The Meaning of Titles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Meaning of Titles
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was just thinking the other day about the titles for LOTF and FOTJ. Since they are only one word each, that one word has to represent the entire novel. I was wondering what other people thought each title in LOTF and FOTJ meant.

I'll post my ideas a little later, so as not to prejudge anyone else.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I like long titles, they can be very poetic/descriptive. But I also liked the whole one word title thing. They were crisp, they were clean, they could carry so much implication. And that's just it, they were completely up to the reader's interpretation. Nice thread idea. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Titles refer to words, usually a noun, used to distinguish the different representations of each book. herm.

but srsly flks, I agree with MJ. I don't think that they are always meant to symbolize an actual event in the narrative and sometimes are just chosen for no good reason other than to have something to call the book, picked out before the story was even written.

Enough with the killjoy. It's a fun thread idea and I'd be happy to throw out interpretations. I don't have the titles memorized, so maybe it would be a good place to start by just posting the list.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
so maybe it would be a good place to start by just posting the list.

LOTF
Betrayal, Bloodlines, Tempest, Exile, Sacrifice, Inferno, Fury, Revelation, Invincible

FOTJ
Outcast, Omen, Abyss, Backlash, Allies, Vortex, Conviction, Ascension, Apocalypse

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My take on it (obviously not complete; this is my take on what I read from it). Spoilers herein.

Betrayal: Jacen decides to betray the Jedi and learn the ways of the Sith
Bloodlines: Boba Fett learns of his daughter (killed by Jacen in the book), his granddaughter, the possibility of other clones of his father, etc.
Tempest: Numerous sources of evil are revealed; a lot of fights; chaos from the death of the World Brain
Exile: Han and Leia are personae non gratae in the Galactic Alliance; Jagged Fel shows up, having been exiled from the Chiss Ascendancy
Sacrifice: Jacen completes the required sacrifice to become Sith, killing Mara and losing the love of his cousin
Inferno: The aftermath of the death of Mara; also refers to the fires Jacen sets on Kashyyyk
Fury: Alema Rar, in all her craziness, his hunted down and killed
Revelation: Jaina realizes how evil her brother is; Ben confirms that Jacen killed Mara
Invincible: Jaina, having learned under Boba Fett, is an invincible Sith-killer

Outcast: Luke is cast out of the Galactic Alliance; also refers to Abeloth, who has been exiled for centuries (the events of the Han/Leia subplot lead to her return)
Omen: We learn about the crashed ship Omen and the Lost Tribe of the Sith; their arrival is also a bad omen for things to come
Abyss: Arrival of Abeloth, the darkest of them all; also refers to the Abyss Luke enters with the Mind Drinkers
Backlash: The aftermath of the Sith releasing Abeloth, and Vestara's capture
Allies: Luke must ally with the Sith to hunt Abeloth
Vortex: Another storm metaphor; the alliance between the Jedi and Sith comes to a head
Conviction: Refers to the deposition of Daala, and the imprisonment of Tahiri
Ascension: Abeloth ascends to power, taking over the GA; the Sith infiltrate the GA
Apocalypse: The end of everything; a terrible conflict where Abeloth is incapacitated and hundreds of Jedi and Sith die; the Killiks genuinely believe the return of Abeloth signifies the end of days

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I like the idea of one word titles because they're simple and easy to remember, but I find that they tend to be used lazily.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Here are my thoughts (BEWARE SPOILERS)

Betrayal: Jacen begins his path to the dark side, kills Nelani Dinn
Bloodlines: Boba Fett meets his granddaughter, deals with his family; the Skywalker-Solo brood is in conflict
Tempest: This one seemed less literal, more of a metaphorical storm building up
Exile: Leia and Han are in exile after Jacen tries to arrest/kill them
Sacrifice: Jacen sacrifices his family's love through Mara's death
Inferno: Kashyyyk aflame
Fury: Ben's anger over Mara's death
Revelation: Jacen revealed as a Sith Lord; Allana revealed as Jacen's daughter
Invincible: Jacen discovers that he is not invincible (this one is again more metaphorical)

Outcast: Luke is an outcast and begins his journey
Omen: The Sith ship Omen and the omen the Lost Tribe represents, maybe the arrival of Ship on Kesh?
Abyss: The journey beyond shadows, abyss of the soul/mind (somewhat metaphorical
Backlash: Somewhat of a backlash against Daala's policies (Jedi defeat the Mandalorian attack)
Allies: Jedi and Sith ally together
Vortex: Again metaphorical (Denning seems to have a lot of these), everything is getting mixed up, Jedi fighting Jedi (Saba and Kenth), the Jedi/Sith alliance falls apart
Conviction: Tahiri is convicted of murder; also people having firm convictions
Ascension: Abeloth "ascends" to the Chief of State post
Apocalypse: In the world-ending sense, mass destruction on Coruscant, a new world created without Abeloth; in the relevatory sense, Luke learns about the One Sith (kinda)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Don't forget that in 'Betrayal', Wedge is effectively betrayed by the GA when they take him to Coruscant under false pretences, and attempt to hold him against his will.

Later, Wedge and family become exiles from Corellia, in 'Exile'.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

So this is kinda related to current thread. Has anyone ever heard or read a one word title, but been completely off? Like you had a totally different idea on what the title meant, or what the plot of the book would be?

“Only a master of evil, Darth.”

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Crosscurrent, anyone?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
Crosscurrent, anyone?

Multiple groups all pulled (by a current) to cross paths? Smile And then Riptide just continued the trend of water-based naming. Third one will be Undertow Razz

Omen was originally to be called Enigma. I'm glad they changed it.

Traitor. If anything, the story is about redemption (Vergere, Ganner Rhysode, etc.) Now, of course, one must betray something to be able to be redeemed for it, and arguably cases like Nom Anor (who I think started his path as the Prophet for the Shamed Ones in this book) and Vergere betrayed the Yuuzhan Vong, but I think those elements are secondary to the larger message of redemption.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:26 am Reply with quote  

Crosscurrent is easy, Sith and Jedi from past crossing with the current of the future as well as future Sith and Jedi.

riptide: a stretch of turbulent water in the sea, caused by the meeting of currents or abrupt changes in depth

Riptide can of appeals on several levels. On the surface, there's the messed up Force clones running into Jaden and the One Sith and even Rakatan leftovers. Beyond the surface, the book certainly had some depth to it as the complexity level was ratcheted up with gray characters and the clone plot.

Edit: Taral beat me Sad

I think Maelstrom would be a nice water title. Wink

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1