Finally after 32 years....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finally after 32 years....
 PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

.... I may finally leave this great franchise once and for all. Some of you know that months ago I was constantly posting here but recently my interest in the franchise has waned to the point were I might just leave the franchise.

Why? Well there is nothing really happening. Im not a fan of the clone wars so the series has little appeal. I have finished reading the FOTJ series but dont see anything decent on the horizon books wise. I have read virtually everything SW related but find littele to get excited about.

I never missed a SW Insider issue until two issues ago I said No theres no point getting it. It was the first time I ever missed an issue. Thats when I knew it was over for me.

Unless you guys and girls can help me my love affair with Star Wars after 32 years when I saw the Empire Strikes Back is over...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Well, I'm sorry to hear that, Revan. I can only suggest that you go back to basics. Find something that you do love, and stay with that. Or simply walk away, take some time off from Star Wars, as you suggest, and come back refreshed.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taking a little time away might not be a bad idea. But there are other options too.

- Hit up your local bookstore or comic shop and buy an Omnibus collection. At over 500 pages (usually), they offer a wide range of great stories that you probably haven't read in the better part of a decade - if you've read them at all.

- The upcoming future in terms of EU looks rather dull, but only because there hasn't been a major update to the release schedule yet. If you haven't read X-Wing: Mercy Kill, it definitely lives up to the hype. Zahn's Scoundrels is out at the end of the year, and it should be fantastic too. If you're into TOR, there's also a new TOR book to look forward to - and this one looks to be a much better story than Revan was. It's tough to get excited about things far away or that we don't know about (i.e. Sword of the Jedi, the Kemp "ambitious" duology, etc), but we'll probably get some announcements in the pretty near future as to what's coming down the pipeline.

- Honestly... check out The Clone Wars again. When it first aired, I stopped watching after four episodes. I thought it was dumb, a headache, a total waste of time, etc etc. But when it came out on Blu Ray, I picked it up and found that the show flows MUCH better when you aren't being constantly bombarded by ads aimed at children. It's also nice to be able to watch a three-part arc without waiting each week for the next installment. The series has been getting increasingly darker and more adult, and really hits its stride in season three. Whatever your aversion might be, I definitely recommend trying to let some bias or frustrations take a back seat to unadulterated Star Wars fun. It's actually pretty great.

But honestly, we can't help you find your Star Wars love. Maybe re-read a book or series that you enjoyed a lot? I've always said that if my Star Wars love was so tainted, I'd just revisit the NJO - my personal favorite series thus far. Everyone's love of the franchise is different, and my suggestions cover a pretty broad swath of it. Taking a couple months off, though, never hurts. You might find yourself craving it again in a few months. And if not - maybe you made the right choice.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Perhaps do like Peter Morrison and take a break? He took a few years off- in that time so much happened that he became excited again.

I fear the day your having.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Finally after 32 years....
 PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

darthrevan1 wrote:
I have read virtually everything SW related but find littele to get excited about.

To be honest, maybe this is part of the problem. I've done this with other serial fiction series and burnt out on them after a while. I'd suggest two things.

First: Go back and re-read your favorite book, comic, or whatever that is Star Wars related. Hell, even go back and play a video game that you love. Maybe doing that will remind you why you loved the stories in the first place. It's what I always do whenever I read a really bad story in a serial fiction series. I go back and remind myself that there is always promise of good stories.

Second: Stop reading everything. Still pick up some Star Wars things, but only what really looks interesting to you. I think I'm done with Star Wars until Scoundrels myself.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Playing TOR has seriously gotten me back into a Star Wars mood. I had avoided it for so long because of the mediocre reviews, but the game is amazing. Pure fun that I'd been missing in the Star Wars universe. It even has me interested to go read Revan, which has been on a shelf since I got it for Christmas. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I can't say I have any advice for you. This site is pretty much the only thing that's keeping my fandom going. I do have hope that Star Wars can get back on track one day, but I won't be holding my breath for it.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The comics are keeping me around. The Darth Vader series has been incredible, and Darth Maul has been ok despite how stupid bringing him back has been. LTotS could be ok.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My advice is pretty much what all the others said. Stop reading/watching/playing Star Wars whatsoever. It's like listening to a song over and over on your iPod until you hate that song and stop listening to it altogether. And then one day, far in the future when you look through your playlists again and want to delete that song you'll listen to it again and it will become your new personal favorite.
Believe me, it happened to me once (just not with Star Wars) and I promise you it works. After a while Star Wars will regain its magic once more. It always does... Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 1