The Walking Dead Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This is a little more Zombie Survival thread than Walking Dead specific, but i'll field that question.

An axe would be better at decapitation than a sword. It's heavier and so can impart much more force to tear the skin and smash the bone, instead of cutting through it. That's why it was preferred as an instrument for execution.

A sword might be more preferable as weapon of self-defense though because it is lighter and easier to carry. It has a good heft to it and on a living person it has been used to decapitate, as Cadeus pointed out. In reality both usually required more than one strike to fully severe a head and spinal bones. It shouldn't be a problem with a zombie.

At over two weeks of body decay muscle tissue will be breaking down and bones should come apart pretty easily. It's odd that most Zombies you see in movies appear to be at a state of decay between 2 weeks and a month or two. They rarely are shown as decaying further than that for some reason. At six months a corpse can be fully skeletonised, depending on the conditions, so I wouldn't expect any bodies that have been exposed to the elements for that time to be physiologically capable of walking around.

In real life if the dead were reanimated, assuming that their decay rate had not been halted, as there is no reason to suggest so, you'd simply have to wait a while and natural process would dissolve them into no longer posing a threat.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Quote:
At over two weeks of body decay muscle tissue will be breaking down and bones should come apart pretty easily. It's odd that most Zombies you see in movies appear to be at a state of decay between 2 weeks and a month or two. They rarely are shown as decaying further than that for some reason. At six months a corpse can be fully skeletonised, depending on the conditions, so I wouldn't expect any bodies that have been exposed to the elements for that time to be physiologically capable of walking around.

Hmm. I think you answered your own wonder. Let me rework what's been said above:

At over two weeks of body decay muscle tissue will be breaking down and bones should come apart pretty easily. At six months a corpse can be fully skeletonised, depending on the conditions. Any bodies that have been exposed to the elements for that time [are] physiologically [in]capable of walking around. [This is why] most Zombies you see in movies appear to be at a state of decay between 2 weeks and a month or two. They rarely are shown as decaying further than that.

The reason we don't see zombies past that period of decay is because zombies past that period are unable to walk, unable to perform their undead duties, and as such are merely lying on the ground, doing nothing. And we don't see those useless zombies in movies (and in this series) because it's not interesting to have the camera focus on them, when there are active zombies, (un)dead for only a few weeks, attacking the main cast.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Good point. But it's still not very realistic. I think we can all breath a little easier in anticipation of the zombie apocalypse.

In TWD they have said that zombies can only be created by transmission from another zombie or having died of other causes not brain damaging since the inception of the zombie virus outbreak. In other words people who were already dead at the beginning of TWD didn't and won't come back. From that perspective we have an even more limited zombie population.

The In-universe explanation has to be that upon becoming a zombie you are not merely "reanimated" whatever that means, but that your cells become partially alive and you don't decay anymore. That still doesn't jibe up with decay though if no "old" dead are becoming Zombies. I think we can assume that zombies diminishing by natural causes isn't going to come into play... or has it? I haven't read that far in the comic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:54 am Reply with quote  

You know, if the zombies are all fragile, half decayed corpses, explosives would be extremely effective on them. The concussive blasts would tear them to pieces.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote  

New season has begun. Feel free to discuss here.

Poor Hershel. Anyone else feel Rick went a little overboard with the hacking? Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Actually that scene was straight out of the comics, only there Dale had survived much longer and was the one to have his leg hacked off (though not the first time it was tried).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Walking Thread has returned to life!

Eh, I don't have much to say about season three ep. one. It felt short to me, like 35 minute runtime w/ commercials.

Carl is still annoying. Some people see badass, I see tween punkass and probably in line to become Shane Jr.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

Last edited by Dog-Poop_Walker on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
The Walking Thread has returned to life!

Eh, I don't have much to say about season two ep. one. It felt short to me, like 35 minute runtime w/ commercials.

Carl is still annoying. Some people see badass, I see tween punkass and probably in line to become Shane Jr.

Have you kept current with the comics? He's becoming the little sociopath we all knew he could be (albeit slowly).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Actually that scene was straight out of the comics, only there Dale had survived much longer and was the one to have his leg hacked off (though not the first time it was tried).

Ah, so the show is begining to deviate from the comics. To what extent?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hogy wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:

Its always deviated quite significantly. Shane getting as many episodes as he did was an extreme deviation, he died before they even left the woods in the comics. That kid they captured, Shane's survival, Daryl, T-Dog, none of that was in the comics. And now I'm nervous because the storyline they're starting is the best part of the entire 103 issue run, and if they botch this I could actually be done with the show.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Hogy wrote:
Caedus_16 wrote:

Its always deviated quite significantly. Shane getting as many episodes as he did was an extreme deviation, he died before they even left the woods in the comics. That kid they captured, Shane's survival, Daryl, T-Dog, none of that was in the comics. And now I'm nervous because the storyline they're starting is the best part of the entire 103 issue run, and if they botch this I could actually be done with the show.

Oh. I didn't know that. None of you comic readers ever complained.
Guess to you it must feel something like, hmm lets say Star Wars clone wars era comics VS TCW.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh, the comics readers complain plenty. You probably just don't read about the show on sites where they are at for the most part.

I've only read the first 10 issues or so of the comic. I wanted to get caught up in the off season but just didn't get around to it. Now I probably won't read it again, at least till the end of the season, to avoid spoilers.

here's a pretty in depth comparison between the first episode and the comics

http://screencrush.com/walking-dead-season-3-comic-tv-comparison/
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Oh, the comics readers complain plenty. You probably just don't read about the show on sites where they are at for the most part.

A lot of the complaints are about the action. The comics are constantly full of grotesque zombies and are beyond more violent. The show is choosing to focus more on character work, which I am ok with. The show also has a unique opportunity to do things differently. I'll toss the best of the opportunities in spoiler tags, you can read it or not but it is a rather decent comic spoiler and Kirkman's view on it.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

That example is one of many that are being done. Dale's death last season was extremely premature if the show was to follow the comics, but it was because of the actor's desire to leave the show due to the departure of Frank Darabont and their friendship. Most of the cast was angered over that, but the actor portraying Dale was a personal friend and had appeared in The Mist and a few other of his productions so when he was fired the actor wanted out to. These kinds of things make it so that the show can never follow the comics as anything more than a brief outline subject to change. The fans of the comics can either be angry about it (which will of course happen) or they can see the show as a different entity and try to enjoy it on that level.

The internet is rarely a good place to judge how the majority feel. If it were Catwoman would be one of DC's most critically acclaimed comics. Many of the readers of the source material for the blood-drenched story are interested in well-written plot, character development, and the black-and-white blend of art to match a harsh and depressing tone. But there is also a huge amount who are only interested in blood, gore, and sex (which the comic features aplenty). Case and point... (I won't go into too much detail, but just in case I'm tossing it in spoiler tags)

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

This may disappoint some to hear but many fans are what I call "Coldplayers". Coldplay fans notoriously gobble up anything they toss out regardless of the quality (A Rush of Blood to the Head was good, Viva la Vida had more experimentation than most thought they were capable of, but other than that they've coasted on being basically a U2 tribute band. Regardless of these facts their fans spend millions, praise them online, and are responsible for allowing this to become one of the most successful bands in history (and only 5 albums into their career). Fans of the comics are becoming 'Coldplayers'. Many are willing to read and praise because that's all they know, and as long as the harsh language and violence flow its all they need. They are the majority of the online community (maybe not by much, but they are) and people who read for serious, well-written story stay silent for some reason.

Sad really. To you, DPW, I recommend picking up the first compendium. It consists of the first 48 issues and is the best of the series. It is only after those issues that the quality began to drop. In fact unless it picks up again soon I may consider the comics to be done at that issue, the rest is of varying quality ranging from 'absolute crap' to 'decent enough to be semi-interesting'. You're 10 issues in, but they've already deviated so much that I honestly don't know how much the comics will spoil for you.

EDIT: As to the article you posted...I dig that. I love comparing. The problem I find with people who complain about continuity is that right from the beginning they said the show would be a different thing so being a continuity stickler was always a waste of time. In fact it was one of Kirkman's first announcements, and he's stuck to it the whole run. I love comparing but only because I genuinely don't know what will happen next. If I were being a continuity stickler I'd have stopped watching years ago, and a lot of the complaints online are from people who can't accept that the show is a different thing. Its taking inspiration, not just using the comics as a screenplay. And sadly some fans can't accept that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote  

So Rick had to deal with the inmates, and what unfolded was only half expected. On the one hand, I'm glad Rick did just decided to kill them all because his wife gave him the okay to do so. On the other hand, I'm kind of surprised he killed the one guy who ran away. As morally ambiguous as killing the first guy was, killing the second guy was highly questionable. I'd say he went too far on killing him. But killing that first guy was a good move. That guy was nuts, uncontrollable, and unpredictable. Sooner or later he would have caused trouble. Everyone was safer without him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
So Rick had to deal with the inmates, and what unfolded was only half expected. On the one hand, I'm glad Rick did just decided to kill them all because his wife gave him the okay to do so. On the other hand, I'm kind of surprised he killed the one guy who ran away. As morally ambiguous as killing the first guy was, killing the second guy was highly questionable. I'd say he went too far on killing him. But killing that first guy was a good move. That guy was nuts, uncontrollable, and unpredictable. Sooner or later he would have caused trouble. Everyone was safer without him.

Rick isn't a good person this season, and they want to display that early. He will have huge comparisons to The Governor because they are Batman and the Joker, the same side of the same coin printed in a different year, etc. They are the same person who reacted to the apocalypse in different ways. Rick is almost a villain. The only thing that makes him good is that The Governor is a full on monster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 2 of 11