Ages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Jobs View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think there should be age restrictions
Yes
70%
 70%  [ 7 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

Ages
 PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: Planet Spacoid, (if you look it up on facebook, you will find it)

I was wondering if there are any open job positions that don't require being fifteen or older. I'm only fourteen. I personally think that there shouldn't be age restrictions on these jobs because I think that it would be better to have a younger kids' view of things.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I know around here you can have a part-time job at the age of 14. But that is the minimum age. And I'm just going off of assumption here, but I thought the age laws were put into effect to stop the child labor widely used in America not even that long ago.

Edit: Unless you are speaking about the Cantina itself, which I now think you were. In that case...the Cantina has to be careful not to break any actual laws when going about its business. So yes...I do think there should be age restrictions.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Re: Ages
 PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:44 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Bane wrote:
I was wondering if there are any open job positions that don't require being fifteen or older. I'm only fourteen. I personally think that there shouldn't be age restrictions on these jobs because I think that it would be better to have a younger kids' view of things.

I too have to lean in the yes camp- while that's not to say one couldn't help out and point to a story or source until they are old enough. It's just that the ages go so far the OTHER way. Granted not everyone is the same- but at 14 I couldn't commit to something as big as EUC, and if I could couldn't always relate to those elder to me and I'd come across in a light not intended by me. But that's not a judgment on any one person but just the way I see it. It's harder to take some one serious on a serious matter when that person doesn't necessarily have all the same skills due to where they are in life. Heck as 30 I'm still discovering how much my perceptions of the age are wrong. And as I look back at the 20 somethings I can see a lot of the journey they are on for I was there, but it's the relating to the elders that I still can't do as much.

Running and working on EUCantina is a lot of work, even when you're not invested 100%. Try not to be discouraged though by the restriction- see it more as something to overcome. I mean your work will speak for itself. If you want to review TCW for example- do it- submit your stuff either via email- or to a comment of one of our current reviews- or if you want to report- give staffers links to stories that are new- you will gain a reputation and as soon as you are of age we will seek you out- if we haven't at that point decided "hey this guy is a real go getter we NEED him on the team" kind of thing. But also for the record most of our staff is closer to your age then mine too- so that's always going to aid those closer to the restriction.

But I do think it's important that we have those hoops in place to jump through. Even with my joining the crew- I had to prove myself before I got each position. Actions speak louder than words- and so far I see someone who is savvy; you created a thread about the issue that is in the way of your goal- you noted the issue in the positions threads you applied for as well. So I think you're on the right path.

Anyway- hope this wasn't coming across as a negative thing- more a where me personally sat- I ponder things so I ramble a lot. Laughing

Welcome to the Forums too BTW!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Ages
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Darth Bane wrote:

I too have to lean in the yes camp- while that's not to say one couldn't help out and point to a story or source until they are old enough. It's just that the ages go so far the OTHER way. Granted not everyone is the same- but at 14 I couldn't commit to something as big as EUC, and if I could couldn't always relate to those elder to me and I'd come across in a light not intended by me. But that's not a judgment on any one person but just the way I see it. It's harder to take some one serious on a serious matter when that person doesn't necessarily have all the same skills due to where they are in life. Heck as 30 I'm still discovering how much my perceptions of the age are wrong. And as I look back at the 20 somethings I can see a lot of the journey they are on for I was there, but it's the relating to the elders that I still can't do as much.

Running and working on EUCantina is a lot of work, even when you're not invested 100%. Try not to be discouraged though by the restriction- see it more as something to overcome. I mean your work will speak for itself. If you want to review TCW for example- do it- submit your stuff either via email- or to a comment of one of our current reviews- or if you want to report- give staffers links to stories that are new- you will gain a reputation and as soon as you are of age we will seek you out- if we haven't at that point decided "hey this guy is a real go getter we NEED him on the team" kind of thing. But also for the record most of our staff is closer to your age then mine too- so that's always going to aid those closer to the restriction.

But I do think it's important that we have those hoops in place to jump through. Even with my joining the crew- I had to prove myself before I got each position. Actions speak louder than words- and so far I see someone who is savvy; you created a thread about the issue that is in the way of your goal- you noted the issue in the positions threads you applied for as well. So I think you're on the right path.

Anyway- hope this wasn't coming across as a negative thing- more a where me personally sat- I ponder things so I ramble a lot. Laughing

Welcome to the Forums too BTW!

Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure that I get to doing that sort of thing. It'll be a good learning experience for me

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I would certainly listen to what IR2 suggested. That's very good advice. And there's always potential for a hiring that is below the listed age requirement if we have strong evidence that you can do the job successfully. Provide that evidence through the methods that IR2 mentioned and anything else you can think of, and you'll catch our attention.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Old Master Ben wrote:
I would certainly listen to what IR2 suggested. That's very good advice. And there's always potential for a hiring that is below the listed age requirement if we have strong evidence that you can do the job successfully. Provide that evidence through the methods that IR2 mentioned and anything else you can think of, and you'll catch our attention.

Thank you Master Ben and IR2. I will most likely follow that advice as soon as season five comes out.

Page 1 of 1