Expanding the EU
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'd love to see a comic of Starfighters of Adumar. Lots and lots of images of my favourite pilots, plus the Fab Four in drag. And Janson duelling with a blastsword. And Wedge gambling his future on a kiss...

Yeah, I'd like to see SoA as a comic.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sorry, but I had to post this picture.

They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Corellias Dream wrote:
I'd love to see a comic of Starfighters of Adumar. Lots and lots of images of my favourite pilots, plus the Fab Four in drag. And Janson duelling with a blastsword. And Wedge gambling his future on a kiss...

Yeah, I'd like to see SoA as a comic.

I want to read another X-wing comic too. According to Wookieepedia, the last X-wing comic was published in 2005 excluding omnibuses. There's a huge gap between Solo Command and Mercy Kill that could be filled with Wraith adventures!

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Yeah, new X-wing comics would be good. Perhaps even a Next Generation comic, featuring Syal and/or Myri.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So I was on Twitter yesterday and started following Jennifer Heddle, the lead editor at Del Rey.

This was the tweet I saw:

"@Paulskemp Hondo makes me laugh a lot."

I see two possible interpretations:

1- The Untitled Paul S. Kemp duology is set during the Clone Wars, or in the early days of the Empire, and includes everyone's favourite pirate, Hondo Ohnaka.

2- The Untitled Paul S. Kemp duology is set later in the Legacy era, and includes everyone's favourite Legacy-era Mandalorian, Hondo Karr, thus possibly tying up loose ends with the Mandalorians in the Legacy comics

IR2, I'll bet you'd love it if it were the second one, eh?
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I to would love it if it was about Hondo Karr, but a Mandalorian on a vengeance quest usualy doesn't make people "laugh a lot." Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
So I was on Twitter yesterday and started following Jennifer Heddle, the lead editor at Del Rey.

This was the tweet I saw:

"@Paulskemp Hondo makes me laugh a lot."

I see two possible interpretations:

1- The Untitled Paul S. Kemp duology is set during the Clone Wars, or in the early days of the Empire, and includes everyone's favourite pirate, Hondo Ohnaka.

2- The Untitled Paul S. Kemp duology is set later in the Legacy era, and includes everyone's favourite Legacy-era Mandalorian, Hondo Karr, thus possibly tying up loose ends with the Mandalorians in the Legacy comics

IR2, I'll bet you'd love it if it were the second one, eh?

I'm guessing neither actually.

Every time that that duology is mentioned, its built up as something that's a truely massive undertaking with major implications.

Neither of those come close to describing that. Though I'm sure both would be well recieved, I doubt that that's what they've been keeping under wraps so long.

While I would be ok seeing books on either, I doubt hondo is going to get his own novel any time soon, and though finding an author to cover the mando's and tie up lose ends that were left when Traviss departed, both for FOTJ and IC, is a high priority, I would be very surprised if that warented a hardcover duology that has been kept under high secrecy for the better part of a year.

My personal suspicion for a long time was that it might follow the implications of the Jaden Korr duology with the One Sith slowly becoming more active behind the scenes. Their slow reveal would be enough to warrent a hardcover duology, but even that I wonder if they'd keep under wraps for this long.

So, I begin to suspect that this duology, whatever it may be, is set in a completely new timeline period that we haven't seen before. Their Clone Wars novels are complete, the bane-era novels are done, the TOR novels seem to be wrapping up at 4, so far there doesn't seem to be any future Knight Errant novale planned (and jjm would be the one to do those I suspect),. While its possible that it may be set during/shortly after the clone wars, I suspect Del Rey will hold off on anything further with that until the TCW show is done so that nothing else gets messed up. Similarly I doubt that its shortly post-FOTJ since they've already announced four other books that are going there.

That leaves it fitting in about 5 possible places:

1) a new point in the timeline before the movies (we've been expanding a lot of those eras lately so it fits in what seems to be the current direction). Given the "ambitious" description of the duology I would postulate: something detailing the birth of the republic itself, or from one of the early Schisms of the Jedi Order. (Perhaps the 100 year darkness? Especially since some of this was described in the Book of Sith?)

2) Inserted somewhere into the Bantum Era (like Scourge) - Possible, but I can't see that fittin the "ambitous" title very well. Though I would love to see a Kyle Katarn Duology eventually.

3) filling in the massive gaps post NJO (6 years from the NJO to DN, 4 years from DN to LOTF, 2 years between LOTF and FOTJ) - likely candidates include finally detailing Jacen's journey, describing the battles with the last vong holdouts, rebuilding of the jedi order (similar to JAT) - While this is possible, I again guess unlikely at this time, since it doesn't appear to be a priority for the editoral staff right now.

4) someting several years post FOTJ/pre-Legacy - no guesses on what you'd throw in here, but something I would perfer not to see so as to not tie down continity any further at ths point.

5) something during or post-Legacy.- If they insist on keeping this canon (and I'm still hoping that this turns out to be the vision of the future that Jacen was trying to prevent), then they may as well start fleshing this out. Though how "ambitious" this project would be is questionable.

To me, only option number 1 or 4 fits under the "ambitious" label that his planned duology keeps getting. So...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote  

Paul also has three kids and they watch The Clone Wars, so I'm betting his tweet didn't have anything to do with his duology.

That said, Paul has been calling this thing "ambitious" and I don't think he's embellishing. Whatever it is that he's working on, I think it will live up to that whole "ambitious" tagline.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Paul also has three kids and they watch The Clone Wars, so I'm betting his tweet didn't have anything to do with his duology.

Ah. Didn't know that part.

Mayhap it would've been a good idea to look at Kemp's tweets too, to see if he posted something about the show, eh? Razz
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote  

I was wondering if Paul's duology could be tied into the Republic Commando teasing, but then there's been rumors that could be Stover.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I was wondering if Paul's duology could be tied into the Republic Commando teasing, but then there's been rumors that could be Stover.

The only person who can match Karen Traviss' intensity is Matthew Stover. His novels are very existential, so I'm worried he'd turn being a clone into a religious experience.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:

Oh that's interesting. And would make a lot of sense.

Darth Skuldren wrote:

While I'd be happy to see that, it doesn't fit the "ambitious" description to me.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:12 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:

The only person who can match Karen Traviss' intensity is Matthew Stover. His novels are very existential, so I'm worried he'd turn being a clone into a religious experience.

You mean Traviss didn't already do that?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Werehunter wrote:
Dancelittleewok wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:

You mean Traviss didn't already do that?

Depends on your definition of religious experience.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Darth Skuldren wrote:

That said, Paul has been calling this thing "ambitious" and I don't think he's embellishing. Whatever it is that he's working on, I think it will live up to that whole "ambitious" tagline.

That was my guess too - that they were watching the new episode of TCW. (Haven't seen it, personally, so I don't know if Hondo said anything funny.)

On the RD forum, there was speculation that Kemp was setting his duology at the beginning of the New Sith Wars. I'm backing this idea.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 9 of 10