Star Wars: Crucible by Troy Denning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Leia's still got it.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:57 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Just to bad Carrie Fisher doesn't! Ooohhhhhhhhhh! She was kinda funny at least at the roast she was just on.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Carrie Fisher is hilarious. The woman makes me laugh.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote  

Another Crucible cover, this time with a Han tweak

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I like the new cover slightly better.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I like it, it takes a little bit of the "Damn kids get off my lawn" look that Han had when he was side profiled.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I like it. Side by side, the old cover Han's nose looks a little too long - like Pinocchio.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Darth_Henning wrote:
I can't say I'm surprised that people keep predicting that each book will be "the end of the big three". I remember speculation for that during the NJO, in Dark Nest, for LOTF and for FOTJ.

I doubt that its happening any time soon. Sue has made it clear for years that when that does happen, Lucas has to approve it. And I can't see him suddenly doing that right now. Also, when he does I think it will be dropped in a much bigger bombshell than a simple book anouncement at SDCC.
Also, keep in mind, for this to be released in spring, that Denning was probably already working on it long before it was announced, possibly before Apocalypse was released, so it has to be something that was forseeable when they were at that point. And logically that would tie it into the Mortis stuff he had to cram in.

So this makes sense to me both in and out of universe. Far more so than killing off the big 3 all of a sudden in a simple standalone.

That's where I'm placing my bets.

Denning has been doing his best to kill characters that don't belong to him, including fan favorites on split second decisions to make a big impact. He's not a brilliant writer, so to make a mark on the series, he's mutilating it. He has reshaped the star wars EU dramatically by killing off so many important characters, and destroying others. I mean, he turns Tahiri from a sweet, bubbly girl into a slutty junky who has sex with her dead boyfriend's brother who turned into a sith lord in what was almost a play for play re-enactment of Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side. She wasn't even his character to begin with, and neither was Anakin! Not saying that people shouldn't be using them, just that killing them or dramatically changing their character is a lot like stealing. If he writes another Star Wars book, he'll only destroy the EU further. He freaking killed Mara Jade! She wasn't only a fantastic character, but she also was great merchandise! She was a valuable character, more so than even Anakin or Tahiri.
Star Wars is supposed to be a space age fairy tale, not the miserable soap opera that Denning has turned it into. If someone doesn't start rebooting from before the Yuuzhan Vong invasion soon, I've got a bad feeling that Star Wars will never have another happy ending. Actually, I'm trying to do just that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Draconic wrote:
Darth_Henning wrote:
I can't say I'm surprised that people keep predicting that each book will be "the end of the big three". I remember speculation for that during the NJO, in Dark Nest, for LOTF and for FOTJ.

I doubt that its happening any time soon. Sue has made it clear for years that when that does happen, Lucas has to approve it. And I can't see him suddenly doing that right now. Also, when he does I think it will be dropped in a much bigger bombshell than a simple book anouncement at SDCC.
Also, keep in mind, for this to be released in spring, that Denning was probably already working on it long before it was announced, possibly before Apocalypse was released, so it has to be something that was forseeable when they were at that point. And logically that would tie it into the Mortis stuff he had to cram in.

So this makes sense to me both in and out of universe. Far more so than killing off the big 3 all of a sudden in a simple standalone.

That's where I'm placing my bets.

Denning has been doing his best to kill characters that don't belong to him, including fan favorites on split second decisions to make a big impact. He's not a brilliant writer, so to make a mark on the series, he's mutilating it. He has reshaped the star wars EU dramatically by killing off so many important characters, and destroying others. I mean, he turns Tahiri from a sweet, bubbly girl into a slutty junky who has sex with her dead boyfriend's brother who turned into a sith lord in what was almost a play for play re-enactment of Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side. She wasn't even his character to begin with, and neither was Anakin! Not saying that people shouldn't be using them, just that killing them or dramatically changing their character is a lot like stealing. If he writes another Star Wars book, he'll only destroy the EU further. He freaking killed Mara Jade! She wasn't only a fantastic character, but she also was great merchandise! She was a valuable character, more so than even Anakin or Tahiri.
Star Wars is supposed to be a space age fairy tale, not the miserable soap opera that Denning has turned it into. If someone doesn't start rebooting from before the Yuuzhan Vong invasion soon, I've got a bad feeling that Star Wars will never have another happy ending. Actually, I'm trying to do just that.

Uh...you know those decisions are made by the teams that set up the airlines, head editors and such right? Troy didn't want to kill Anakin Solo, he was ordered to.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

And there's one of the draw backs of serial fiction. It's easy to blame the writer for everything that happens in the books, but unless they discuss how it came about it's impossible to know whose idea a certain event was. I don't think it was Dennings wish to turn Tahiri into what she ended up in Legacy of the Force and I'm not sure if her and Jacen were sleeping together. It wouldn't make since based on the lure he was using to drag her into the darkside. Oh and Jacen's fall was nothing like Anakin's. Anakin fell because he was afraid of losing what he loved, while Jacen was more than willing to lose what he loved if it meant stopping the dark future he saw.

Oh and Mara Jade wasn't even killed in his book.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

And Mara's death turned out to be Aaron Allston's idea. Tahiri's 'fall' started in the NJO, after Denning's book. And, while I can't be entirely sure, I think Tahiri's propositioning Ben was in a Traviss book.

I'm not entirely sure the complaint 'they weren't the writer's characters!' is even a valid argument anyway, in such a series.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

http://www.randomhouse.com/book/7875/crucible-star-wars-by-troy-denning

New blurb

F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Luke92 wrote:

New blurb

There's a good chance what you mention in your spoiler tags is how they'll work in the new films...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Caedus_16 wrote:
Luke92 wrote:

New blurb

There's a good chance what you mention in your spoiler tags is how they'll work in the new films...

F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Caedus_16 wrote:
Luke92 wrote:

New blurb

This I my fear as well, just call them old please, don't have them start playin with time!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 8 of 12