Star Wars: Detours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote  

I don't believe we had a Detours thread yet, so here goes.

Official Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/starwarsdetours
StarWars.com Page with video clips: http://www.starwars.com/watch/detours/

Voice Actors include: Anthony Daniels, Billy Dee Williams, Ahmed Best, Donald Faison, Breckin Myer, Zachary Levi, Abraham Benrubi, Felicia Day, Grey DeLisle, Dee Bradley Baker, Catherine Taber, Jane Espenson, Weird Al Yankovic, and more.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'll admit...I laughed. The trailer was silly (bordering on stupid), but amusing.

And I love the voicecast! Grey DeLisle is one of my favs (ever since Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I didn't find it funny. The matte painting joke in the trailer was funny, but I didn't crack a smile through the rest of it.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

It was funny, but it was missing the ingenuity of Robot Chicken. Though Robot Chicken has all the crude humor, which I personally would prefer not to see. Where is the inbetween?! Meh. Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
It was funny, but it was missing the ingenuity of Robot Chicken. Though Robot Chicken has all the crude humor, which I personally would prefer not to see. Where is the inbetween?! Meh. Sad

I smirked a few times, but I don't think I laughed at all at any of the clips shown.

Personally I'm not a huge fan. I'll watch the frist few episodes to see how good/bad it is, but I'm not overly impressed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think this will probably be one of those shows that you either love it or hate it. I'll have to see a few episodes to decide which one it will be for me.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote  

I really like the Obi-Wan clips. Those made me laugh. Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm a huge SWRC fan so I'll check it out. I still can't figure out why people are freaking out about this from a continuity standpoint. It's a spoof.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Until GL decides he wants to get involved. Then it becomes messy.

TCW was EU once upon a time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Seriously? Detours is a joke show. It will not have anything to do with continuity. TCW is serious. It was made to tell more stories between the movies. People need to loosen up.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote  

*snickers* Death Star cover story as a galactic mall = canon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Exactly. Thank you. Can people just not enjoy fun things sometimes? The comedic value of the way Vader and Palpatine interact should be one of the first clues that it has NOTHING to do with canon.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mad Wook wrote:
Exactly. Thank you. Can people just not enjoy fun things sometimes? The comedic value of the way Vader and Palpatine interact should be one of the first clues that it has NOTHING to do with canon.

Detours has a lot of juvenile humor. That's not a bad thing, but it's a disappointment for fans in their 20s and older. I really don't see why, since older fans got the Star Wars Family Guy and Robot Chicken specials (DEFINITELY not for younger kids). And while a lot of the humor has (so far) seemed to be aimed really young, there are some great moments that will fly right over the kids' heads and we'll lap up (perfect example: the Princess Leia/Dex clip. At the end, when Lando sticks up for Leia's behavior - that's straight out of The Empire Strikes Back, and the hardcore fans will get a huge laugh out of it).

It's aimed at kids. Not everything about Star Wars is gonna appeal to all ages, and I think we just gotta recognize that. That doesn't mean it sucks or it's terrible - it just means it's not meant for you. And... that's ok.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Mad Wook wrote:
Seriously? Detours is a joke show. It will not have anything to do with continuity. TCW is serious. It was made to tell more stories between the movies. People need to loosen up.

Holocron continuity isn't as airtight to a show like this as you think.

On this very site I have argued with people who think anything GL touches becomes G-canon. Which isn't an entirely unreasonable impression to have, as the Conan Antonio Motti and planet Stewjon examples show that not even jokes by the man are safe from canon inclusion.

The thing about Holocron continuity is that it tracks canonicity by database entry, in other words, by individual topic. And while I agree that the idea that this show, individual episodes, or even skits being made canon is crazy, the above is more than enough precendent to think that if GL got involved, he might along the way come up with some clever idea or two, jokes even, that makes their way individually into the Holocron. Even if everything else about the show remains Infinites.

The good news is that being of such limited scope, any such canon distilled from this show could hardly be problematic. Or so I hope. With a show like this as its context, and Lucas having proven beyond doubt he cares more for the story he is currently telling than established history, who knows what individual facts could come of such jokes. Or what their ramification could be. TCW's Ryloth episodes managed to do quite a bit of damage with just one line of dialogue related to a certain tidal lock...

Don't underestimate the dark side.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I was at the Detours panel on the Friday afternoon this was broke, and Seth Green had a bunch of funny stories about GL calling them into his office saying "everyone els has done funny StarWars now i want in!!" Also at the Clone Wars panel when Lucas came out (Amazing!! but dont get me started) Dave was mentioning GL wanting to do this as far back as when the planning for the Clone Wars began.

In my personal oppinon I think it's pretty funny and it gives the Clone Wars a chance to go down a darker path now that this and the new "Young jedi" stuff coming out can take a little burden of appealing to the kids.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1