Quote or Question for the Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

'Boo!'
'Aah! Ahem. Back in a minute. I need to go to the bathroom. You didn't scare the **** out of me, but you certainly helped it along.'
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote  

Quote of the Day: "Theres room for all of God's creatures...Right next to the mashed potatoes."

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

"If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?"

*snickers* Very Happy

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote  

Life Is The Path wrote:
'Boo!'
'Aah! Ahem. Back in a minute. I need to go to the bathroom. You didn't scare the **** out of me, but you certainly helped it along.'

this just happens to put a new spin on the punch line to your location information Life. I can't quite read it the same way anymore. Laughing

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
"If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?"

*snickers* Very Happy

Shocked Brain cannot reconcile this paradox and is now experiencing it's own blue screen of death.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Fear cannot stand up to logic, yet logic flees before fear. And rock beats fear.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Life Is The Path wrote:
Fear cannot stand up to logic, yet logic flees before fear. And rock beats fear.

Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and, as always, rock crushes scissors.

Sorry. Had to.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:

Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and, as always, rock crushes scissors.

Sorry. Had to.

I have the chart for that on a T-shirt Smile
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:34 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

All art is quite useless.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Proudfoot wrote:

Thrawn and myself disagree.

If you don't like art, well think about it this way. Even a bad painting can burn nicely and keeps you warm, you can use a small statue as a hammer, bad music to scare away predators,..... Razz

Not useless at all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Proudfoot wrote:

Movies, music, books, comics, these are all art forms. Anything done for entertainment purposes is done in an art form, whether it is deserving of the word or not. So you can't enjoy a movie or a song or a book while still thinking art is useless because it is just someone creating something. You may not enjoy paintings or drawings, but others do. Some don't enjoy movies, but others do. It just depends on the person but all people love at least some form of art.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

This entire forum wouldn't exist without art. That's what Star Wars is.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote  

Hogy wrote:
Proudfoot wrote:

Thrawn and myself disagree.

this. Putting my Indy Fedora on art in one form or another is one of the primary ways we identify cultures and understand how past groups understood or related to the world they lived in. That's not just for the old mummies and guys that died 5,000 years ago, it also applies to our immediate ancestors from the 19th century or even earlier. Take your favorite coffee mug for example, the glazed pattern or even the physical way the clay was molded is art and will give an archaeologist of the future a glimpse into our lives and tell them a bit about our culture. (Remember even a mass produced ceramic coffee mug had to have a photographer or artist design the original image).

Or think about how you know what group you want to/don't want to hang out based on whether they are wearing something like the a t-shirt with the artwork/logo of your favorite band. We actually use art on everyday objects to asert membership in a group or just to say something about our individual identity.

It doesn't have to be a great work of art to say something about a culture or the past. Unless we want to get all stuffy and say unless it is worthy of being displayed next to a piece by Da Vinci it isn't art. But that would be a whole other ball game.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:51 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Whoa, lots of response.

"All art is quite useless" is a quote from Oscar Wilde. Who in my opinion is one of the greatest artists who ever lived.

It is supposed to be tongue in cheek. Razz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I never really understood the expression "tongue in cheek." I mean, I know what it means, but try saying something with your tongue in your cheek. You can't. Not well anyways.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:34 am Reply with quote  

Well thanks to Taral, I looked up the origin of that saying. The origin is that people would stick their tongue into their cheek as an expression of contempt. Has nothing to do with talking while poking your cheek with your tongue Razz

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 21 of 27