Star Wars: The Essential Reader's Companion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote  

Thanks for posting that Mad Wook. I really wasn't looking forward to a LOTF re-read.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Wookieepedia can be a valuable tool. I haven't had time for a reread in years. As a matter of fact, I've had LTOTS since Friday and haven't read 2 words.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The readers companion does not contain comic books. We already have a guide for that. This one is for adult and junior novels, and short stories.

It fits a niche of establishing once and for all which older written works are C-canon, and if the Comics Companion is any indication, how they fit toghether. For that reason it is the single most anticipated work of SW in years, for my part.

Last edited by DarthMRN on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm thinking it will probably touch upon comics very briefly, if only to show that certain major story elements are featured in comics (e.g. Dark Empire, Crimson Empire, older Clone Wars material). But yes, it will be focussed on novels.

I imagine that it will also assist in properly placing TCW, since there were the five TCW novels, one of which is a movie adaptation, another (Wild Space) is literally concurrent with two episodes, and others (Gambit: Stealth and Gambit: Siege) have rather specific limitations to their placement.

This gives me hope that a date will be given for the TCW movie, so Wookieepedia can finally abandon that stupid "21 BBY for the entire series" crap that it got from a random UK-based Star Wars Annual book that hasn't been corroborated at all anywhere else.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote  

Del Rey posted some images from The Essential Reader's Companion (they're the ones in the background). I think these were done by artist Brian Rood.

More awesomeness!

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's a LOT of new art, and it looks EXCELLENT!

Definitely looking forward to this book a lot more now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I thought the middle one was Hermoine Laughing .
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:

That's exactly what I thought, and I think the Jedi on the right (Tahiri?) looks a lot like Blake Lively.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:

That's exactly what I thought, and I think the Jedi on the right (Tahiri?) looks a lot like Blake Lively.

Its definitely Tahiri, looks very much like most of the recent art for her. This one does have some hints of Blake Lively though, I agree.

Not seeing the Hermoine thing though. I hope we actually GET all this artwork included in the book, and its not cut.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote  

Could the middle one be Allana? Nah, probably not. I don't think she's ever worn Jedi robes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Could the middle one be Allana? Nah, probably not. I don't think she's ever worn Jedi robes.

It looks a little too old to be Allana. Isn't she only 8 or something like that?

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

If you're looking forward to The Essential Reader's Companion, keep your eyes on EUCantina's front page next week!

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:56 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

DarthMRN wrote:
The readers companion does not contain comic books. We already have a guide for that. This one if for adult and junior novels, and short stories.

It fits a niche of establishing once and for all which older written works are C-canon, and if the Comics Companion is any indication, how they fit toghether. For that reason it is the single most anticipated work of SW in years, for my part.

What is this book called? I had heard about it but couldn't find anything about it on the web.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

In case you missed it, here's a preview of The Essential Reader's Companion from Del Rey: http://www.eucantina.net/archives/14028

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I cant wait for this book! It will be nice to see what I consider some if the best moments in StarWars come to life with illustrations.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 7