Where Does Your Fandom Reside
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Where Does Your Fandom Reside
 PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:23 am Reply with quote  

Everyone here is a Star Wars fan, but there are a lot of different types of Star Wars fans. So the questions is: what's your favorite part of Star Wars? What's the thing that keeps you coming back for more and you can't wait for the next release? What's the big draw for you?

When it comes to Star Wars, does your fandom focus on the comics, the books, literature in general, the movies, the tv show? Are you primarily a collector? Do you focus on action figures, LEGOS, Sideshow Collectible statues, etc? Or are you a costumer?

Whatever your Star Wars fandom focus is, feel free to share it here.

For me, I'm really big on the literature side of Star Wars. I love the novels and the comics. I like reading, listening, or watching interviews with the creators. Each book release is what keeps me addicted to Star Wars.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:11 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Books and the TV show for me, I like seeing more depth added to the universe.
F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Novels and comics, though I live for making new fans of the franchise. The big weapons in my arsenal are ESB, RotS novel, Darth Plagueis novel, and the KotoR comics.

Last night I showed a friend AotC. We skipped TPM because that's the one he saw already. When it was over he looked at me and said "Well that was pretty, but promise me it only gets better from here." I reassured him.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The novels for me. Though mainly post ROTJ novels. I think they jammed into many books into the Prequel era and decided to stick with just one era. Though every now and then I pick up books that take place before ROTJ, mainly Zahn's books.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Books, books, books! Ive watched TCW some, but I'm a die-hard novel fan, and have now officially read every one. For me some of the best things are the themes are the choices and good vs. Evil. Ya we see the super powerful Anakin, but we also get the Han Solo, and others, just normal guys whose choices affected the universe.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Intellectual property for me (Movies, novels, comics, TV series). Currently: Novels>comics>TV>PC games.

I do not collect SW merchandise. I don't have a single toy or a T-shirt with a SW written on it.

I only have 2/137? Insiders.

I don't follow release dates, authors and such, because you guys do it for me. And I love you for it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I mostly love the books. I'm a bookworm so that would have been expected.
The other thing is lightsabers. I think the most awesome thing of Star Wars (after Darth Vader) is lightsabers. And not just seeing the battles in the movies but whenever I see the word "lightsaber" in an EU book I start to lean a bit into the book.
Once when I was really...you know...sort of like "Eh, okay" on Star Wars I saw a video of all the lightsaber battles in the movies and suddenly I was remembered of how awesome it really is! Cool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Back in the day it used to be everything SW.

Now it's just vintage 77 thru 85 toys and related merch that really got me back into SW. Especially any atypical stuff, like foreign promos and bootlegs. Also custom toys a bit.

I'll read a novel if it interests me or pick up anything else SW that seems cool, but I don't buy many books.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Books, comics, and T.V for me. The movies are great but when I think of epic SW moments I find more scenes from novels or comics will come to mind before events in the movies. The Clone Wars is an awesome show as well, my bottem line view on it is this the movies are over if we want to see any other form of new SW stories in cinematic form the CW is it! How could any fan not be behind this show (regardless of continuity toes being steped on from time to time)

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Novels and comics mostly. Movies, tv, and action figures too, but they take a back burner. Comics have definitely taken center stage lately though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Primarily the Original Trilogy. Those movies are what I fell in love with and everything else is just an extra. Of those extras, my biggest interest is the books. I love to read and I love Star Wars, so it's two of my passions combined. I'm not that big on comics or video games so I only play or read the occasional one. I've mostly lost interest in Star Wars television. I used to obsessively collect toys when I was younger and, while I still own them all, I've since stopped buying.

I also love the Jedi and their "elegant weapon for a more civilized age". One of the reasons I watched Star Wars (other than the fact that it was Star Wars), was the idea of a highly trained swordfighter being able to defeat gun fighters. Whenever I read a book about knights (which was a whole lot when I was a kid) I was always saddened by the ending and the invention of gunpowder and pike formations. The knight who has the best armour and training can now be defeated by any idiot with a gun. I loved the idea of futuristic knights being able to hold their own against the gun-wielding masses.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mostly the stories for me. Novels, comics, RPGs, Movies, TV series, Short stories, etc.

Not sure I really have a hierarchy for them, but basically anything that expands the saga.

As for merchandise, I do have a collection of varying intensity, but its definitely secondary:
- all (except 1) Star Wars LEGO sets
- all (except 3) Star Wars Hallmark ornaments (still working on that)
- a few dozen action figures (mostly clones, rogue squadron, and EU characters)
- a half-dozen t-shirts (because when i go to nerdy board-game night, i have to wear something)
- some other random cool stuff (lightsaber umbrella, lamp, etc)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I also love the Jedi and their "elegant weapon for a more civilized age". One of the reasons I watched Star Wars (other than the fact that it was Star Wars), was the idea of a highly trained swordfighter being able to defeat gun fighters. Whenever I read a book about knights (which was a whole lot when I was a kid) I was always saddened by the ending and the invention of gunpowder and pike formations. The knight who has the best armour and training can now be defeated by any idiot with a gun. I loved the idea of futuristic knights being able to hold their own against the gun-wielding masses.

High five to that, Reep! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

*high fives*

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I'm so with you Reep!I, like Jaina, am a TOTAL bookworm, but I don't read the books! I liked the movies, and I guess that's it. I like looking into and discussing the characters, I'm that kinda person.
I'm not the kind of SW fan that you might recognize when you see me, I like the movies and that's that.
So BTW, I love the EUC as well...does that count? Very Happy
But the thing that keeps me coming back every single time, the highlight of everything SW, the most awesome thingy on Earth, or for that matter in the Galaxy, the one that completes me is.....drum roll..... R2!!!
All hail R2D2!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 2