Log in to check your private messages
Star Wars: Crucible by Troy Denning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Proudfoot
Knight
Knight

Joined: 14 Sep 2012
Posts: 254
Location: London

Leia's still got it.
_________________
On a clear day they'll see us from the beaches.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:57 am Reply with quote  
Message
  1337Jedi
Knight
Knight

Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 419

Just to bad Carrie Fisher doesn't! Ooohhhhhhhhhh! She was kinda funny at least at the roast she was just on.
_________________
Mara: "Not many people Dare to hug me"
Lando: "That leaves more of you for me then!"

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Mara Jade Skywalker
Master
Master

Joined: 15 Feb 2008
Posts: 5383
Location: Beyond Shadows

Carrie Fisher is hilarious. The woman makes me laugh.
_________________

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker



View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Darth Skuldren
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Posts: 6244
Location: Missouri

Another Crucible cover, this time with a Han tweak

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

_________________

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Reepicheep
Master
Master

Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 6510
Location: Sailing into the unknown

I like the new cover slightly better.
_________________

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

 PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  1337Jedi
Knight
Knight

Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 419

I like it, it takes a little bit of the "Damn kids get off my lawn" look that Han had when he was side profiled.
_________________
Mara: "Not many people Dare to hug me"
Lando: "That leaves more of you for me then!"

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:36 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Life Is The Path
Master
Master

Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 3742
Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I like it. Side by side, the old cover Han's nose looks a little too long - like Pinocchio.
_________________
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Draconic
Padawan
Padawan

Joined: 19 Feb 2013
Posts: 1

Darth_Henning wrote:
I can't say I'm surprised that people keep predicting that each book will be "the end of the big three". I remember speculation for that during the NJO, in Dark Nest, for LOTF and for FOTJ.

I doubt that its happening any time soon. Sue has made it clear for years that when that does happen, Lucas has to approve it. And I can't see him suddenly doing that right now. Also, when he does I think it will be dropped in a much bigger bombshell than a simple book anouncement at SDCC.
.....
Also, keep in mind, for this to be released in spring, that Denning was probably already working on it long before it was announced, possibly before Apocalypse was released, so it has to be something that was forseeable when they were at that point. And logically that would tie it into the Mortis stuff he had to cram in.


So this makes sense to me both in and out of universe. Far more so than killing off the big 3 all of a sudden in a simple standalone.

That's where I'm placing my bets.


Denning has been doing his best to kill characters that don't belong to him, including fan favorites on split second decisions to make a big impact. He's not a brilliant writer, so to make a mark on the series, he's mutilating it. He has reshaped the star wars EU dramatically by killing off so many important characters, and destroying others. I mean, he turns Tahiri from a sweet, bubbly girl into a slutty junky who has sex with her dead boyfriend's brother who turned into a sith lord in what was almost a play for play re-enactment of Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side. She wasn't even his character to begin with, and neither was Anakin! Not saying that people shouldn't be using them, just that killing them or dramatically changing their character is a lot like stealing. If he writes another Star Wars book, he'll only destroy the EU further. He freaking killed Mara Jade! She wasn't only a fantastic character, but she also was great merchandise! She was a valuable character, more so than even Anakin or Tahiri.
Star Wars is supposed to be a space age fairy tale, not the miserable soap opera that Denning has turned it into. If someone doesn't start rebooting from before the Yuuzhan Vong invasion soon, I've got a bad feeling that Star Wars will never have another happy ending. Actually, I'm trying to do just that.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Caedus_16
Master
Master

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4705
Location: Korriban

Draconic wrote:
Darth_Henning wrote:
I can't say I'm surprised that people keep predicting that each book will be "the end of the big three". I remember speculation for that during the NJO, in Dark Nest, for LOTF and for FOTJ.

I doubt that its happening any time soon. Sue has made it clear for years that when that does happen, Lucas has to approve it. And I can't see him suddenly doing that right now. Also, when he does I think it will be dropped in a much bigger bombshell than a simple book anouncement at SDCC.
.....
Also, keep in mind, for this to be released in spring, that Denning was probably already working on it long before it was announced, possibly before Apocalypse was released, so it has to be something that was forseeable when they were at that point. And logically that would tie it into the Mortis stuff he had to cram in.


So this makes sense to me both in and out of universe. Far more so than killing off the big 3 all of a sudden in a simple standalone.

That's where I'm placing my bets.


Denning has been doing his best to kill characters that don't belong to him, including fan favorites on split second decisions to make a big impact. He's not a brilliant writer, so to make a mark on the series, he's mutilating it. He has reshaped the star wars EU dramatically by killing off so many important characters, and destroying others. I mean, he turns Tahiri from a sweet, bubbly girl into a slutty junky who has sex with her dead boyfriend's brother who turned into a sith lord in what was almost a play for play re-enactment of Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side. She wasn't even his character to begin with, and neither was Anakin! Not saying that people shouldn't be using them, just that killing them or dramatically changing their character is a lot like stealing. If he writes another Star Wars book, he'll only destroy the EU further. He freaking killed Mara Jade! She wasn't only a fantastic character, but she also was great merchandise! She was a valuable character, more so than even Anakin or Tahiri.
Star Wars is supposed to be a space age fairy tale, not the miserable soap opera that Denning has turned it into. If someone doesn't start rebooting from before the Yuuzhan Vong invasion soon, I've got a bad feeling that Star Wars will never have another happy ending. Actually, I'm trying to do just that.


Uh...you know those decisions are made by the teams that set up the airlines, head editors and such right? Troy didn't want to kill Anakin Solo, he was ordered to.
_________________
Perfection is a lifelong pursuit requiring sacrifice. The only way to get it quicker is to sacrifice the most.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Werehunter
Knight
Knight

Joined: 08 Apr 2011
Posts: 351

And there's one of the draw backs of serial fiction. It's easy to blame the writer for everything that happens in the books, but unless they discuss how it came about it's impossible to know whose idea a certain event was. I don't think it was Dennings wish to turn Tahiri into what she ended up in Legacy of the Force and I'm not sure if her and Jacen were sleeping together. It wouldn't make since based on the lure he was using to drag her into the darkside. Oh and Jacen's fall was nothing like Anakin's. Anakin fell because he was afraid of losing what he loved, while Jacen was more than willing to lose what he loved if it meant stopping the dark future he saw.

Oh and Mara Jade wasn't even killed in his book.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:02 am Reply with quote  
Message
  Life Is The Path
Master
Master

Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 3742
Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

And Mara's death turned out to be Aaron Allston's idea. Tahiri's 'fall' started in the NJO, after Denning's book. And, while I can't be entirely sure, I think Tahiri's propositioning Ben was in a Traviss book.

I'm not entirely sure the complaint 'they weren't the writer's characters!' is even a valid argument anyway, in such a series.
_________________
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Luke92
Knight
Knight

Joined: 19 May 2011
Posts: 367
Location: England

http://www.randomhouse.com/book/7875/crucible-star-wars-by-troy-denning

New blurb

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

_________________
Hear me now
Words I vow
No f****** regrets
F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Caedus_16
Master
Master

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 4705
Location: Korriban

Luke92 wrote:
http://www.randomhouse.com/book/7875/crucible-star-wars-by-troy-denning

New blurb

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)


There's a good chance what you mention in your spoiler tags is how they'll work in the new films...
_________________
Perfection is a lifelong pursuit requiring sacrifice. The only way to get it quicker is to sacrifice the most.


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger

 PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  Luke92
Knight
Knight

Joined: 19 May 2011
Posts: 367
Location: England

Caedus_16 wrote:
Luke92 wrote:
http://www.randomhouse.com/book/7875/crucible-star-wars-by-troy-denning

New blurb

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)


There's a good chance what you mention in your spoiler tags is how they'll work in the new films...


Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

_________________
Hear me now
Words I vow
No f****** regrets
F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!


View user's profile Send private message

 PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote  
Message
  1337Jedi
Knight
Knight

Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 419

Caedus_16 wrote:
Luke92 wrote:
http://www.randomhouse.com/book/7875/crucible-star-wars-by-troy-denning

New blurb

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)


There's a good chance what you mention in your spoiler tags is how they'll work in the new films...


This I my fear as well, just call them old please, don't have them start playin with time!!
_________________
Mara: "Not many people Dare to hug me"
Lando: "That leaves more of you for me then!"

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."


View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 8 of 12
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Display posts from previous:

  

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights 2 by Scott Stubblefield