What did you think of Anakin Skywalker's character?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
What did you think of Anakin Skywalker's character?
 PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

There's been some talk amongst my friends and I, and we disagree. Some of us see him as whiny little kid who never grew up, and others see him as a beautiful tragedy. What do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

In my opinion, Anakin just didn't seem like the Darth Vader we were used to. I could have never, not even in my strongest hallucinations, have associated Darth Vader with Anakin Skywalker if I hadn't seen the movies. Okay, he turned to the Dark Side and all, but... the transition from one character to another still bothers me.

For me, Anakin may be extremely talented, but he is rather unwise and not that kind of good friend that Obi-Wan described. I actually imagined him as a better person before he turned to the Dark Side, since Obi-Wan considered that such a great loss.

When he saves Luke even after all the bad things he has done, you can't help thinking: He must really be a great person, being able to come back like that and ignore his pride and his own life. I don't see Anakin doing what Vader did for Luke.

Razz Yeah, yeah, I'm a Vader lover! Smile

Last edited by Admiral Tina on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote  

When Lucas decided to make Anakin Skywalker a whiny little kid, he destroyed every strand of hope the prequels held. Absolutely terrible decision. There is no way the Anakin portrayed in the movies would've turned into Darth Vader in the OT.

However, the gist of the story had all the makings of a tragedy. It's just that Anakin's portrayal robbed it of its potential.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

They say The Clone Wars is going to show more of Anakin as he really is, so let's see.
Speaking of The Clone Wars, I don't think he's ready to have a padawan, but well, neither was Obi-Wan, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I think the seeds for Anakin's fall were introduced in The Phantom Menace. When he stated that he was "the only human" to ever have raced in the podraces. His pride was already in evidence. But the bigger picture is always so clear at the end of things... Confused

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Some parts were really great, and others not so much. I think the concept behind anakin is great, just not pulled off on screen as good as i would have wanted it.

Revenge of the Sith was good though. I love the part when they put him on the council without making him a Master. When he looks around in disbelief and shock, its a great scene.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:34 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Could've been better.

Hayden wasn't good, Lucas just should've gave someone the directing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: Planet Spacoid, (if you look it up on facebook, you will find it)

I think anakin was a great character. He was, in my opinion, ruined in episode three when he killed windu and said "What have I done?"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

He would have been a beautiful tragedy if he had been given some heroism . Ben described him as a good friend and a cunning warrior in ANH. Neither quality was really shown until RotS, however.

In TPM, Anakin and Obi-Wan had virtually no chemistry besides the handshake on the Queen's starship. They never exchanged dialogue until the ending during Qui-Gon's funeral. There was no real indication of a friendship in that film. It felt very forced and the passion didn't show at all. In AotC, Anakin was defiant and Obi-Wan was always lecturing him. The relationship felt more like something a parent would have with their rebellious child rather than a true friendship. We didn't see true cooperation until RotS, where they truly acted as partners (for the first half at least... Laughing),

When it comes to heroics, Anakin accidentally up the Trade Federation control ship practically on accident. Yes, once he made it to the hangar, he willingly took action to disable the vessel, but he didn't intentionally take off or head to battle. He saved Padme from Zam Wessell's assassination attempt in AotC, but was merely a bodyguard afterwards, and went on to defy his orders. He never really showed any leadership in Episode II whatsoever. In RotS, however, allowed Anakin to rescue the Chancellor AND defeat Count Dooku all in the opening act. This is the first time he's shown as a semi-competent leader without the aid of his master.

Overall, I think he was handled poorly in the first two prequels. Things started to pick up in RotS, but by then it was too late.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:10 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Jedi Joe wrote:
He would have been a beautiful tragedy if he had been given some heroism . Ben described him as a good friend and a cunning warrior in ANH. Neither quality was really shown until RotS, however.

Overall, I think he was handled poorly in the first two prequels. Things started to pick up in RotS, but by then it was too late.

Are you discluding The Clone Wars movie and show? Because he does get plenty of heroics and friendship with Obi in those. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

purpleparadox wrote:
Jedi Joe wrote:

Are you discluding The Clone Wars movie and show? Because he does get plenty of heroics and friendship with Obi in those. Smile

Yes. The movies should have a continuity that doesn't require outside sources.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Jedi Joe wrote:
purpleparadox wrote:
Jedi Joe wrote:

Yes. The movies should have a continuity that doesn't require outside sources.

But remember - there are 10 years in between TPM and AotC and 3 years in between AotC and RotS. Just because there wasn't as much heroism and friendship during the couple of months that we saw him, doesn't mean that there wasn't any during the 13 years we didn't see.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
But remember - there are 10 years in between TPM and AotC and 3 years in between AotC and RotS. Just because there wasn't as much heroism and friendship during the couple of months that we saw him, doesn't mean that there wasn't any during the 13 years we didn't see.

But wouldn't you think that such qualities should have been shown in the films, seeing as Obi-Wan described him as "a cunning warrior" and "a good friend"? You don't need a diverse continuity to put an emphasis on that.

I know there are time gaps, but I'm not going to make excuses for poor storytelling.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Jedi Joe wrote:
But wouldn't you think that such qualities should have been shown in the films, seeing as Obi-Wan described him as "a cunning warrior" and "a good friend"?

That was what the elevator scene was establishing in AOTC. And the whole intro of ROTS. There is only so much you can tell in a 2 hour movie.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm with Joe on this one. Some backstory shouldn't be fleshed out to give the world depth, but important details like Anakin and Obi-Wan's friendship should have certainly been put in. It's kind of funny, really. A common complaint against the prequels is that they explain to much and thus take away the mystery of Star Wars, but the one thing we did want to see wasn't included (or very briefly).

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 2