2012 Olympics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
2012 Olympics
 PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I noticed we didn't have a thread for the London Games. Anyone here catch the opening ceremonies last night? I personally found them to be disappointing and a bit boring. Although I can't deny that the 100 foot Voldemort was awesome.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Didn't catch the ceremony. Am off to the Ricoh Arena in Coventry tomorrow though to watch Mexico vs Gabon and Switzerland vs South Korea in the football. Then Wednesday going to the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff to see Great Britain vs Uruguay and Saturday going to Old Trafford in Manchester for one of the quarter finals that could end up being Brazil vs Spain Very Happy
F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I watched the opening ceremony and loved it.

Haven't seen any match/race though. A few highlights on the news but that is all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I don't like the Olympics.

I mean, I watched the 2010 Opening Ceremonies, but that's more "Patriotism! Yay Canada!" than anything else.

I don't watch sports at any other time of year, with the exception of the occasional holiday weekend when I'm visiting my parents or my in-laws. So Olympic season is no different. Just more sports on TV that I'm not watching.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't really understand the olympics. I mean I get the activities that aren't normally shown on TV, like running, but how do they do sports that are already being broadcast? Like for instance basketball. Do they just have the best players from the NBA perform at the Olympics, and if not, why not?
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'm fairly certain that they compile a "dream team" from the best players of the NBA.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I don't really understand the olympics. I mean I get the activities that aren't normally shown on TV, like running, but how do they do sports that are already being broadcast? Like for instance basketball. Do they just have the best players from the NBA perform at the Olympics, and if not, why not?

Well first of all, the teams are on a national level. Someone who plays in the NBA isn't automatically an American. As good as that person may be, his team may not even be in the olympics.
Which brings us back to the topic of which team makes it to the Olympics. I'm not exactly sure, but It's usually how good the team was on the world cup and other big competitions.
Plus we have continental/national quotas in most sports. So if a certain country has the top 10 runners in the world for instance, they can only bring their top three (the number is a guess) runners to the Olympics.
There are also norm A (national qualification norm) and norm B (international qualification norm) in some sports and sometimes norm B can be overlooked in favor of the norm A. That's why we can have things like individuals that have never seen the snow in the winter olympic games, which doesn't happen in the world cup competitions.
There are other restrictions like football (soccer) teams on the Olympiad are all U-23 (under the age of 23), boxers are all amateurs and more.

^This has been explained to me over the years by individuals who know much more about their favorite sports than I do, but I never actually checked if all of the above is fact or Sith.

Truth be told there are few Olympic disciplines I care about.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:26 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I'm fairly certain that they compile a "dream team" from the best players of the NBA.

lol, I'm pretty sure that's where the term "dream team" comes from, one of the early NBA-based Olympic basketball teams, featuring the likes of Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson, which led the US to totally dominate basketball. I think that was in 1992.

I went to the Olympic museum in Lausanne, Switzerland last December. I may not care for the games, but I love the history.

And basketball isn't the only sport that does this. All the best countries in hockey at the Winter Olympics have their teams filled with NHL players. Hence why Canada tends to dominate the hockey games.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wat do you Brits think of the flap over the video of an Argentine athlete training in the Falklands back in May?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I never heard about it. I just looked it up and it was an ad, taken up and used for political propaganda by the Argentinian govt.

It was certainly dispespectful - showing the athlete using a war memorial as training ground - but the general reaction I can see online is that it was a rather desparate attempt to gain popular enthusiasm for their claim to the Falklands, and not worth getting overly excited about.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Something about this image really...I don't know. But I just really like it. Winning gold:

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^^ Sure beats my usual Bella Swan expiration when I win/lose something. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Corellias Dream wrote:
I never heard about it. I just looked it up and it was an ad, taken up and used for political propaganda by the Argentinian govt.

It was certainly dispespectful - showing the athlete using a war memorial as training ground - but the general reaction I can see online is that it was a rather desparate attempt to gain popular enthusiasm for their claim to the Falklands, and not worth getting overly excited about.

I had heard about it, but my reaction was pretty much the same.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Just watched Britain win three medals in as many minutes.

Silver and bronze in the men's pommel horse. Louis Smith got the same total score as the winner, but the Hungarian had a higher score for execution of his routine, so was awarded the gold.

Andy Murray demolished Roger Federer at Wimbledon to get the men's singles gold in tennis. Federer beat him on the same court just a month ago to win the Wimbledon title, for something like the seventh time, sealing his place as the most successful tennis player of all time. So very sweet for Andy to not just beat him, but in straight sets, and to take Olympic gold.
That should set Andy up nicely for his match this evening, in the Mixed Doubles final. So either silver, or gold again.

The Post Office are painting some post boxes gold: one for each gold medal won in the Olympics or Paralymics. There'll be one turning gold here in Sheffield soon, after Jessica Ennis' win in the heptathlon last night. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

The Daily Show last week did a great spot about how the US newsmedia is handling the games. It was rather funny.

In brief, the way I understand it, NBC bought exclusive rights to the games in the US. They have chosen to air the games as if they are live, but during primetime. The other networks acknowledge this, but are trapped in a conundrum: they need to recognize NBC's right to show the games, and that most Americans have not yet seen a given event, but also have an obligation to report the news. So they've started using "Spoiler Alerts." Not a bad technique, but they haven't been successful at it. They'd say "If you don't want to hear the results of Michael Phelps's race, hit mute now." And then they'd show on the screen "PHELPS: GOLD". That mute didn't help at all!

And apparently NBC does a bit of cutting. In that they cut away from a really moving tribute to victims of terrorism in the UK (or do I have that wrong?) because it didn't matter to the US. And, less offensively, removed long waiting periods (like where an athlete is getting rid of the lactic acid in his muscles for 30 minutes, but they cut away 20 minutes of the wait).

I know I don't watch the games, but I'm glad that in Canada there are numerous networks showing the games. Out of curiosity, do people in the Northern US get any Canadian channels, and therefore watch the games on our channels too?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 2