The Politics Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote  

Okay, at this point if anyone wants to continue the abortion discussion, even if it's pertaining specifically to the political campaign, let's move it to the abortion thread just so things don't become to crowded here. There are plenty of other political topics worthy of coverage.

Abortion Thread Link

Moving along, what can we expect in the second presidential debate?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:38 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Okay, at this point if anyone wants to continue the abortion discussion, even if it's pertaining specifically to the political campaign, let's move it to the abortion thread just so things don't become to crowded here. There are plenty of other political topics worthy of coverage.

Abortion Thread Link

All I'll say- No I wasn't offended. I know my thoughts on it aren't the majority, and only slightly align with said majority.

Perhaps it has to do with losing 2 kids before they were born- IDK But for me since so much can happen to prevent a child's birth- I have a hard time giving the fetus full rights yet. (I will continue more in the abortion thread if need be, but really have nothing more. I just feel politically it was passed and the majority that opposes it have not turned it around yet so I feel that the majority has said its peace and the losers should find better ways to stop it.

In my head I see a system where it's available but never used.

So for me when this issue is the heart of why some one is voting for a Candidate... well it sits funny with me.

And I've never been fond of the back and forth with laws. One side passes a law the other spends their whole time reversing it so the other team can put it back on again. So I come from the "they tried to reverse it and lost; get over it" approach I guess. (and that's not meant to offend- just where my pov on it comes from. For I do find the act of aborting wrong. But I also see having children as a choice mature adults should be making in the first place, and if we choose to do the crime- well we best be ready to pay the fine.

And anytime the government steps in and takes away freedom of choice- well I'm against that.

So I don't think I've got anything more productive on that, but felt I should at least post that before moving any FURTHER on the abortion topic to that thread. (Getting into the abortion conversation wasn't my goal- just addressing the mentality that being against abortion and for pro choice is crazy (Not that anyone said those words- but the way it was being written made me think I was lol) And yet my stance makes sense to me... no wonder I'm illogical!

That said- discussing politics is never fun for me. It's WAY too convoluted for my liking.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

-
Darth Skuldren wrote:

I expect Obama to continue to pin all the failures of his administration on Bush, though he will constantly attempt to duck questions about his policies by demonizing Romney's character instead. More importantly, he will be artificially energetic so as to not have a repeat of the last debate. Hardcore liberals will claim an Obama victory, regardless of the fact that Romney will win the debate according to most polls.

So the outcome will pretty much be the same as last time, only with a more aggressive Obama. Also, Chris "thrill up my leg" Mathews won't claim Obama lost this time Wink . That is my prediction.

-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Autobon wrote:
-
Darth Skuldren wrote:

I expect Obama to continue to pin all the failures of his administration on Bush, though he will constantly attempt to duck questions about his policies by demonizing Romney's character instead. More importantly, he will be artificially energetic so as to not have a repeat of the last debate. Hardcore liberals will claim an Obama victory, regardless of the fact that Romney will win the debate according to most polls.

Switch Obama with Romney - and that's my predicted reaction for the Republican party. Both parties will proclaim victory either way, regardless of actual performance.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Autobon wrote:
I expect Obama to continue to pin all the failures of his administration on Bush...

Switch Obama with Romney - and that's my predicted reaction for the Republican party. Both parties will proclaim victory either way, regardless of actual performance.

Romney will blame all his policies on Bush? Razz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Autobon wrote:
Dancelittleewok wrote:
Autobon wrote:
I expect Obama to continue to pin all the failures of his administration on Bush...

Romney will blame all his policies on Bush? Razz

You knew what I meant. Razz Romney will deny Bush's influence on the economy and continue to push for the failed policies that brought us into a recession to begin with. Better? Wink

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

-

Just teasing Dance Smile

On a separate note, both campaigns actually agree on something! Hurray! As most of you probably know, the moderator for the upcoming debate will be Candy Crowley. She seems to have upset the Obama and Romney campaigns, because they both decided to complain to the Commission on Presidential Debates about her following remarks about her role -

“Once the table is kind of set by the town-hall questioner, there is then time for me to say, ‘Hey, wait a second, what about X, Y, Z?’”

This of course goes completely against how a town hall debate traditionally works. After getting a lot of negative coverage, Crowley continues to spout off the same nonsense - “I understand that I’m there. I’m not a fly on the wall... I’m going to react organically to what’s happening.”

The story from Politico states: Crowley’s role, according to the contract signed by both campaigns, is limited to “managing” the discussion. She is not supposed to “rephrase the question or open a new topic,” “ask follow-up questions” “or otherwise intervene in the debate except to acknowledge the questioners from the audience or enforce the time limits, and invite candidate comments during the two-minute response period.”

And remember, this is the same lady that said Ryan was a Romney campaign "death wish." This is going to make for an interesting and horribly bias debate...

-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

They should have gotten John Stewart. He'll attack idiocy not matter what party you belong to.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

-

While he is deeply and unapologetically liberal, John Stewart at least has the integrity not to masquerade as a "journalist." I would prefer him over Crowley any day, as he would at least do his job correctly.

-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Good point. While Stewart may make more of a distinction than other networks that his show is more entertainment than education, it's not clear that is the way his viewers see it, since apparently he's given more political credibility than people who are actually involved in politics.

Getting young people interested in politics is a good thing, but the Daily Show is one of the worst things to happen to the political sphere, IMO. It just confuses political issues by putting an emphasis on "hot button" issues, no less than other news outlets, and boiling them down to "talking points" for the people who don't care to or believe that they should put any effort into actually researching topics before making decisions on them. Wost of all this behavior in the populace just encourages the same degree of duplicity in politicians instead of real political discourse.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
They should have gotten John Stewart. He'll attack idiocy not matter what party you belong to.

Autobon wrote:
-

While he is deeply and unapologetically liberal, John Stewart at least has the integrity not to masquerade as a "journalist." I would prefer him over Crowley any day, as he would at least do his job correctly.

-

They should get John Stewart. I would love it if it were moderated by a member of the Green Lantern Corps.

Sorry, I like playing with typographical errors Smile

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
They should get John Stewart. I would love it if it were moderated by a member of the Green Lantern Corps.

Lol. Ok, sorry - Jon.

On a related note, I actually thought my middle name was "Johnathan" until I had to renew my passport. Then I found out it was actually "Jonathan." *facepalm*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Good point. While Stewart may make more of a distinction than other networks that his show is more entertainment than education, it's not clear that is the way his viewers see it, since apparently he's given more political credibility than people who are actually involved in politics.

Getting young people interested in politics is a good thing, but the Daily Show is one of the worst things to happen to the political sphere, IMO. It just confuses political issues by putting an emphasis on "hot button" issues, no less than other news outlets, and boiling them down to "talking points" for the people who don't care to or believe that they should put any effort into actually researching topics before making decisions on them. Wost of all this behavior in the populace just encourages the same degree of duplicity in politicians instead of real political discourse.

The internet itself hasn't helped with this either since bloggers and front-page-on-MSN-news and such is taken more seriously than overall issues. When the same guy who edits the Battlestar Gallactica Wiki page from his mom's basement can also be seen as a serious political commentator we have problems, and this grows more common as people can now say anything on the internet pretty much anywhere. Because of all this people will always find either things to educate them poorly or things to reinforce things they already think whether its right or not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

-

It was not enough that Biden completely lied about Libya, where the administration let American citizens die and then told us there was a protest about a movie (oh, by the way, another huge lie!) Now it comes out that he lied about the 2014 Afghanistan deadline as well.

Unbelievable.

Luckily for Obama, he has Hillary to throw under the bus. We can all breathe easy though! Rolling Eyes There is an "investigation" now under way that will undoubtedly take long after the election to be completed. After all, Hillary just wants to "[avoid] some kind of political gotcha or blame game."

Obama: completely inept on the economy and foreign policy. I can't wait for four more years of this hope and change.

-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I saw this on Facebook. How sad... But he hit the nail on the head:

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

(Put in spoiler tags because it's kinda big. It's not inappropriate.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 36 of 40