Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 186, 187, 188  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Mad Wook wrote:
Revenge of the Fallen is the worst, hands down.

^This

We were debating about this afterwards. I thought that the second was the worst due to the irritating humour, but the overlong battle at the end of the third one was tortuous. I was squirming in my seat. In the end we decided that the third was slightly better than the second for the simple reason that it had Buzz Aldrin in it.

The first one was actually a good film, RotF was horrible, and DotM I thought was so-so. It was entertaining to see in theaters, no doubt, but in the same way a Disney World attraction is entertaining. You're not in it for the story or character development, you're in it for the ride.

But even saying that, I still consider Transformers a standalone film. Wink

This.

Also, the most redeeming thing about Dark of the Moon: Leonard Nimoy chastising Optimus for not understanding that "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

Me and one other guy in the theatre got the Star Trek reference and laughed so hard!

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So guys...Dredd is kinda amazing....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote  

@Proudfoot: I liked Lawless too. It was a really well done movie. Good story and good characters.

As for Dredd, I thought they did a great job on Dredd and the rookie cop, but at the expense of some weaker villains. What did you think of the villains, Caedus?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cadeus, what did you think of Punisher: War Zone?
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have no problem with fun, relatively brainless movies every now and again, but the Transformers movies were just painful imo.

Caedus_16 wrote:
So guys...Dredd is kinda amazing....

Seriously? I thought it looked really bad and was destined for the $5 bin at Wal-Mart. Confused

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

Multiple times more interesting than the awful Punisher film that came out first. I actually enjoyed it but its not one of my favorites. Dredd is actually a complete representation of the style I would like to see from a Punisher movie.

Reepicheep wrote:
Seriously? I thought it looked really bad and was destined for the $5 bin at Wal-Mart.

It was destined to flop because it was an obscure comic book character from Britain that stays behind the mask the whole time but its visually stunning and the character doesn't get time wasted with an origin story but rather just a great stand-alone film.

Darth Skuldren wrote:
What did you think of the villains, Caedus?

I enjoyed Ma-Ma. It was nice to have a villain that had nothing but evil about her. Right down to her green teeth she was pure awful and I dug it. That stupid guy they picked up was ok, nothing special, but he gave them easy avenues into the rookie. I loved that she wound up being the actual main character of the film because it gave us different insight into the villains.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
This.

Also, the most redeeming thing about Dark of the Moon: Leonard Nimoy chastising Optimus for not understanding that "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

Me and one other guy in the theatre got the Star Trek reference and laughed so hard!

Haha I remember that. I chuckled a bit and the friend I brought just kind of looked at me during that scene.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:52 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Looks like I'm going to have to buy Cube if I want to see it. The closest video rental that carries it is 45 minutes away. I'll actually be there on Monday, but will have no way to return it. Curse the death of brick and mortar video rentals. Evil or Very Mad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Jedi Joe wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:
Mad Wook wrote:
Revenge of the Fallen is the worst, hands down.

^This

We were debating about this afterwards. I thought that the second was the worst due to the irritating humour, but the overlong battle at the end of the third one was tortuous. I was squirming in my seat. In the end we decided that the third was slightly better than the second for the simple reason that it had Buzz Aldrin in it.

The first one was actually a good film, RotF was horrible, and DotM I thought was so-so. It was entertaining to see in theaters, no doubt, but in the same way a Disney World attraction is entertaining. You're not in it for the story or character development, you're in it for the ride.

But even saying that, I still consider Transformers a standalone film. Wink

This.

Yeah, I agree the first was a mostly good film, the second was mostly awful, and the third so-so. They all could have benefited from less LeBoof. He wore pretty thin, pretty fast for me. Really I think they relied too much on the human characters all together. I'm sure it was their way of connecting the viewers to the story, but I wanted to see Transformers, not relationship drama. Still can't figure out why the mom was mad at Bumblebee for saving them from the appliances. Just bad writing I guess. Anyway, the prequels should be set on Cybertron with no humans IMO. And based on Irvine's Exodus novel.

And I didn't notice anyone mentioning Avengers coming out on home video....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

Multiple times more interesting than the awful Punisher film that came out first.

Are you talking about The Punisher from way way back. The one with Dolph Lundgren, or the newer one from 2000+. Well I've watched all three and non were particularly good to me. Not awful, just not good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm talking about the latest one, with ray stevenson. I guess it's a reboot. The previous version came out a few years before and was just called The Punisher, starring Thomas Jane. Then of course is the original 80's version with good ol' Dolph.

The reason I asked is because I have a friend who really likes that movie and also really liked Dredd. I haven't seen Dredd yet, but knowing his taste in movies and comics I feel like a person's feelings on Punisher: War Zone will give an accurate correlation to how they feel about the Dredd movie.

Personally, I didn't like P:WZ, I preferred the Tom Jane version, so I take that to mean that I probably won't like the new Dredd.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I know you mean't P: War zone, DPW, I just didn't know which Punisher movie Caedus was talking about when he said "film that came out first".

I also liked the Tom Jane version a bit more than P:WZ. WZ was almost a "slasher" at times.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

As for Dredd. I haven't seen it, but I saw Judge Dredd starring Sly Stallone. That was a perfect example of a 90's action film. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

haha. Gotcha. Yeah the Sly one was maybe So Bad It's Good, depending on your persuasion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Finally picked up Cube. Hopefully going to watch it tonight.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Looper is the best film I've seen all year.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 136 of 188