Anti Western Protests in Middle East
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should America Pull Out of Middle East?
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
No
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Not Sure
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Dancelittleewok wrote:
Should Google remove the anti-Islam video that's causing all the protests?

I've seen many videos on YouTube and elsewhere that ridicule Christianity. It ticks me off, but I wouldn't dream of killing someone over them. So no, I don't think the pressure is on Google to remove the video, it's on people who can't control their emotions.

Extremist Muslim belief demands physical retribution to blasphemy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I haven't actually seen this video, but from what I've heard, it's more than just mocking Muhammed and Islam, it's a gross misinterpretion of the entire religion. While I do think that the rioters have overreacted, I also think that at some point, freedom of speech needs to be limited. That along with the freedom to speak, there is a responsibility to be honest and accurate.

I also don't think that the US should pull out of the Middle East. The rioters were not attacking military bases, they were attacking embassies - not our military presence, but our diplomatic presence.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@GrandMaster: I defend freedom of speech, but I get annoyed by "artists" who push it just to see how far they can stretch freedom of speech. I haven't actually seen the video btw.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Didn't like that violence broke out because of Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ then, don't like the violence now (haven't seen this one).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote  

GrandMaster wrote:
While I do think that the rioters have overreacted, I also think that at some point, freedom of speech needs to be limited. That along with the freedom to speak, there is a responsibility to be honest and accurate.

We do have the precident of free speech not protecting someone who yells fire in a crowded theater. I think we would improve things overall if we began examining and considering drawing a similar line with videos and other media.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Salaris Vorn wrote:
GrandMaster wrote:
While I do think that the rioters have overreacted, I also think that at some point, freedom of speech needs to be limited. That along with the freedom to speak, there is a responsibility to be honest and accurate.

We do have the precident of free speech not protecting someone who yells fire in a crowded theater. I think we would improve things overall if we began examining and considering drawing a similar line with videos and other media.

Now this sounds well and good, and in a better world would probably work, but I think it's unreasonable in our world. It may help a few things, but eventually it would be abused. Look at our history, even some of the good things that happened were abuses of power. The Lousiana purchase for instance. In the constitution the President has powers that are "necessary and proper" to carry out his job. Well he used this to spend millions of dollars without getting Congress approval. I think the same thing would happen with this type of law. Eventually it would be used beyond what it was meant to be, even if it was for a good clause. And once that happens, we're on a slippery slope.

O and on the video, I don't care if the President of the United States cam out and said all Muslims need to die, that doesn't excuse murdering innocent people.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Salaris Vorn wrote:

Certainly free speech does not protect advocating violence, breaking laws by disturbing patrons on private property, etc. Apart from being one of the lamest things I have ever had the displeasure of watching, I do not believe the movie crossed the line to the point where it should be banned or deleted.

On a seperate note, I find it insulting that the Obama administration keeps trying to sell us on the story that the Libya attack was just a moment of spontaneous anger. Despite the Obama administration lying about Libya and using this movie as a scapegoat, they were warned multiple times ahead of the incident that there would be an attack.

Intelligence experts said the attack was "too coordinated or professional to be spontaneous." [One of many articles]

-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Today France announced it will close 20 embassies after a newspaper ran a cartoon on Muhammad.

http://www.france24.com/en/20120919-naked-mohammed-cartoons-fuel-muslim-outcry-france-charlie-hebdo-french-paper

-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 2 of 2