so than killing off the big 3 all of a sudden in a simple standalone.

That's where I'm placing my bets.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Groin. Not another Troy Denning book. He's been ruining Star wars for ten years. Let someone else have a chance to get rid of everything that fans like, it's only fair.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

That actually does sound like a pretty reasonable plot line, and I would enjoy having that story line wrapped up, and having just the big three would be the only way to make mortis bearable.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I can't say I'm too excited about this. I think I can count myself among one of those angry fans. Okay, I'm not really angry, more just 'meh', but still. There were a few things that set off meh alarm bells. From the blurb:

Quote:
Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia have spent a lifetime fighting wars, bringing the Jedi back from extinction, raising families, and saving the galaxy more times than they can count. They’ve earned the right to rest on their laurels

So let them.

Quote:
and let the younger generation shoulder the burden–but fate has another adventure in store for our heroes, a quest only they can tackle and hope to survive…

Only they? In a galaxy of trillions, only they can handle it? And why just them? There's the entire Jedi Order. They could send a team of Jedi. It doesn't even have to be 'the younger generation'. Send Kyle, or Saba, or Corran, or Whatshisface. Besides, wasn't Luke supposed to be suffering a pretty heavy wound? Shouldn't he be taking it easy?

Quote:
The Jedi find they have bigger things to worry about than the possible fate of Abeloth and the Sith.

Please stop going 'bigger!' You don't need 'bigger!', you just need 'better!' Not everything has to be bigger than the last threat.

I feel I'm being too harsh on it, and unfair, because the information we have on it is still pretty lean. It might be good. I just got the bad Bantam vibe from the press release.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand this is actually something I've wanted to see for quite some time: the Big 3 together again like old times. They've always been separated in the last few series.

EDIT: I forgot to finish my thought haha...

On the other hand if this does involve
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

I'm not sure how I feel. I really don't like Mortis and I'm not looking forward to seeing it again, but hey, this could be a blessing in disguise. Maybe Crucible will - at least start to - clean up the mess a little and make things a little more compatible. That said, I hope it can still stand on its own as a story, and not just be a continuity band aid like Darth Plagueis was (imo).

It does sound like this will be a farewell to the Big 3, but I don't think they'll die in this book (though I wondered if they picked Denning partially to arouse fan speculation), but I think this will be the last big adventure we'll see them in. Sounds like Del Rey has been listening to its fanbase. Smile

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Last edited by Reepicheep on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Has Troy Denning written a standalone for Star Wars yet? I don't believe so. I'm frightened. Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:28 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Tatooine Ghost IIRC
F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I lied, you're right. Tatooine Ghost was pretty good. Nothing to knock your socks off, though. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised. But I won't hold my breath.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 12