What EU Book Are You Reading Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126 ... 144, 145, 146  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Reading Darth Revan, and I'm having a real hard time getting into it. I know the basic plot of KOTOR, but I expected it to retell that story for those who haven't played the game- it doesn't. If I didn't know who Darth Revan was I would have no idea why I'm supposed to be reading a book about him. When the character is introduced all it says is that he fought Mandos and had amnesia. Then it starts to develop a story about espionage among the Sith Lords. I assume that Revan will connect to that somehow, but that's a pretty bad way to begin a book by starting the story of the secondary characters instead of the guy who the book is supposed to be about.

I guess it's targeted just toward people who already played the games, and not to new readers who are first being introduced to the Old Republic timeline.

Its actually set between the games. I wasn't super impressed with it. Revan has reached such a god-like status that its weird to see him carry a novel, especially one that short. Scourge is interesting though, and he actually steals the show in the book. The Jedi Exile isn't too impressive either, that was disappointing.

I actually think the games should have been novelized for those who didn't play the games. It would have fit into the TOR novel campaign that they have going on. People like you who know the gist of the story but not the entirety would benefit from having it laid out concrete instead of the possibilities from the game being interpreted the way they are.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I wish the games would be novelized. It's a bit annoying to have an important and much beloved character basically out of reach for us non-gamers.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

They're kind of diefying Revan, I'd be happy they aren't novelizing it all if I were you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Is he becoming the new Son? Wink

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Is he becoming the new Son? Wink

Ha! Honestly kinda worse...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh gosh.

Star Wars, what have you become? Sad

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm a nongamer and I really dig Revan's character. I really don't see what you mean. If he would have replaced the thousand year old Emperor, then I could see it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mad Wook wrote:
I'm a nongamer and I really dig Revan's character. I really don't see what you mean. If he would have replaced the thousand year old Emperor, then I could see it.

He survives to this day, he's been turned into a Jedi god. I hate that they think making a character bigger or whatever makes it better. I didn't mind his character too much in the novel, but the novel itself was lip-service to the stories laid down in the games.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm pretty sure his wookieepedia page said he did the Ben Kenobi in TOR. I'll look again but I'm pretty sure.

Edit: It says - Before the final blow struck, Revan's body disappeared in a flash of light.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mad Wook wrote:
I'm pretty sure his wookieepedia page said he did the Ben Kenobi in TOR. I'll look again but I'm pretty sure.

Edit: It says - Before the final blow struck, Revan's body disappeared in a flash of light.

Ya but Kenobi's just vanished. I don't think he died, there's a lot of thought that he survived. And as super-powered as he's become it wouldn't shock me. He's hundreds of years old and is the only Jedi strong enough to actually do what he does, I think he'll be back.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Quote:
He's hundreds of years old

That was only because he was in stasis. So technically he was the same age when he came out as when he went in 300 years earlier.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This is true MW, but there's still the rest of that situation where he controlled the most powerful being in the galaxy and he vanished in a giant flash, leaving him most likely somewhere else int he galaxy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm not familiar with TOR at all besides what I read on Wookieepedia and in the novels and comics. So he took control of the Sith Emperor? I kept thinking he was going to become him by the end of the book. I really don't understand it but SW authors do have a tendency to make the characters god-like. Luke's another example of this. How has that guy survived all those near-death experiences. It's getting flat out ridiculous. I guess with those eras long before the movies, it just works for me similar to our real world myths, whereas the movie stories feel more grounded in the present so completely unreal. Ya know? I doon't know. It's just easier for me to buy the Revan stories than where Luke is at now. They had the perfect outs for Luke and Han in Apocalypse and missed it. It's just getting old with them. So if they're still alive, why not have Revan as some deity, huh? Lol. Anyway, I'm done ranting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Revan novel was a gamer novel that non players can read, but will never look at it the same way that the gamers have. Some dudes who played KoTOR 1,2 were getting out of line on the forums (not this one), of what Revan can and can't do. For some Revan was God. For some Revan was an idiot who outshined the Exile (the true God for some). I hated those discussions (part of the reason I've joined the Cantina). The Revan novel was actually half Revan, half Scourge novel. Something to tie KoTOR & TOR together and to get possible recruits for the (then) upcoming TOR game from non KoTOR players. Well that's my theory at least.

Novalization of KoTOR? I say wait a few more years, so everyone forgets about Revan, make a novel about <insert>, make it right and make it so that even those of us who played KoTOR will be surprised about the fact that <insert> Is Revan.
Make it better than the "Kyle Katarn" novels please.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Hey I dug Soldier for the Empire. All except that one litle section where they walk you through the first person shooter. I actually just read it for the first time a few months back. I thought the first 3/4 of it was great. Original at least. I enjoyed Revan too. I'm pretty easy to please most of the time. Wink

I'm reading Lost Tribe of the Sith now. Just finished the first 3 sections/ebooks. It's the best SW I've read since Darth Plagueis. Way better than Apocalypse or Scourge.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 125 of 146