Facebook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I knew it! There's no escape...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Let Zuckerberg draw you into his web. Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
You can delete your account?! I was told you couldn't... once you joined, your soul was sold. Wink

By default, closing your account merely deactivates it (it is still saved though). Hidden from all view though, is an actual delete button. I do not remember exactly, but I believe after about 4 weeks, your account is completely scrubbed.

Follow its instructions and all your dreams will come true - https://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=224562897555674

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
I love Facebook. I check out the Star Wars page, the Del Rey page, the Dark Horse page and George Takei's page all the time. Plus other pages.

Plus I'm friended with a bunch of Star Wars authors -- Troy Denning, Matt Stover, Christie Golden, Aaron Allston, JJM -- to name a few. As in not their official page, but actually friended.

Oh and did I mention Sam Witwer? Yeah, friends with him too. Very Happy

Nice! I'm friends with Jake Lloyd and Bonnie Piesse (Aunt Beru from the PT).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote  

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Let Zuckerberg draw you into his web. Wink

I read this as "Let The Zuckerberg draw you into his web" Laughing

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
No, you shan't have us. We shall remain strong! Cool

You too eh? I guess you get to claim the special status of "Facebook Apocalypse Survivor" So in that spirit I shall continue my role *ahem* "Braaaains!" Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Well Facebook got me a couple of weeks ago. I blame iPhone 5.

http://soundcloud.com/city-approach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I avoid it for two major reasons:

1. Privacy. I don't want Facebook owning my soul, as is their goal. Once my information is given to them, I can never take it back. Scares me a little bit.

2. Drama. I am an emotional person by nature, and I know I wouldn't survive the drama of Facebook. I would rather just leave well enough alone.

And yes, @Salaris, when Facebook eventually takes over the world, I shall lead the resistance from under the radar. Watch out, John Connor, here comes Mara Jade.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My reasons are pretty much the same as Mara's (the difference being I'm not an overly emotional person and the drama would just get on my nerves). I also get a kick out of the shock value ("Wait... you're not on Facebook?!"). Makes me smile. Smile

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
I avoid it for two major reasons:

1. Privacy. I don't want Facebook owning my soul, as is their goal. Once my information is given to them, I can never take it back. Scares me a little bit.

2. Drama. I am an emotional person by nature, and I know I wouldn't survive the drama of Facebook. I would rather just leave well enough alone.

And yes, @Salaris, when Facebook eventually takes over the world, I shall lead the resistance from under the radar. Watch out, John Connor, here comes Mara Jade.

Pertaining to your statements...

1. Privacy: I simply made a new e-mail account that is used solely for Facebook so nothing can happen to it and even if it does it won't matter. I have a birthday there but have my current location listed as somewhere other than where I live and such so that there's literally nothing that can come of it. Facebook security is awful, but being clever can pretty much counter that.

2. Drama: I simply block from my wall (and consequently myself from their wall) anyone who bugs me. I have a few hundred people on there, but only about a dozen who can actually see the things I say or say things to me. People I'm close to only, and it doesn't take long.

With all this I can avoid the issues you stated Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

RE: Security:

You presumably have your name listed on there. If you don't but you have the internet in your home or on your phone, then you have your IP address logged to your account so anyone can see where you are and it is connected to your real name, address and bank account information in the database of your internet company. Facebook and users can't get that information, but the government and some financial companies can.

Along with that is all of the websites you vist and everything that you "like", which is sold to marketing companies to created consumer targeted advertising. That's how Facebook makes money.

If you use someone else's internet services, or use a system to hide your IP, then you are covered.

But you still have friends on facebook that give their real names and addresses, that can tag you with personal information like your school, work and real name and can post pictures of you, so it's not very hard to get that information about who you are and where you live.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

As far as the drama on facebook: you can unfriend or just hide stuff you don't want to see. I have a very good friend but we're politically polar opposites. I think the stuff she posts is obnoxious and I'm sure she thinks the same about me. I just hide anything I don't want to look at. You really can pretty much ignore (one way or the other) just about anything.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Dog: Yes... that would be why I'm not on Facebook. Confused

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

John Jackson Miller is the best. He wishes fans happy birthday on their walls. Most authors don't go the extra mile like that.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
RE: Security:

You presumably have your name listed on there. If you don't but you have the internet in your home or on your phone, then you have your IP address logged to your account so anyone can see where you are and it is connected to your real name, address and bank account information in the database of your internet company. Facebook and users can't get that information, but the government and some financial companies can.

Along with that is all of the websites you vist and everything that you "like", which is sold to marketing companies to created consumer targeted advertising. That's how Facebook makes money.

If you use someone else's internet services, or use a system to hide your IP, then you are covered.

But you still have friends on facebook that give their real names and addresses, that can tag you with personal information like your school, work and real name and can post pictures of you, so it's not very hard to get that information about who you are and where you live.

People can look me up via my friends, but as to all the other things I have...found ways around all of that. I'm paranoid with the internet and deservedly so (won't go into why) so I take excessive security measures with most things.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
John Jackson Miller is the best. He wishes fans happy birthday on their walls. Most authors don't go the extra mile like that.

He is the best. He went in and liked just about everyone's comments on the Star Wars Books (Del Rey) Kenobi post. He also took the time to reply to some. He's a genuinely nice guy. But I've found most of the authors to be genuinely nice people.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 8 of 10