The New Bigs!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
The New Bigs!!
 PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

So with Crucible supposedly finally, officially, passing on the torch to the new generation, who does everyone else feel should become the new main characters?

Ben, I feel like I could live with as a replacement for Luke, however I don't know if I could take Jaina taking on a bigger role than she currently has, as I just can't get that into her. Honestly I hope Jag is a more prominent character, just because he is different from almost every other character we have so far. So what do you guys think? Can Ben, Jaina, and Jag carry the stories?? And what other characters would you like to see?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote  

I could definitely see Ben, Jaina, and Allana as the new Big 3. The nice thing about that is each of them would have their own little entourage of characters. Jaina would have her group of peers and Jag. Ben would have a younger generation around him, and Allana could have an even younger generation.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

If they are truly going to passing the torch, then they shouldn't limit it to just a few people. There are several characters worth telling stories about and trying to hold just a few people up as the chosen ones is just foolish and limits stories.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Venku.

And K'kruhk. I mean HE is around. Utilize him!

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Now, now. Randy says K'Kruhk was not around. Maybe trapped on a planet or something. Don't get him irritated. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:05 am Reply with quote  

Werehunter has a good point. Should Del Rey/Lucasbooks focus future novels on a small cast of characters or should they pursue a large variety of characters without a central cast?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I lean towards a sort of NJO type style, where the Big Three where very central, but you had other characters having very important parts as well. (like Corran, Kyp, and Ganner come to mind.) But while I'm not opposed to having more series about diverse characters ( Actually I would like more of them such as Shadow games, or crosscurrent) I also think you still need have central characters , to help move the galaxy events along.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

A central cast (but bigger than just Ben, Jaina, Jag and Allana), but with several secondary characters.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:39 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

So what do guys think about Vestara? Is she going to become a central part of the EU, as she was in FOTJ, or do you think she will become more of a background character?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ultimatedash wrote:
So what do guys think about Vestara? Is she going to become a central part of the EU, as she was in FOTJ, or do you think she will become more of a background character?

I don't think she'll be as central as Ben, Jaina, Jag, Allana, etc. are, but she might pop up every once in a while. I could see her as a recurring villian.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I don't think you need a central cast to move things along galaxy wise. But rather you need some key institutions that play a major role in those things. I would have six institutions, maybe seven. The Jedi (of course), GA Senate, GA military, Hapes, Empire, The One Sith, and then maybe the Lost Tribe. Out of those the Senate would only need to play a minor role.

However they can use any person who is a member of those institutions to move things along. Instead of using Jania and Ben as the focus of the story, have Jania overseeing a group of younger Jedi who are the focus of the story.

Use a X-wing like novel to introduce a new conflict which other books can then explore. But there's no reason that there needs to be a specific person to introduce the new conflict.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Personally, I prefer central characters, because if we're always constantly bouncing around between characters, you lose your investment in the story. Don't get me wrong, I love books like Crosscurrent, Shadow games, and such that deal with other characters, but I also need stories of the big three, because I'm invested in them and care about them, much more so than Dash Rendar or Jaden. Because I've spent more time with them. We do need more characters in the mix, but we don't need to do away with central characters, and basically make the entire EU a massive" Tales of"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:14 am Reply with quote  

Personally, I could go either way, but I think in order to hold a direction for the EU they have to have some kind of central cast that things always come back to. They can bounce off on a side trip every now and then, but the core story would always come back to that core cast who would be in a role of leadership.

However, it's definitely time for the Big 3 to retire and start playing really small roles while the new generation gets fleshed out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I don't mind having characters that are used often. But I don't think that all the problems have to be solved by the same group of people. It only makes everyone else look extremely incompetent. They've built Luke up so much that the rest of the Jedi Council are left acting like children whenever he's not around.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Is it sad that I saw the title of this thread and thought that it was about a new backstory for Biggs Darklighter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 1 of 2