Star Wars Short Stories Library on Suvudu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Wars Short Stories Library on Suvudu
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I will definitely be printing all of the short stories (with the exception of Judge's Call) out at some point in the future. Very grateful these are being made available again. Any chance we might see more of the short stories archived on Suvudu in the future?

Re: Star Wars Short Stories Library on Suvudu
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
I will definitely be printing all of the short stories (with the exception of Judge's Call) out at some point in the future. Very grateful these are being made available again. Any chance we might see more of the short stories archived on Suvudu in the future?

link?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:36 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

http://star-wars.suvudu.com

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Awesome release, I missed a handful of these when they first ran! I hope they keep doing things like this

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote  

So far they've posted these:

Labor Pains by John Jackson Miller
Crossroads by Christopher Cerasi
Shades of Gray: from the Adventures of Alex Winger by Charlene Newcomb
The Old Republic: Smugglerís Vanguard by Rob Chestney
Precipice by Chris Cassidy
Lando Calrissian: Idiotís Array by Rich Handley
Fists of Ion by Ed Erdelac
Deader Than a Triton Moon by Jason Fry
Interference by John Jackson Miller
The Secret Journal of Doctor Demagol by John Jackson Miller
Knight Errant: Influx by John Jackson Miller
Essential Atlas Extra: The Knight Errant Gazetteer by Daniel Wallace, Jason Fry, and John Jackson Miller

Del Rey has mentioned that they would like to post more in the future and are open to suggestions. Link: https://www.facebook.com/starwarsbooks/posts/291599430954067

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My suggestion would be...all of them.

Especially since they've stopped inserting some of them into paperback reprints of hardcovers that they relate to. This bothers me significantly.

They really need to do something to get them in print IMHO.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth_Henning wrote:

Especially since they've stopped inserting some of them into paperback reprints of hardcovers that they relate to. This bothers me significantly.

NO.

Under no circumstances should they resume punishing those who pay $20.00 more per book. I buy hardcovers, I give them my money, I should not be then forced to pay an additional $7-10 for exclusive content.

I would, however, not object to resume publication of thematic short story collections.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Darth_Henning wrote:

NO.

Under no circumstances should they resume punishing those who pay $20.00 more per book. I buy hardcovers, I give them my money, I should not be then forced to pay an additional $7-10 for exclusive content.

I would, however, not object to resume publication of thematic short story collections.

If you choose to buy the hardcovers, that's a choice. Including exclusive content in the paperbacks isn't any form of 'punishment' IMHO.

So many people I know who buy the hardbacks comment how much they find the medium superior (not sure if that's why you like them, or if you have another reason). If that's the case, fine. But the paperback buyers should have the opportunity to get something in return for having to wait to get our hands on it.

Given that they seem to have lost interest in publishing short-story collections (LTOTS being an exception that may hopefully point to future changes), paperback reprints are the only real way to get those out there. Especially since a LOT of the short stories/e-books published relate directly to specific hardcover releases.

For example, The Teneubrius Way (sp?) was written to directly tie into Darth Plageus. Logically it should be included in the paperback to complete the story.

And as for commenting that you have to pay 7-10 more for "exclusive content" in the paperback, keep in mind that you'd have to pay 5-7 for the Insider in which the story was originally published if you wanted to get the story without buying the paperback.

If you're already buying the Insider, then you have the story anyway and you have no reason to care about whether its in the paperback or not. If you're not, you're paying the same or slightly more to get the short story bundled with the novel. You're paying extra either way.

Cutting out those reprints from the paperbacks is just punishing the paperback fans.

EDIT: also, I see you're a fellow Canuck. If you have a Chapters/Indigo membership, you can usually get the new hardcovers online for 35% off the cover price the day of release. So if you've been paying full coverprice, you're definitely overpaying. Just a heads up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Starting with your last point, I actually buy most of my hardcovers from Amazon.ca Smile

And I agree, since I buy the Insider stories, then I have no need for the paperback.

But my concern is based on including these previously-unprinted Hyperspace-exclusive stories in paperbacks. I never had a Hyperspace account. So something that went straight online was never an option for me.

Consider the two recent short story publications: Restraint and End Game. Both came in re-releases of Episode I and Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. Both were in paperback exclusives, and neither was published in a magazine or online. I already owned the hardcover of Episode I and a paperback copy of Shadow Hunter (for Saboteur). I had to rebuy both. Now, these were cool editions that tied into Episode I in 3D, but still. That's weak.

And consider many of the previous reprints. Sacrifice contained Boba Fett: A Practical Man. That wasn't published in a magazine that I would've bought. That was published online as an eBook years before eBooks were even a viable medium. Nowadays it's a little easier (a lot of people have either ebook readers like Kindles, Nooks, or Kobos, or have apps for their iOS or android device). But back then, the only way to easily get Boba Fett: A Practical Man was to shell out money for the paperback, even if you owned the hardcover.

I think the short story reprints should come in the hardcover though. Spending more money on a product should entitle someone to the bonus content. Or do exactly what Suvudu has done: short stories that were paid-online exclusives before should be free online (and then also reprinted in paperbacks; no matter, I already own the book).

OR: Put the fiction in direct-to-paperback books. There were relevant stories for Shadow Games and Riptide, and Suvudu has tie-in stories for Knight Errant. These are good options too.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1