ROTS vs. TPM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which movie do you like better?
The Phantom Menace
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Revenge of the Sith
88%
 88%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 25

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:30 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I think it would be cool if they had just left Anakin to die at the end and not shown Palpatine coming to his rescue.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Proudfoot wrote:
I think it would be cool if they had just left Anakin to die at the end and not shown Palpatine coming to his rescue.

Now that my friend is a good statement and I am behind you on this 100%.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
That's a good question. I think from a film standpoint it would have been best not to show Anakin as Darth Vader in the PT. I don't know how that could have been done, but I guess to have left off when Obi Wan left Anakin on lavaworld, and then if you do show Vader have it be a cut ahead of time where those who don't know are left wondering who he is and maybe make it vague as to whether he is Anakin or not.

The problem is that we who saw the originals first, which is most of the people watching the movies at least when they came out, know that Anakin is Vader and so the mystery would have been kind of confusing, and from a fan perspective seeing Vader at the end of ROTS is one of the best moments in the PT.

The thing is that the prequels are really kind of meant to fill in the blanks of what we already know from the OT, not to be a series of movies watched in their chronological order, even if that was the intention. I've heard a discussion o0f the best order to view the movies for a first time watcher, and it was recommended to watch Ep. IV and V, and then watch the PT before watching Ep. VI, so that it is like an extended flashback that parallels the story of the OT with Luke and Anakin. I think that is a pretty good idea, but I don't know how well it would work.

Yeah, Adywan (the Star Wars: Revisited guy) is apparently going to edit the prequels to the point where they could theoretically be watched in chronological order without spoiling the mystery of the OT. He'd have to cut out quite a bit of RotS, though.

However, I have no problem personally with the concept of the prequels (the execution could have been much better though). I think even if we had a prequel trilogy that surpassed the originals, that they should be watched in order of release,. It's an interesting idea to keep out Anakin's transformation to Vader, but I think it's an essential part of the story and should have been left in.

And I've heard about the "IV V I II II VI" order, but I still prefer release order. If you watch III before VI, it ruins the revelation that Leia is Luke's sister. Someone who hasn't seen the films would see Padme name the second twin "Leia" and think "WTF?!".

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Jedi Joe wrote:
If you watch III before VI, it ruins the revelation that Leia is Luke's sister. Someone who hasn't seen the films would see Padme name the second twin "Leia" and think "WTF?!".

I don't know, that may make for an interesting revelation at the end of III.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Mad Wook wrote:
Jedi Joe wrote:
If you watch III before VI, it ruins the revelation that Leia is Luke's sister. Someone who hasn't seen the films would see Padme name the second twin "Leia" and think "WTF?!".

I had never actually thought about this as I saw the OT before the prequels. On reflection though I do think it would be great if the secrets revealed in the OT (Anakin=Vader Leia=Sister) had not been spoiled, maybe Padme could have named Luke out loud and then whispered to Obi Wan with her last breath the name of the other child.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mad Wook wrote:

But then it being revealed in RotJ would be utterly pointless. Maybe if the films were re-edited it would be fine, but meh, I still prefer release order...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I agree they should be viewed in order of release if you've never seen them. Chronologically or the 4,5,1,2,3,6 orders for 2nd or 3rd viewings.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Well, I have a niece and nephew that would reach a good age for viewing them in a couple of years. Trouble is, I'd rather not sully their (imminent) love of Star Wars by showing them the prequels too soon Razz .
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Proudfoot wrote:
Mad Wook wrote:
Jedi Joe wrote:

I had never actually thought about this as I saw the OT before the prequels. On reflection though I do think it would be great if the secrets revealed in the OT (Anakin=Vader Leia=Sister) had not been spoiled, maybe Padme could have named Luke out loud and then whispered to Obi Wan with her last breath the name of the other child.

I think the revelation that Luke even has a twin sister will be shocking enough for the fans who didn't know! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:45 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

JainaSolo wrote:
Proudfoot wrote:
Mad Wook wrote:
Jedi Joe wrote:

I think the revelation that Luke even has a twin sister will be shocking enough for the fans who didn't know! Very Happy

True, and most people would guess it was Leia.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I was so young that I don't remember that "WHATTTTT" feeling when i found out Luke and Leia were twins, or Vader being his dad, but that must have been amazing, movies just don't keep secrets like that these days, with the Internet and all movies have lost their "big secret" moments.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Exactly! Even James Earl Jones said his thought when reading his lines for the first time was: "No...he's lying." Ha. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Location: Planet Spacoid, (if you look it up on facebook, you will find it)

Jedi Joe wrote:
I honestly almost lost it in the theater during the Order 66 sequence. It's just so depressing. Sad

Trust me, I know what you mean. I nearly go through the same thing every time I watch the movie, on DVD.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

JainaSolo wrote:
Proudfoot wrote:

Now that my friend is a good statement and I am behind you on this 100%.

I agree with every single person in the galaxy who would've done that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

JainaSolo wrote:
Proudfoot wrote:
Mad Wook wrote:
Jedi Joe wrote:

I agree with Jaina and not MadWook or Proudfoot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 3 of 4