Empire and Rebellion Series
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Empire and Rebellion Series
 PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

From TFN regarding an announcement from CVI which I didn't realize that we didn't have a thread for yet:

"Del Rey is planning a classic adventure series set between Episodes IV and V called "Rebels." The first one will be told from Leia's point of view and written by Martha Wells, an author who is new to the Expanded Universe. The second one will be written by another new EU author, Kevin Hearne, and told from Luke's point of view"

While I'm curious to see what two new authors can bring to the EU, I am very concerned about this fitting into the already continuity crammed years between ANH and ESB. I'm not the only one I assume?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm looking forward to them, especially the Leia point of view one. I actually hope that Luke and Han play very minor roles in that book. It is a perfect chance to explore the other side of the Rebellion. The part that was about convincing the various groups to work together and to bring in other groups.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I won't, lie, I'm worried about the possible continuity issues, but at the same time, I'm hoping this will focus more on the inner workings of the Rebellion, and the Big Three's place in it, than just Luke, Han, and Leia stopping the Empire from some horrible new plot. If they take it in that direction, show the Big 3 interacting with other rebels, show Luke, Han, and Leia simply occupying their normal places rather than beig the superstar heroes, it could be interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

That is a worry, yes, but I'd quite like the Leia one. From what I recall about it (which may be wrong) it sounds interesting. Haven't heard anything about the Luke one, though, which is odd.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Isn't this similar to the Rebel Force series? And this one is called Rebels? Sounds like a repeat to me. Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Rebel Force was a young reader series; this sounds like it might be adult-oriented.

Also, Rebel Force was told in a more general way, if memory serves (I haven't read them yet, but I assumed they were like normal books). These focus specifically on one character. Like The Force Unleashed I, or the Ryder Windham biographies.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Actually, Rebel Force was more like a sequel to Jedi Apprentice, Jedi Quest, and Last of the Jedi. It featured some of the same characters (such as Ferus Olin), just set right after A New Hope. Luke, Han and Leia weren't exactly the stars.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

GrandMaster wrote:
Actually, Rebel Force was more like a sequel to Jedi Apprentice, Jedi Quest, and Last of the Jedi. It featured some of the same characters (such as Ferus Olin), just set right after A New Hope. Luke, Han and Leia weren't exactly the stars.

When I said "these", I was referring to the new books, not the Rebel Force books.

But I concede that I was unclear.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote  

Just announced at New York Comic Con, the Rebels series will have a third book by James S. A. Correy featuring Han Solo during the Classic Era.

Source: Del Rey Books

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I really like this concept. I hope we see other characters explored like Wedge, Garm Bel Ibis, or Mon Mothma.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote  

Sort of teeny, tiny request, but would the Rebels series look cool with awesome artwork on the spines? Maybe full character art: Leia, Luke, and Han, each on their perspective book spine. It would be similar to how R2 and C-3PO are on the spines of Heir to the Empire.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

A Mon Mothma book would be interesting but I highly doubt it would happen.

I could see an Ackbar book happening, have some space battles that focus on the big ships instead of the small ones.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Just announced at New York Comic Con, the Rebels series will have a third book by James S. A. Correy featuring Han Solo during the Classic Era.

Source: Del Rey Books

Though good to see this officially confirmed, I can't say I'm surprised. With Luke and Leia getting one, it was almost a garuntee.

That said, I agree with the others that I'd like to see this series tackle some of the other Rebels, rather than just being limited to the Big 3.

Wedge would be a great look at starfighter combat. Mon Mothma would be great to see the political macinations behind the rebellion. Iblis would be an awesome read to finally explore a very underused character. Ackbar would be amazing to see the other side of space battles. Feyla would be an intriguing character study.

And though this reaches into the even more exceedingly likely think of ones on the supporting characters: Dodonna, Crackin, Drayson, and the other's who made the rebellion and New Republic run who have never gotten much face time.

This could be a really killer series if done right.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote  

If the Rebels series does well, I could easily see Del Rey doing another three. Wedge would be an easy choice, possibly Mon Mothma, and Ackbar could be a possibility. Would be really neat if they did the Wedge one to focus on the members of Red Squadron.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

They should do one for Jek Porkins. Razz

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2