New Post FOTJ Trilogy Announced: SWORD OF THE JEDI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Reepicheep wrote:
I'm hoping Jaina will play an "Emperor's Hand" role for the Jedi, sneaking past rules and bureaucracy to deliver true justice. Similar to what she did with Dark Meld (and with Hamner out of the way and the Jedi separating from the GA it might work out easier).

I hope the exact opposite actually. One thing about the Sword of the Jedi is that she's the public face. She represents all the good that the Jedi can do, both as a warrior and not. She doesn't wield the sword, she is the sword. She was trusted to mediate the Klaatooinian-Hutt debacle in FOTJ (Allies or Vortex?) She is the poster child of the Jedi. She can't be sneaking around being a vigilante in the dark in the name of Justice. That would ruin her reputation to the people who believe in the regular justice system.

I picture her in a role of visible leader, much like what Anakin and Obi-Wan were in the Clone Wars. A general, but on the front line of the battlefield with her men, fighting as much with words as with her blade.

And I'm hoping it will end with some resolution about the Imperial Knights. It needn't be her leading it; maybe it could be Tahiri with guidance from Jaina, but there should be a reference to it.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Well I'll definitely give it an open-minded chance. Christie Golden is far from the worst.

And I agree, Wild Space was one of my least favorite books ever. Just my opinion. Don't want to offend.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I get Wild Space and No Prisoners confused. I liked one, was meh about the other.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I get Wild Space and No Prisoners confused. I liked one, was meh about the other.

Wild Space was the one with Obi-wan and Bail running around the wierd Sith planet (Ziogoola I believe?)

And I agree DLOS that Jaina needs to become the public face of the Jedi.

However, I disagree that the Imperial Knights need to be formed. They only make sense if Jag is made Emperor of the Empire (that felt wierd to type), so unless that happens, after it was deliberately written away from at the end of FOTJ, I don't see the need for that.

Honestly, I would be extremely happy if Legacy was deamed to be the vision of the future that Jacen was trying to prevent from coming to happen by turning to the dark side. It makes a lot of sense that way, and gives the authors WAY more freedom with what they write going forward. Just personal preference though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Ah. Will I be crucified if I say I really liked Wild Space?

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I shall be crucified with you, because I really liked it, myself. Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I want to see three things.

1st: Jania being shown as a strong and capable leader. Either on a large or small scale.

2nd: Jania and Jag's marriage being shown as strong and not in trouble as in Fate of the Jedi.

3rd: Jania with an Apprentice. I would love to see her a personal mentor to someone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth_Henning wrote:

Wild Space was the one with Obi-wan and Bail running around the wierd Sith planet (Ziogoola I believe?)

And I agree DLOS that Jaina needs to become the public face of the Jedi.

However, I disagree that the Imperial Knights need to be formed. They only make sense if Jag is made Emperor of the Empire (that felt wierd to type), so unless that happens, after it was deliberately written away from at the end of FOTJ, I don't see the need for that.

This pretty mch captures my viewpoint. Legacy is an interesting story, but knowing how all of this ends kind of limits the authors and the stories they can tell. And, it would make perfect sense if this future was avoided because of Jacen. Because of the chaos he unleashed, Abeloth was released from her prison, and Darth Krayt had to reveal himself, so now the Jedi know he's out there.
Honestly, I would be extremely happy if Legacy was deamed to be the vision of the future that Jacen was trying to prevent from coming to happen by turning to the dark side. It makes a lot of sense that way, and gives the authors WAY more freedom with what they write going forward. Just personal preference though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I wouldn't go as far as to say I "really" liked it, but it wasn't the worst novel I've ever read. So no.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

A fan tweeted:

Quote:
I mean, I'm amped for Jaina stories too, I am just dying to know how the Empire got Kniights!! Haha

Jennifer Heddle replied:

Quote:
No Cade books planned, but we know the Imperial Knights are canon we are headed toward in future chronology. Hang in there? Wink

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Dancelittleewok wrote:
A fan tweeted:

Quote:
I mean, I'm amped for Jaina stories too, I am just dying to know how the Empire got Kniights!! Haha

Jennifer Heddle replied:

Quote:
No Cade books planned, but we know the Imperial Knights are canon we are headed toward in future chronology. Hang in there? Wink

Well...that's disappointing to say the least.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I don't mind them getting Imperial Knights, as long as they are not the exact same as in the comic. Have them be a slightly brighter version, leaving Legacy as the dark future.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Darth_Henning wrote:

I wouldn't go as far as to say I "really" liked it, but it wasn't the worst novel I've ever read. So no.

It's a book that people really liked or really hated. I didn't like the premise or the dialogue. Obi-Wan and Bail seemed like a bickering old couple. And why was a Senator going to a Sith planet with a Jedi in the middle of a war, without any backup?

The book existed solely to establish a relationship between Bail and Obi-Wan, because Episode IV references that they had a history. "General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars."
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Werehunter wrote:
I don't mind them getting Imperial Knights, as long as they are not the exact same as in the comic. Have them be a slightly brighter version, leaving Legacy as the dark future.

Unfortunately Jennifer's Tweet indicates that we're getting exactly what's in the comic (eventually). Ah well.

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Darth_Henning wrote:

It's a book that people really liked or really hated. I didn't like the premise or the dialogue. Obi-Wan and Bail seemed like a bickering old couple. And why was a Senator going to a Sith planet with a Jedi in the middle of a war, without any backup?

The book existed solely to establish a relationship between Bail and Obi-Wan, because Episode IV references that they had a history. "General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars."

I never said that the book made sense. Just that it wasn't as unreadably horrible as some suggest.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
I'm hoping Jaina will play an "Emperor's Hand" role for the Jedi, sneaking past rules and bureaucracy to deliver true justice. Similar to what she did with Dark Meld (and with Hamner out of the way and the Jedi separating from the GA it might work out easier).

I hope the exact opposite actually. One thing about the Sword of the Jedi is that she's the public face. She represents all the good that the Jedi can do, both as a warrior and not. She doesn't wield the sword, she is the sword. She was trusted to mediate the Klaatooinian-Hutt debacle in FOTJ (Allies or Vortex?) She is the poster child of the Jedi. She can't be sneaking around being a vigilante in the dark in the name of Justice. That would ruin her reputation to the people who believe in the regular justice system.

I picture her in a role of visible leader, much like what Anakin and Obi-Wan were in the Clone Wars. A general, but on the front line of the battlefield with her men, fighting as much with words as with her blade.

And I'm hoping it will end with some resolution about the Imperial Knights. It needn't be her leading it; maybe it could be Tahiri with guidance from Jaina, but there should be a reference to it.

I've never actually read the book where Luke gave Jaina the title "Sword of the Jedi" so I've always been fuzzy on what being the "Sword of the Jedi" means.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 4