The Politics Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This story is especially interesting given the fact that certain party officials tell us voter fraud could never, and has never happened. Does anyone actually believe that? - http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2012/10/10/caught_on_tape_obama_campaign_worker_helping_activist_vote_twice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Autobon wrote:
This story is especially interesting given the fact that certain party officials tell us voter fraud could never, and has never happened. Does anyone actually believe that? - http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2012/10/10/caught_on_tape_obama_campaign_worker_helping_activist_vote_twice

Actually, Democrats believe voter fraud does happen. It's just not as widespread as Republicans claim. Did you know that UFO sightings are more common than voter fraud? http://billmoyers.com/content/ufo-sightings-are-more-common-than-voter-fraud/

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Voter fraud is only counted if it's caught or reported. Or so I would assume, as I'm not sure how else that would work. And how often is it not caught? We can't measure that.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote  

Yet the courts seem to agree that this close to the election voter ID laws would have too great a risk of disenfranchising voters. It also seems like the Republicans have their own, less than pure, agenda behind the voter ID laws after the PA house majority leader Mike Turzai said that the new laws would allow Romeny to win PA.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I can't speak for the party, but my personal agenda is pure. In my Parish in Louisiana, we have always had to show our ID. I also work the elections, so I know the process. It would be nigh impossible for someone to cheat with our checks and balances. It just seriously baffles me that so many people throw a fit about having an ID. You have to have an ID to get a bank account, to drive, to do so many other things. Why is this considered so ridiculous?

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Salaris Vorn wrote:
It also seems like the Republicans have their own, less than pure, agenda

I'll accept that they probably do have their own agenda, but lets not kick each other in the head and admit that BOTH parties have their own, less than pure, agendas about every single thing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
I can't speak for the party, but my personal agenda is pure. In my Parish in Louisiana, we have always had to show our ID. I also work the elections, so I know the process. It would be nigh impossible for someone to cheat with our checks and balances. It just seriously baffles me that so many people throw a fit about having an ID. You have to have an ID to get a bank account, to drive, to do so many other things. Why is this considered so ridiculous?

Because it's unconstitutional. You cannot require someone to purchase anything in order to vote. Free voting is a right guaranteed by the constitution.

Driving, having a bank account etc are not constitutional rights. They're privileges.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

My point was simply that most people have some sort of ID already. But if you do not have to identify yourself in any way, what's to keep someone from voting twice? Or to keep non-citizens from voting?

If nothing else, we should employ the ink method of dying people's hands so they're marked for the day, ha. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:

Because it's unconstitutional. You cannot require someone to purchase anything in order to vote. Free voting is a right guaranteed by the constitution.

Driving, having a bank account etc are not constitutional rights. They're privileges.

And yet without identifications or proof of address what would be to stop someone from wandering from voting area to voting area tossing multiple votes in for candidates they want? The whole damned system is flawed and photo ID should be free if it is required.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
And yet without identifications or proof of address what would be to stop someone from wandering from voting area to voting area tossing multiple votes in for candidates they want? The whole damned system is flawed and photo ID should be free if it is required.

See, I think that's the simple fix. Just give the ID away. But it is too late for this election. Pushing that through at the last minute just smacks of election manipulation.

Also, idk about where you guys are, but I get this card in the mail (it's free) before an election that I have to show when I go to vote. I have to actually show up at the right polling place -- my name's on their list. If I'm at the wrong place for some reason, they send me to the right place. It's not like I can wander all over town voting at a hundred different places.

There is some check and balance in place here already.

Last edited by Cerrinea on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I believe it may be free in my state. One simply has to get their butt to the courthouse to get it made.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea we're in the same state so ya, its like that for me to. But a few years ago some of my friends (who thankfully wound up not voting) thought it would be funny to just give all the cards to one person and let them do all the voting. They didn't wanna take the time to do it themselves. And that one person would have suddenly had around 6 or 7 voices if not for the ID check.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, like Ron White says, you can't fix stupid. Besides, you always know which way Kansas is going to go so 6-7 votes isn't going to matter one way or the other. Not that I'm condoning what your friends tried to pull.

However, I'm kinda of saddened that someone thought so little of his freedom to vote that he'd just toss that right away.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

And yet I don't even know if half the country votes. It is sad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I actually don't toss it away, I withhold my vote. I refuse. I won't vote for either presidential candidate in the upcoming election. I think if more people who are dissatisfied with two-party system or at least the current options (and I know there are a lot of people who are) would withhold the system would be forced to change, or at least thrown into an uproar. So I encourage those who are unhappy with Obama/Romney or the Democratic/Republican party to withhold their vote.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 32 of 40