Anti Western Protests in Middle East
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should America Pull Out of Middle East?
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
No
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Not Sure
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Anti Western Protests in Middle East
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think the events of the last few days in Liyba, Egypt, Yemen, and elsewhere have proved that they don't take kindly to Americans butting into their business. Why do we have to act like the world police?!! I agree we need to maintain some kind of prensence there, but this is overkill.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

What does having Embassies in these countries have to do with policing them?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Having embassies is just a normal thing. We have tons of embassies here in our own country and we aren't near the only ones with embassies in those countries. They're attacking our embassies yes, but they aren't the ones causing the issues the people are mad about. Its a hive mind idea that a country is responsible for the actions of few.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

That goes both ways. People in this country think that all Muslims are violent just because of the radicals, and Middle-Easterners think we're all a bunch of God-less sodomites who take land for oil. All of it is nonsense.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

-

The title states "anti-western protests," but that is an extreme understatement, to say the least. Our ambassador and embassy employees were brutally killed. That is not a protest, that is murder.

Relevant cartoon

-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Agreed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mad Wook wrote:
People in this country think that all Muslims are violent just because of the radicals. Middle-Easterners think we're all a bunch of God-less sodomites who take land for oil. All of it is nonsense.

I had the chance to visit Turkey this summer for about a month, and it was really eye opening. Turkey is predominantly Muslim, but so many people don't understand what that really means. In the United States we tend to separate people from beliefs - people get to decide what ideologies to believe and pick and chose between them, almost matching our consumer like mentality. When someone goes crazy, we are quick to apologize for the ideological group they are from, labeling them as some fringe lunatic.

However in Turkey and many of the neighboring countries, you do not choose your religion, you are born into it. Every Muslim Turk I asked, were only Muslim in the same sense that some people in the United States call themselves "Christian." That is, they go to a Mosque only on special occasions, and by and large they almost seem agnostic in their day to day life. Basically, Muslims have their own version of the "cultural" Christian.

The group I was traveling with was assumed to be Christian, regardless of the fact it was not true. It was extremely difficult for the Turks to understand that the United States was different, that we were not born into a religion, so to speak. Since the United States is considered Christian, the Turks also assume that every piece of garbage that comes out of Hollywood, every news article, every government policy, etc. is also somehow part of Christendom trying to influence the world.

So you add that in with the history between Christians and Muslims, and you can start to see the disdain for the United States. To them it is just another Christian crusader country trying to oppress all of the Muslims, even though that could not be farther from the truth.

-

Re: Anti Western Protests in Middle East
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I think I'm sick of being Westerners. Ummm look far enough to YOUR EAST.... Yep there I am on Americas West Coast.... TO YOUR EAST!

Laughing

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Islam is one of those frustrating topics, because there's so much bs out there about it (e.g. "Muslims want prayer rooms in our schools! They're trying to undermine our government!" or "Islam is all about peace. Muhammad wouldn't hurt a fly!"). Rolling Eyes

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Should Google remove the anti-Islam video that's causing all the protests?

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:

There are two things wrong with this. First off, its horrifying that some Americans are advocating we apologize to murdering psychopaths because, God forbid, a citizen was exercising their right to free speech! If we can't defend our most basic liberties, then don't cry when they get taken away.

On the other hand, the video is completely irrelevant. It is naive to think that Americans are getting attacked by our enemies because some random no-name citizen made a corny B-movie that included Islam. If that were the case, I could find you a thousand far more serious insults to the prophet Mohammed that come out of America. But alas, everyone needs an easy scapegoat.

-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote  

Autobon wrote:

On the other hand, the video is completely irrelevant. It is naive to think that Americans are getting attacked by our enemies because some random no-name citizen made a corny B-movie that included Islam. If that were the case, I could find you a thousand far more serious insults to the prophet Mohammed that come out of America. But alas, everyone needs an easy scapegoat.

Just to be devil's advocate: do you (general you, the question is open to all) think Google would leave the video up and we would even be having this sort of debate if the religion that was the subject of the video was Judaism (for example)?

To be clear I'm not taking a shot at Jews, what I mean to ask is is there a double standard and we wouldn't even enter into a debate over whether tolerate such a thing if the religion being portrayed wasn't Islam.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Salaris Vorn wrote:
Just to be devil's advocate: do you think Google would leave the video up and we would even be having this sort of debate if the religion that was the subject of the video was Judaism (for example)?

Yes, I think Google would leave a video up. A simple search surfaces lots of videos on YouTube that make fun of other religions or otherwise try to convince the viewer against a certain point of view. It is certainly YouTube's right to single out and remove a video poking fun at Islam, of course, but it would be quite hypocritical I think.

Why is this an issue anyways? Why is it that so many adherents to Islam call for the murder of others (and often carry it out) for drawing harmless comics or producing cheesy, short videos that no one else even knew existed? Furthermore, they murder people for just being a citizen of the same country as the offender.

-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:

No. We shouldn't compromise our freedom of speech because some people can't handle it.

I'm not by any means defending the content of the video. I think it's a despicable, hateful piece of racist bigotry. But anyone should be allowed to speak their opinion, and that opinion should be open to feedback from others.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:

I've seen many videos on YouTube and elsewhere that ridicule Christianity. It ticks me off, but I wouldn't dream of killing someone over them. So no, I don't think the pressure is on Google to remove the video, it's on people who can't control their emotions.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 1 of 2