What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:49 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Life Is The Path wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:
Tonight I plan to start re-reading "John Dies At The End" by David Wong. It's sequel, "The Book Is Full Of Spiders (Seriously Dude, Don't Touch it)" came in the mail last week.

Here's the trailer for the movie adaptation of John Dies At The End (for those not familiar with it). It's supposed to come out in Early 2013.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgrB7eaiFQQ

Isn't he the guy who writes for Cracked?

Yes he is. His Cracked articles often reference the books (in that he's often jokingly "buy this book!" or "this dude's a great author.")
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

This is SO meta:

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
This is SO meta:

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Aaaaaand purchased.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

JainaSolo wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
I'm reading The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner (per Jaina's recommendation) and A Graveyard For Lunatics by Ray Bradbury.

Hey! How did you know it was me?

There's a link to your blog in your profile. I saw it and put two and two together (JediChick = JainaSolo). Wink

I may need to put my two books on hold due to school reading though.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote  

I'm reading the second book in the Twilight Giants Trilogy by Troy Denning. I like his stories about Giants. They're both fun and amusing.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
JainaSolo wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
I'm reading The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner (per Jaina's recommendation) and A Graveyard For Lunatics by Ray Bradbury.

Hey! How did you know it was me?

There's a link to your blog in your profile. I saw it and put two and two together (JediChick = JainaSolo). Wink

Hmm... Yeah, I should've expected that you'd put Sherlock on this case... Just kidding! Smile
I'm currently rereading Wings because I finally got a chance to read the last book in the series. Too bad I didn't remember anything that happened in the previous three, so this is where I ended up, reading the whole series all over again.
But, no complaints here! It's very well written books! Razz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yep, the two books I mentioned earlier are on hold for now.

I am now reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and Pay It Forward by Catherine Ryan Hyde for school. The Book Thief is pretty good so far.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Finished The Liar. It was thoroughly entertaining. There were things I didn't like about it - chiefly the regular swapping of time periods, sometimes without clear indication of when it is (at one point I was imagining Healey as an old man, when in fact he was only about 1Cool, the main plot didn't really kick in until the last 100 pages or so, and the writing style is a little rough. As it's Stephen Fry's first novel, though, I felt rather lenient. Mainly because it was incredibly witty, charming and the twist at the end was superb. I'd quite recommend it. However, if you weren't a fan of Luceno's use of big words (to a degree that it hindered the book), you may not enjoy this book. Fry makes Luceno look like an amateur, in that regard.

I'm now reading Hunger Games. Sufficient time has passed since the hullaballoo a few months ago, and I'd forgotten most of what was said of it, so I thought now would be a good time to read it. Even then, I went in to it overly critical, not liking it very much, but it quickly grew on me. Katniss, especially. Well, at one point, when she got that 11, I did feel that she was encroaching on Mary Sue-ness, but looking back I don't think that's the case. She feels more rounded than that. Chiefly, she's quite a hard, somewhat unfriendly woman, and she's not presented in any other way - something that is ordinarily present in a 'Sue.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Life is like the Force - Luke Skywalker, Crucible. Damn straight I am.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

In regards to a use of big words, did anyone else struggle with the Coruscant Nights books? I am an avid reader, so my vocabulary is decent. But I continually had to reference a dictionary. Words like ecumenopolis, phantasmagorical, etc. Neutral

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
In regards to a use of big words, did anyone else struggle with the Coruscant Nights books? I am an avid reader, so my vocabulary is decent. But I continually had to reference a dictionary. Words like ecumenopolis, phantasmagorical, etc. Neutral

I know 'phantasmagorical' (thanks Lewis Carroll) but 'ecumenopolis'...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ecumenopolis was in the first sentence. Now get this, it means "planet city", basically Coruscant in a nutshell. Not even a word we could use in real conversation. It's a word invented for fiction! Meh. Neutral

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ecumenopolis was in the first sentence. Now get this, it means "planet city", basically Coruscant in a nutshell. Not even a word we could use in real conversation. It's a word invented for fiction! Meh. Neutral

Its more of a fusion word. Ecumenical and 'polis' are words, so basically they just combined them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, I kind of don't want to read a book written using the average person's vocabulary these days.

The other night my son and his GF were studying for their PSATs. I was amazed at the words they didn't know; words that I actually use in conversation. Honestly, I think it's because neither of them are big novel readers. Nothing wrong with broadening your vocabulary through reading.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Caedus: Yes, but it was like that throughout the book. Made it hard to read. To me, anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Caedus: Yes, but it was like that throughout the book. Made it hard to read. To me, anyway.

I've been kind of avoiding those, but I could stand to add a few new words to my vocabulary. After Darth Plagueis I felt like I definitely needed some expansion, so maybe I'l just read these for that purpose.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 76 of 106