Gender Issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Taral-DLOS your Father sounds like a wise man! Sound answer.

Dancelittleewok wrote:

Quote:
It neglects several points that reduce their seniority compared to their piers, or make them less practical candidates for the position. On average:

- women more time off, not including maternity leave reducing years on the job
- women work fewer hours per week, and less overtime, reducing experience
- women retire (on average) two years before men, reducing time they have the seniority to be selected for such positions, and the duration of their tenures in such positions

I don't know about you guys, but when there's a family crisis, it's not Dad who takes time off. It's Mom. It seems men don't try to do it all. Men throw everything into business, while women have to juggle a family and a career. Do gender roles explain why women work less, take more time off, etc.?

I'd like to think that it's a no. That the couples are weighing their options.

Like when I worked for Kodak for ten years it was my wife who would take the time off since I made a lot more at that time. Unless it was for a long stretch when I would take the time off and get it covered under vacation or FMLA. But now SHE'S the one who makes more. SO I take the time off, unless it's long and she uses her benefits to cover it.

So I'd like to think that people are choosing based on financial sense vs what gender.

But I also grew up with a Father who worked all the time and a Stay at home Mom until we moved to the southern end of the state and my Mom became liberated- she's big into women's rights, and liberating women who are in poor relationships where the men dominate the woman still because they think they can. It's sad that some people have not evolved in some regards. And close-mindedness will always exist.

I can't deny that Gender issues exists. I just try to think and be positive about it. Raise my son to break the mold, respect all life, and to do right/ good deads, and my Daughters to be fierce strong willed independent women who take no guff from anyone. When it comes to things that can be taken in more than one way- I try to go with the positive ones.

Like for example I recently learned the term Co-Ed stands for MORE than just both sexes, sure enough at one point it did mean for ladies classes/ programs, but now that use of the word is almost completely obsolete, the other definitions/ uses have become the standard when people hear the word.

Thankfully, the sexist version of the word is now all but obsolete enough that I'm mid 30's and had never heard it used as anything more than meaning boys and girls together.

I'd like to think my children will all grow up in a more equal world due to how my Mom raised me and the lengths she went to, standing up for what is right. She still comes across men who talk down to her. And when she sends me or my Dad to deal with them they always act like I or he knows more than she did. The idiots. Half the time my Mom's 90% more versed than I. My Dad is humble enough to recognize that my Mom is a lot smarter and shrewder than he is when it comes to money. But my Dad also was raised by a Catholic Swiss Dairy Farmer, so my Dad can at times be a little thick to some of it too.

So I guess I'm mixed on it. For I can see it exist in places. My Mom seems convinced that Romney is part of a war against women's rights. But she goes all over the net these days, so I'm not sure half of what she reads isn't just spin, spin, spin. But I choose to think that at the end of the day most things are less about Gender and more about thought out decisions.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

-

I found this interesting...

"Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says in a new interview that she can’t stand “whining” by women who are unhappy with the work and family choices they’ve made in life and complain that they have no options."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1012/82586.html

-

Last edited by Autobon on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8675829&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S0003055412000226

http://polisci.unm.edu/common/documents/htun_apsa-article.pdf
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Maybe a little bit of user content with the posted links, folks? Don't want to just spam the place with URLs - especially when nobody is given any context to know what they're about to click on.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Old Master Ben wrote:
Maybe a little bit of user content with the posted links, folks? Don't want to just spam the place with URLs - especially when nobody is given any context to know what they're about to click on.

Indeed! What he said. I'll not click a link unless I know where it's going. And in terms of the forums. Adding comments at least adds legitimacy to the post. Dropping the link and hoping/ assuming the readers will read it; well if they don't all the link is now is just spam. So please- give the link more relevance. Wink

EDIT: Thanks Autobon!

Ps- I did check out your link. That was pretty interesting indeed.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Here's a list on the ways males are more privileged than females:

http://www.amptoons.com/blog/the-male-privilege-checklist/
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I didn't read that list yet, but I have a few issues with the preamble.

Even though this is generalizing about men, it shouldn't apply to non straight men and trans men.

I don't believe in an heirarchy of oppression, so I won't say who has more privilege, just that the relationships and experiences between straight and cis men and women and those that are not are not the same.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

I don't believe in an heirarchy of oppression, so I won't say who has more privilege, just that the relationships and experiences between straight and cis men and women and those that are not are not the same.

What system or explanation do you use to account for the discrepancy then?

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DLE, I'm not really sure what you are asking.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
DLE, I'm not really sure what you are asking.

Allow me to be more clear. If you don't believe in a hierarchy, then what do you believe to explain for the different experiences between straight and cis men and women?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Forget the phrase "hierarchy of oppression", that's a different issue that I was attempting to bring up, but it's really hard to for me to clearly state what I was talking about so I'm just going to drop that point.

Let me rephrase my original statement: The situations in the article apply mostly to heterosexual cisgender men. This is oversimplifying the issue of male privilege and is irrelevant to nonhetero and trans people.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote  

so a friend of mine posted this video on Facebook and I thought people might find it interesting: http://www.ted.com/talks/colin_stokes_how_movies_teach_manhood.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Has gender affected your fandom experience at all? Is it easier to be a fanboy or a fangirl? Or doesn't it even matter?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote  

I'd hazard the guess that among crowds that look down on fandom you're screwed guy or girl.

I'd also guess that, to some degree, physical appearance might also come into play (ie are you the nerdy kid with the coke bottle frames or do you look like a normal, or even cool person). At least from what little I've observed the guy who looks like your stereotypical nerd its more vulnerable to mockery than the guy who looks normal or cool. I dunno if it is easier to be a fangirl or guy but I'm pretty sure it is way easier to be a fan if you don't look/act like a stereotypical nerd.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Has gender affected your fandom experience at all? Is it easier to be a fanboy or a fangirl? Or doesn't it even matter?

Hit a con. I'll say it now, unless you're a writer or you have a ridiculously awesome costume being a fangirl is easier in some ways, and awful in others. You'll get more positive attention, but its mostly because you're a pretty female nerd, not because you're smart or in-depth about the world you love reading about. Its sad to watch sometimes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 6 of 8