Swearing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Ive read "son of a Sithspwan" a few times in the EU or variations off....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

It think it's inevitable that there will be some form of swearing. they're can't be a universe full of trillions of people with no offensive words in existance and not a single person using them haha. I'm glad thought that they don't use our swear words for the most part.

But also remember that the words are only as bad as we make them. the S word in our world is only bad because we have made it so; it could be that that word is acceptable but poop is considered a swear word because that is what we have been taught and grew up with.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote  

I think it depends on what EU book is being looked at. It seemed that in the X-Wing series they tried to avoid swearing and pioneered things like Sithspit. Which I find ok but realistically I think people would go for a shorter word/phrase to express anger (plus that would be kinda hard to shout quickly). I appreciated that they were at least trying to be original in those books but to me it just didn't seem like something that would flow naturally as an expression of anger/frustration.

I do like more recent works such as the Republic Commando books that were being a bit more inventive by introducing swear words from other EU languages. I particularly like the Mando'a expressions such as chakaar that came as a result.

I'm not sure if they use it in SW too but the best replacement I heard for an f-bomb is Frak (Frakk) from Battlestar Galactica.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Salaris: With Sithspit I think its more of a combination word since Sith itself has many negative connotations to it. Thing about the 'eff' word. Adding 'mother' and 'er' to either side of it makes a new word, but its really long. Its just about additions.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Salaris Vorn wrote:
I'm not sure if they use it in SW too but the best replacement I heard for an f-bomb is Frak (Frakk) from Battlestar Galactica.

They have the expression "kriff" or "kriffing" in the EU. That word is the same in use as our F-word.
There is also the expression "kark" which is used just the same way.

And of course "poodoo" is the ultimate cool replacement for the S-word. Laughing

@DannikJerriko
I myself like the use of words like these if it stay reasonable.
Swearing is just something people do and not having anyone using a curse word ever wouldn't be very realistic.
That they use other words than our curses already makes it more acceptible as it makes you replace the fictional word with a real life one, just as it would if they would have said "he cursed out loudly".
If this is already to much for some younger readers I think the're still not ready to quit the young reader books Wink
And I don't really think the curses sound that silly either. Not more silly than most of the words we have come to use as curses in real life.
Yelling about poop or procreation when you hurt your toe is also rather silly when you think about it.

"You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

http://www.reedius.deviantart.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote  

First off, let me say that this was a really great idea for a thread. In order to really dig in to some Star Wars cuss words, we would be amiss to neglect Abel G. Pena's list:

http://blogs.starwars.com/abelgpena/5

Now I'm of two minds on Star Was swear words. First off, I've read so many Star Wars books at this point that the language is familiar to me. Star Wars without their made up cuss words just wouldn't feel the same. I actually like the word kriff now and will occasionally use it when I need a soft expletive. And most sci-fi shows make up cuss words and all of them are pretty silly. Frak is still a goofy sci-fi cuss word. It sounds like something a little kid would say. It goes right along with gosh, darn, and heck. They just don't have any bite.

And bite is definitely the crux of the matter. Cuss words are words that have impact. You drop the F word and it has meaning. Especially if your someone who hardly ever cusses. That word all the sudden has ten fold the meaning and impact. Cuss words have the extremely useful function of providing impact to dialog. They deliver a sound that can tear someone apart emotionally or truly touch upon their rage. A vocabulary that does not have cuss words is one that has less range.

So on one hand, I wouldn't want Star Wars to drop words like Sithspit, fierfek, shabla, and kriff. Yet by excluding cuss words, the authors are limited in the emotion they can express. I don't think it's the sort of handicap that's crippling though. It's just more of a challenge for them. Yet the softness of the made up sci-fi cuss words means that they can't really be used in the same way. In-universe they work, but out of universe it just hits the reader in a slightly comical fashion. It's something the writers have to keep in mind.

So yeah, the words are goofy...but I do like them in a way.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Quote:
Yelling about poop or procreation when you hurt your toe is also rather silly when you think about it.

To speak of real life swearing: To swear while in a large amount of pain actually decreases the amount you feel. Unless you already swear a large amount, in which case that act would have very little impact whatsoever.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:08 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The Mandalorians have a lot of swear words in their native tongue as do the Hutts. Ive never found any of it out of place to be honest. Emotions run high in these stories and if there were never these words used in would make the universe a bit more unrealistic.

I like the idea of swear words being used which are native to the galaxy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:41 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I am with FateotJediFreak. They can't have a whole universe without some swearing, and I'm fine with it, as long as they know where to draw the line. I also like the idea of fake swear words, because as many of you have said, it's empty. As for the real words like hell, which is barely a swear word, they just have to know when to stop. It would be really bad if the people were swearing the whole time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

darthrevan1 wrote:
The Mandalorians have a lot of swear words in their native tongue as do the Hutts. Ive never found any of it out of place to be honest. Emotions run high in these stories and if there were never these words used in would make the universe a bit more unrealistic.

I like the idea of swear words being used which are native to the galaxy.

Exactly.

Words like poodoo and kark aren't even SW/GFFA slang words for me anymore. It's just Huttese words for **** and ****. No diferent than (insert a random language here) words for them would be.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:24 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

My favourite is fitch from the Ewok adventures.

Watch the first couple of scenes from Caravan of Courage. The Ewok day says it several times as a reaction to his children's misbehaviour.

"Ahh Fitch!"

Ewoks swearing = priceless.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 2 of 2