Faith
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm an atheist, but I really like the Book of revelations. From what little I've read from my fathers bible books. http://bible.cc/revelation/6-8.htm.

Didn't know there were so many iterpertions of this thing. No wonder you guys have Bible lessons.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hogy wrote:
I'm an atheist, but I really like the Book of revelations.

I'm a Christian and my favorite book is revelations. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Everyone likes Revelations. Razz

It isn't on my top list, but the ending is great. "And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away." (Rev. 21:4)

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Haha, Revelation is pretty cool. Trouble is I always have to separate it from Harold Camping, picket signs etc. before I can properly enjoy it.

Yeah, I have to as well... Confused

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

That reminds me of the time I picked up a copy of The Message at a bookstore. They replaced the "amen" at the very end of Revelation with "oh yeah!". Shocked

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
That reminds me of the time I picked up a copy of The Message at a bookstore. They replaced the "amen" at the very end of Revelation with "oh yeah!". Shocked

My expression exactly Padme. That's just weird and wrong but I guess it still transfers the same message... sort of. Confused

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'm a firm believer that the universe obeys natural laws, but that those laws were ordained by a Creator (namely God, as understood by left/centre Christian groups; I'm a Church of England Anglican and my wife is United, so we mostly agree on things).

It's the rare balance than many vocal groups in the newsmedia never seem to grasp. You can believe in evolution and in God at the same time. What you can't believe simultaneously is evolution and a literal interpretation of the Bible in its entirety.

So yes. Science, and interpretation of the bible (a belief that some of it is symbolic, some of it is wrong, and some of it may be absent or can be extrapolated, e.g. I believe Jesus's Love Thy Neighbour... and Do Unto Others... outweigh some intolerant beliefs found in the Old Testament).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I think it's no surprise that I like none of them Razz .
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:13 am Reply with quote  

What's your favorite Pagan book, Life? Cool

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
I'm a firm believer that the universe obeys natural laws, but that those laws were ordained by a Creator (namely God, as understood by left/centre Christian groups; I'm a Church of England Anglican and my wife is United, so we mostly agree on things).

It's the rare balance than many vocal groups in the newsmedia never seem to grasp. You can believe in evolution and in God at the same time. What you can't believe simultaneously is evolution and a literal interpretation of the Bible in its entirety.

So yes. Science, and interpretation of the bible (a belief that some of it is symbolic, some of it is wrong, and some of it may be absent or can be extrapolated, e.g. I believe Jesus's Love Thy Neighbour... and Do Unto Others... outweigh some intolerant beliefs found in the Old Testament).

I feel like creation vs. evolution debates are missing the point. The people who wrote the Bible weren't empirical evidence Nazis like we are and had a better understanding of myth and symbolism. I've had a couple Christians object to me using the word "myth" when talking about the Bible, but I think that just shows how ignorant us moderns are on the subject. It's either literal and true or mythical and useless. When we use the word "myth" we generally use it in the "10 Myths About Dieting" sense and not in the full sense our ancestors gave it. A myth is not a quaint story explaining scientific phenomena that people told when they were ignorant and unenlightened. The Bible is for learning about God not learning a science lesson.

Anyway (notice how this subject always comes up Razz )...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Last edited by Reepicheep on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
The Bible is for learning about God not learning a science lesson.

I like the way you think Reep! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Darth Skuldren wrote:
What's your favorite Pagan book, Life? Cool

I don't have one. And that's a bit of a misnomer. There are pagan stories, and philosophical books written by pagans, but there's no how-to book on how to be a good pagan. That's something I've never really liked about Christianity. Well, there may be some modern self-help books out there, but that's kind of cheating Razz .

EDIT: How about Aesop's Fables? Razz
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote  

Wonder if Aesop's Fables is available as an eBook on Amazon. If so, I'll check it out.

Edit: yep, it's on Amazon. Free, too. Now I'll have to give it a read.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Besides the Bible, what books have influenced your beliefs the most?

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote  

Honestly, I think I've been more influenced by people than books. That's a tough one, though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 23 of 27