Colorado Theater Shooting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colorado Theater Shooting
 PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I hate to start this thread, but I assume it will start to come up in conversation. For anyone who may not know, 24 year old James Holmes walked into a midnight premier of The Dark Knight Rises and opened fire. 12 were killed, and a reported 78 were injured. Holmes was dressed in body armor and was wearing a gas mask. He had a reported 4 weapons and an explosive that released smoke/gas into the theater.

I really have no words to say. I just don't understand people like this. This is incredibly tragic.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I agree. It's horrible beyond words. I don't understand how people can do these things. I mean, those victims, innocent moviegoers, they'll never get their lives back. And it's just as bad for those people's families and friends.

Not to be a cynic, but sometimes our society disgusts me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I was wondering if anyone was going to bring it up. You'd have to live on Mars to not have heard. It's just incredibly sad and disturbing all around. Many prayers and condolences to the victims and their families.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

My family is on vacation, and they don't listen to the radio and have no TV. So they hadn't heard until I just told them. It's such a sad situation. That's all I can keep saying.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Ouch. It doesn't feel good to be the bearer of such horrible news. It is very sad. I don't know what else we could say. Sometimes you just want to huddle together and pray for it to be over or just a dream. I guess we just have to remember the thousands of beautiful things life has to offer, but it sure is difficult with this level of ugliness.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Some seriously messed up people in this world. Thankfully don't get anything like this here where I live, most we get is some teenage wannabe 'gangster' getting stabbed to death or shot dead in London or Manchester usually, and few people care because it raises the countries' average IQ level and gets another scumbag off the streets.
F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

This is indeed a sad occasion, and my condolences go to the families of the dead.

I've heard it suggested that this man was psychologically ill. I don't know about the veracity of this claim, since I've not heard it suggested in other reports, but if true it's probable that we'll experience an increase in these cases. Statistically, the increase in populations - both global and local - would call for a proportionate increase in those with mental problems.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote  

I've been wondering about why no one saw this coming. Assuming the guy didn't own collect this stuff over several years shouldn't buying a bunch of guns, body armor, smoke grenades, plus enough explosives/material to make explosive devices to rig his apartment set off all sorts of red flags with some agency somewhere?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

You would think. But if terrorists learning to fly passenger planes doesn't, then what does?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote  

Mad Wook wrote:
You would think. But if terrorists learning to fly passenger planes doesn't, then what does?

No idea. The dude apparently bought over 6,000 rounds of ammo and no red flag ( http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/justice/colorado-shooting-weapons/index.html ). He apparently may have also made an improvised napalm bomb along with various other IEDs for his apartment ( http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/21/us/colorado-shooting-suspect-apartment/index.html?eref=igoogledmn_topstories ).

If nothing else comes of this I hope we at least take note of how the guy was able to create such a massive arsenal without raising any suspicion and close the loopholes in the system that allowed him to do so.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Things like this sad me. More and more we get to have poodoo like this.
Like Luke92 said, local stabbings and things don't even move us anymore.

I may joke and use sarcasm in the 2012 thread, but I worry that things like that will kill humanity. We have people who "want to go out in style" and egomaniac psychopaths running countries and corporations.

Homo sapiens sapiens is slowly getting replaced by Homo sapiens psychoticus. (Sp? as I don't speak latin)

Humanity is in bad bad place right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Homo sapiens dementia?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:13 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Is it true that the guy was wearing a Batman costume, so instead of banning guns, they banned wearing costumes in cinemas? Confused

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't think he was wearing a Batman costume. I think he was wearing the armour and dyed his hair red. The banning of costumes, I think, is accurate though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote  

According to CNN he was wearing full tactical hear, a helmet, gas mask and a bullet proof vest. CNN also said he bought all the stuff over a 3 month period leading up to the shooting.

I know one thing, it's hard to go see a movie now without feeling creepy. Sitting there in the theater, you feel trapped and exposed, especially if you're like me and like to sit in the middle of the row. It would be very difficult to make it to the exit.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 2