New Jedi Order Appreciation Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I think it's important to remember though, that just because it's set in a certain era, doesmt make it a great story. I mean the NJO was fantastic, but it still had a few bombs (anything will in something with that many books) and I mean, why take the risk of spoiling what we have? Personally, I think it's time to move forward, and get NEW great stories, rather than focusing on the old.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@UD: We've been moving forward for 10 years since that story ended, and its just escalating into ridiculousness. Nothing wrong with going back and experimenting with the last truly successful era once again, especially after DN, LotF, and some of the weaker aspects of FotJ (good as a whole but overall still not amazing). Now they're launching another major series with Crucible and I'm just not excited. The Big 3 continuing to survive all this gets more unrealistic all the time, they're stretching for plotlines, and scrambling to throw in TCW references to validate it in the EU. I'm not saying we can't go forward because we should, but they need to change direction in a big way and I'm honestly ok with revisiting successful eras. Anything set in the NJO era wouldn't be part of the main 19 book storyline, but it would be interesting. Moving forward has led to them almost completely ignoring the Vong war to the point of ridiculous and I'm done with cleanups and with-washing and lip-service, I just am.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

O, I agree with you on almost all your complaints, but my point is this. They did a great job on NJO, but Dark Nest was just ok(in my opinion), LOTF was stupid, and FOTJ was good but basically just cleaned up the mess LOTF made or the galaxy. So why would we assume they can go back and write stories as good as NJO, simply because they did it before, when lately they haven't been able to? I just think if people keep demanding it, they might do it, and we end up with a less enjoyable series/era, because the new ones aren't up to par.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Letting a new story 'ruin' the era it happens to be set in is a silly approach. It's like saying that (as a random title) 'Choices of One' isn't that good, then it ruins the whole Rebellion era.

Not every book in the NJO was good by any means. The overall impression is good, but not every single element in it was. Why should we assume that they can't write stories at least as good as most of the current NJO novels, or even better ? At least with standalone episodes they can't screw up by a badly-thought out ending, which has been the main problem with the LOTF and FOTJ.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I undertake that, but people are asking for books set in the NJO, like that will fix the problem of declining quality, and what I'm trying to say is, if ou want more Yuuzhan Vong war, that's fine, but I've just seen and talked to people who act like if it's got Yuuzhan Vong in it, it's gonna be a good book, which just isn't true.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

GrandMaster wrote:
illogicalRogue2 wrote:
Like they forget that the NJO was standalones duologies and one trilogy.

I have never thought of the NJO as standalones, duologies, and trilogies. It's all one long series to me. And it was branded as 1 long series.

It was both- it was one long series of standalones duologies and the one trilogy. But people tend to forget that despite it being an era it was more than just one series.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ultimatedash wrote:
I undertake that, but people are asking for books set in the NJO, like that will fix the problem of declining quality, and what I'm trying to say is, if ou want more Yuuzhan Vong war, that's fine, but I've just seen and talked to people who act like if it's got Yuuzhan Vong in it, it's gonna be a good book, which just isn't true.

By all means you are right, the species won't make the story good. But I'd take another Stover book set in the NJO over anything post FotJ by Denning any day. Its been 10 years, I'd like to return to that era for a bit because it was unique, not just Jedi and Sith kicking the crap out of each other. Invasion was a trip back into that era but it was only hit and miss, but an author that worked in that era and did well would be nice. Stover, Tyers, Luceno, I'd take a standalone story in the NJO from them over some of the nonsense they've pumped out any day. We've had good luck going back into old eras with standalones. We got Scourge, then there was Plagueis (some liked it, some didn't, but it at least caused debate), and the outstanding Shadows of Mindor so we know revisiting eras works. That one is beloved by most so I think it'd work.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Why is it a dichotomy of either Stover in that era or Denning in this one? They could always have Stover (or even Allston) write something in the current era. I understand why people aren't all too happy about the stories moving forward, being led by Denning (I feel that way, too), but I just can't see that he'll be the only one writing in the Legacy era. Especially since they'll most likely be pushing out more stories, with the renewal of their contract. Logistically, Denning can't do it by himself.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
Why is it a dichotomy of either Stover in that era or Denning in this one? They could always have Stover (or even Allston) write something in the current era. I understand why people aren't all too happy about the stories moving forward, being led by Denning (I feel that way, too), but I just can't see that he'll be the only one writing in the Legacy era. Especially since they'll most likely be pushing out more stories, with the renewal of their contract. Logistically, Denning can't do it by himself.

Again, its not about that. In the novels though we have revisited every era except the NJO and it isn't about the fact that they had good offerings in that era, its simply about revisiting. Like I've stated we've had several offerings that went back to other eras and since Del Rey took over that one was the most solid, can we not take another visit there? The EU hasn't been as interesting since and it fluctuates in quality so badly that it'd be nice to have one novel set in an era that was more enjoyable. Moving forward should and is going to happen, but can I not want a novel in the NJO era by an author or two that I love? Shoot, they've retouched every other blasted era.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote  

That's kind of a two edged sword, though. On one hand it's in the hands of the editors and what direction they want to take the books. On the other hand, it's up to the authors and what stories they want to tell. For a standalone NJO book, that would really fall into the court of an author wanting to tell another NJO story. I can't see any of the authors wanting to do that.

However, I could see Tom Taylor stepping up to the plate to write a NJO novel. If anyone really wants to see another NJO novel, that would be the one to bug Del Rey about. It has the biggest chance of actually happening.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Then lets bug em. Petitions, e-mails, a darn candlelight vigil or something, but lets help it happen. I miss the era, it had enjoyable characters and conflict, and it was the last time the EU was truly incredible. I'd be willing to fight for another one. I wouldn't be as excited for Tom Taylor writing it because his Blood Ties stuff has been ok but shoot, if it meant a shot at a decent story in the era I'd at least be curious.

There are so many stories left to tell from the war as well. Something from the Yuuzhan Vong point-of-view, maybe a story set on Shelter with the tentacle that became Abeloth, perhaps a collection of short stories about touched-on-but-forgotten characters like Danni Quee or maybe a "What-Happened-On-The-Ship-With-Raynar" story. Heck, even stories set during Destiny's Way would be good since the guerrilla combat got glossed over and it could easily be expanded into stories. This is something I would love to see happen. We have an over-loaded Rebellion era, we have an inconsistent Prequel era, and we have been getting decent stories in the New Republic Era. The Legacy Era has been ok but its not out of line to want an NJO book that is well crafted by a respected and established EU author to just give us a piece of what we haven't seen, and since its a galaxy spanning conflict that wouldn't take much effort at all. Heck, they created Mander just for Scourge, they could do something like that again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I've always thought a "Tales of the New Jedi Order" book would be pretty cool.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

GrandMaster wrote:
I've always thought a "Tales of the New Jedi Order" book would be pretty cool.

Yes! A thousand times yes.

And I'm with you Caedus. I'd sign your petition. The NJO was also one of my favorite times. Actually, with the PT and the NJO going on around the same time, that was an awesome time to be a fan.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote  

The Tales of the NJO movement. I could get behind that Very Happy

I'd start a petition, but I was pretty unhappy with the last online petition site I tried. Too much junk mail. A Facebook page might be the better choice.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Go for it Skuls, I'll join that. Actually I tried getting a group of friends to do a short story collection set in the NJO that we could have turned in or whatever. Its nuts getting them to try, but this 'Tales' thing could be so amazing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 7 of 7